Boutique Hotel in Lantau??

Feb 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Boutique Hotel in Lantau??

Hi friend,

My dear husband has asked me to find a hotel for him on his last night in HK...he will be in Lantau, the date he needs this room is foro arrival on March 3rd, and departure on March 4th.

He has specifially asked me to find a cool/hip/centurally located boutique hotel for him.

I have no idea if such a thing even exists in Lantau.

I'm not going on this trip to Asia, so I'm not super excited to be asked to find said hotel.

I immediatly thought of you, my Fodorite friends, to help me look good and come through for my DH.

So...any ideas?
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Unfortunately, there is no hotel on Lantau that one might qualify as "boutique" (whatever the heck that word means). There are currently two hotels in Lantau, both at the airport: The Regal and the Novotel. Any are fine and functional, the Regal is atached to the terminal, the Novotel Citygate is a few minutes' taxi or shuttle bus ride away. (There are a few backpacker-type 2 star hostels in Silvermine Bay, I would not suggest he stay there. See the Lonleyplanet guide if he thinks he wants those.) http://www.regalairport.com, http://www.novotel.com,

However, IMO, it is not necessary to stay on Lantau at all on a trip to Hong Kong, as it is an easy train trip to or from Hong Kong, or a fast taxi or even a bus ride. It's less than half an hour generally. He could easily stay in a "boutique" hotel in Central and take the train out to whatever business he needs to attend to in Lantau (is he attending a conference or convention at the Airport convention centre?), he could then actually see something of Hong Kong on his off hours. If you can give me a budget I can suggest some, the first that comes to mind would be the Hotel LKF see at http://www.hotel-lkf.com.hk/. I honestly don't know what is meant by "boutique" so if you could be more specific as to what he is looking for, that might be helpful. Some of the finest hotels in the world are in Hong Kong. For other choices, see lhw.com and shl.com, also consult the Luxe Guide, which while perhaps irreverent in tone, do IMO have some spot-on hotel recommendations. http://www.luxecityguides.com/

I don't know if you your husband understand that Lantau is basically a very large but rural and undeveloped island which contains little other than (i) a developed area around the airport consisting of the airport, the said two hotels and some apartment buildings with a tiny and unremarkable town centre, (ii) Hong Kong Disney, and (iii) an apartment development primarily for expatriates called Discovery Bay (no hotels there, best access is by ferry). Otherwise it is high hills, some marvelous walking paths, monasteries and some small fishing villages. While interesting, on a one day business trip to Hong Kong, he is not going to have time to see any of those areas. That is why it is not necessary, or really a good idea, to stay on Lantau on a trip to Hong Kong. Even if you have an early flight out of the airport, you can generally stay in town and make it out to the airport easily.

Feb 4th, 2008, 08:08 PM

Technically, the two hotels at Disneyland also qualify - the Disneyland Hotel and the Hollywood. Plus, at Silvermine Bay/Mui Wo, there's the Silvermine Beach Hotel.

But otherwise, Cicerone is absolutely correct. Nothing boutique-y, and nothing cool, hip or centrally located.

Stay in the city.
Feb 4th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Wow...you guys are amazing. And fast too! Thank you. By Boutique he means small, not corporate and not HUGE.

His budget is proabably around $100- $150 USD per night.

Honestly I don't know why he wants to stay in Lantau. He will have already been in HK at the beginning of the trip, for four days I believe. Then he flies to Shanghai for a few days, then back to HK where he will be for only one day (this is the day he wants to be in Lantau) and then flies back to LAX...I think he has not done his research and believes that Lantau is something that it is not. (research is nearly always my dept when we travel)

I will relay this valuable information to him. You guys are the best! Thank you again.

Feb 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM

What exact date does he need the hotel? $100-150 is not a lot for a hotel room in Hong Kong. At this price range, one should just look for the best hotel for the money, and not whether its part of chain or whether's it's boutique.
Feb 4th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan: "What exact date does he need the hotel?"

He needs a hotel from
March 3rd to March 4th.

He just told me he is staying at a Ramada in HK for less than $100 pn at the front end of his trip...I've seen the photos and it looks decent. I'd stay there. He said for some reason the rates were lower than usualy by quite a bit so he booked it.

This business trip is not on an expense acct...well, yes it is...it's on our expense acct which isn't very large. So we can't do expensive this time around...
Feb 4th, 2008, 10:46 PM

There are two Ramadas in Hong Kong. The one on HK Island isn't the most convenient, while the Kowloon one is known to be pretty crappy. One of my cousin recently stayed at the Kowloon one (without consulting me or anybody first), and doesn't have much good things to say about it.

But things are not cheap for those dates. The LKF is asking HK$2,100 ($270) + 13% service fees and tax for its larger rooms, while the smaller ones are sold out.

