Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Boyfriend lives in Italy, me in NYC want to meet for a week in August.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi my boyfriend lives in milan and has to take a week off of work the week of August 15th. He really wants to go to Asia and it appears to have fallen to me to plan it. Any ideas as to where to go? Please any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:39 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
We need more information to offer suggestions. Are you looking for a beach getaway? A city vacation? Culture/ruins? Give us some ideas about your interests and what kind of vacation you have in mind, and you'll get much better responses.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, was it that obvious it was my first time trying this? Well he's 30 and I'm 25. I think he'd prefer the beach but personally I'd much rather wander through cities or hike and such. He really wants Japan but has heard that the weather is just too much. Money isn't the easiest thing but the flights would be taken care of because I travel so much for my job. If I had my preference maybe something off the beaten path a little? Just a flat out awesome holiday that's hopefully on the romantic side as we don't get to see each other much. Is that better?
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:19 PM

i always push thailand for a first timer or hong kong....both are well set up for asian experiences....thailand is cheaper....you can have lux, real lux for about $200 per nite or very nice accomodations for $100-150 and even less...

august is not the best time, but it is low season, just before the rains however....you can have both city and beach...
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:39 PM

I would vote for Bali. Doesn't have cities to wander through, but weather is ideal in August, and it's super romantic with a rich, exotic culture and wonderful people. Spent a lot of time there when I was your age and it was one of my best travel experiences ever.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:45 PM

bali is a good suggestion but no city life...
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:54 PM

My vote would be for Bali - great weather at that time of year, lots of great hiking,nice beaches,really nice people and some amazing hotels in all ranges. No cities as such but you really do want a day or two in a city you could perhaps stop off in Singapore. as to where in Bali, this would depend upon your budget and how far you wanted to be "off the beaten path" track.

Like rhkkmk I would normally suggest Thailand but in August I feel that you could be a little dissappointed with the weather, but it is low season and hotel rates will probably be cheaper than in Bali where it is high season.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! He's also brought up Macau but to me it seems to just be very Las Vegas like (which I hate) but any thoughts? I love the idea of Bali and/or Thailand! Since I'm new to this forum can I keep asking q's as I make more detailed decisions?
Thanks again
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:19 AM

Danie
Absolutely... ask away! You will find this board to be very helpful with your planning.

I've not been to Bali, but I have been to Thailand 10 times. It would be my choice, for sure. I'd spend a few days in Bangkok and then select one of the beach areas for and few more days, and then return to Bangkok for the rest of the time, no doubt flying home from there.

Since you are going in August, you might want to pick Koh Samui over Phuket because of weather concerns. I've been to both islands during this time of the year. We had rain in both locations, but it is my understanding that Samui might be better at this time, over Phuket. JamesA will probably chime in with weather advice.

I flew into and out of Tokyo in August a couple of years ago (enroute to BKK) and the "typhoon" they were having at the time would NOT be a fun way to spend a "romantic" vacation. I'm sure Japan is lovely, but that weather sure gave me some second thoughts... haha

DO ask your questions, in any case.

Carol
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:01 PM

Danie
You might want to search through for some posts with photo links for the destinations and see what appeals to you that way too. Time might be a consideration too. If the 7 days include travel from Milan, that's still a good 12+ hours by air to Asia, with airport time that's a big part of 2 days traveling, so you've just got 5 on the ground.
We did Bali this year, Thailand last. Bali would be my vote for romantic -- I've been married 19 years and I felt like I was on my honeymoon. You could spend a few days on the beach, a few days inland in Ubud, travel around for a day -- it's all very accessible and close together. Bangkok and a beach would entail more flying/trips to airports.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi all
I have been checking out people's trip reports and photos and first I'd like to say you guys are a great community and I am so excited to be a part of it. As for the travel thing, I don't know if it will be a week it might be more as the summer is coming and finding cheap flights to scoot off to Milan for a weekend is becoming nearly impossible, so we're thinking at least 10 now. Also, we would just meet wherever we decide on. Example if it is Thailand then I'll fly west from nyc and he'll fly east from milan and we'll meet there. It's a whole lot cheaper and quicker this way. So far the trip reports and research I've done on Thailand just looks amazing. Culturally and with a beach and cheap! The few pictures of Bali do look romantic but I suppose I'll present the options to him and get some feedback, but if he says something like Ireland or something I will scream!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:41 PM

Danie, A combination of Bali and Singapore sounds like it would suit your needs. Singapore Airlines flies non-stop from Newark to Singapore and from Milan to Singapore. You could spend a couple of days in Singapore then connect on to Bali (Denpasar).

In Bali plan a few days inland in the Ubud area soaking up culture and a few days on the beach soaking up sun. Perfecto!

August is the best weathwise, though it's high season and the rates are inflated. There are all kinds of accomodations in Bali at all kinds of budgets.

The only caveat I would mention is that if the bf is thinking Macau or Japan, then Bali or Thailand are on the other end of the spectrum. Maybe you need to talk through your mutual expectations.

Not sure what he means by "too much" re the weather in Japan in August. It's much like Milan. The farther south you go, e.g., Macau, Bangkok, Singapore, it just gets hotter.