Here are some that is worth considering. The L'Hotel Causeway Bay is $138.34 + tax on Expedia. Standard room and no harborview.

Or the L'Hotel Nina is $120 + tax, also on Expedia. Harborview room. That's a brand new hotel and probably the nicest room you can get for <$150, but it's in Tsuen Wan and about 30 minutes from city center by commuter and subway trains, and not convenient in getting to/from airport. [Same hotel, standard non-harborview room, $92, all-in from asiahotels.com.]

Also from asiahotels.com, the Harbour Plaza North Point is $139, all in. It's a decent hotel, close to the subway train, but it's next to a large funeral parlor. Which is way it's generally cheaper than other equivalent hotels.

More convenient is the Stanford Hillview in Tsimshatsui, Kowloon. Rated pretty well on tripadviso.com. $111, all-in, from asiahotels.com. I'll pick this one over the Ramada Kowloon. It's steps from Knutsford Terrace with many many restaurants and bars.

Finally, the YMCA Salisbury. HK$1,320, all in for standard room; $1,430 for partial harborview; and $1,540 for harborview. More than US$150, but may be worth considering, still.
Feb 4th, 2008, 11:13 PM

He may be getting a good rate at the Ramada which he can then extend to his last night. He can also then leave luggage there for his return. I would stick with the Ramada for the last night if he can, no sense in learning a whole new hotel scheme and neighborhood for one night.

The Ramada Hong Kong on Hong Kong Island is in a perfectly fine location. It's not in the main business centre, but a very easy bus ride, tram ride or taxi ride to it. (Taxi being the fastest and quite cheap, about US$3 to 4, bus is even cheaper and pretty fast; he may be able to do a combo of walking and tram, depending on where he needs to be.) It's in a very interesting neighborhood of more traditional markets and shops and not the big shopping malls and restaurants you will find in Central. (Although there are some excellent restaurants not too far.) I like this neighborhood a lot and find it hugely more interesting than the boring rows of Benetton's and camera shops you will find in Kowloon along with the mediocre restaurants. It's right near the tunnel for the airport which is very convenient if he is taking a taxi to or from the airport, otherwise, it's a quick taxi or bus ride from the Airport Express station in Central.

I assume he is doing business in Central or on Hong Kong Island which is why he may want to be near the Central. If you can tell us where he will be working, we may be able to provide better reccos that would be closer to where he would be working. For example if he wants to be in Wan Chai, then I would suggest he look at The Wesley which has just an excellent location and would be within that budget. This hotel is about 300 yards from the Pacific Place complex of the JW Marriott/Conrad and Shangri-La which of course charge hundreds more for their rooms. This is in a great neighborhood of excellent restaurants, both cheap and dear. The Admiralty/Pacific Place subway stop would be very close, and the hotel fronts the tram line and several major bus lines. It is about a 10-15 minute walk to Central if he needed to go there and did not want to take a bus, tram or taxi.

The Wesley
22 Hennessy Road
Wan Chai
Tel (00852) 28666688
Fax 28666633
[email protected]
www.hanglung.com (I don't think this website works too well, you might try http://www.asiatraveltips.com/TheWesleyHotel.htm.)

Feb 5th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Yeah, location of the Ramada HK isn't that bad. In fact, from the airport, one can take the A12 Cityflyer bus. The first stop it makes after getting to HK Island is very close to the hotel. [The stop for the return ride is further away.]
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Here are more possibilties, from booking.com:

Miramar - HK$1,120 superior room. I think the price is all-in. This is a large hotel in the heart of Tsimshatsui across from Kowloon Park.

Bishop Lei - HK$880. It's in the residential Mid-Levels area above Central.

YWCA Garden View - HK$850 or $1,050. Also in Mid-Levels.
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both once again for your wisdom and insight...All of your long responses with so much valuable information to help us out, only for me to say my husband is just going to stay in the same hotel he will be staying in at the start of his trip!

That is because of you Cicerone, what wisdom...thank you.

Let's just hope that the Ramada isn't too terrible so they will want to return!

Many thanks!

Feb 6th, 2008, 10:15 PM

Although your decision seems to be made, if your husband wants/needs to be in the Sheung Wan/Western area of Hong Kong Island (i.e., where the Ramada Hong Kong is located), there are two budget "boutique" hotels (an oxymoron if I ever heard one) in that area that he might want to look at. I have never seen the rooms, so can't say anything at all beyond get the largest room available, some rooms could be like 18-22 square meters which is tiny. Try the Central Park Hotel (http://www.centralparkhotel.com.hk/) and the Lan Kwai Fong Hotel, which despite it's name is NOT in Lan Kwai Fong, see http://www.lankwaifonghotel.com.hk/) See if they are reviewed on tripadvisor.com, which I find somewhat useful.