Boutique hotel in Hong Kong

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just this afternoon I have thought that we can do a trip to Hong Kong (and somewhere else ) in November.
This is such a new idea that I have not as yet done any research(over and above this site and the brochures which I have in the house) as even though Hong Kong has been on my list for many years it has never really worked out.
From the brochures I have in the house I notice that all of the hotels featured are large and I wonder whether there is such a thing as a boutique hotel in Hong Kong ( my budget would be around £100 p.n. for 2)
By way of comparison I enjoyed a stay in the Berjaya in Singapore (formerly the Duxton) about 5 years ago.
A search through this site has not turned up anything so far.
With thanks to those who are able to help.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 10:26 AM

JIA in Causeway Bay probably fits your expectation most closely. 54 rooms. Maybe a bit above your budget.

The LKF Hotel by Rhombus in Central is highly rated, with very large rooms. 95 rooms. May also be a bit over your budget, but depends on exact date.

There are other so-called boutique hotels, but most are about 150 rooms like Lanson Place in Causeway Bay (next to Jia), Lang Kai Fong Hotel (not the LKF) and Central Park Hotel in Sheung Wan, Luxe Manor in Tsimshatsui, etc.

And there are some really smaller hotels, but in general their rooms are smaller and facilities only 2-3* standard. Accordingly, they're also quite a bit cheaper. Like the Mingle Place in Tsimshatsui or various Bridal Tea House locations. Check reviews very careful with these ones before booking.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

I found the LKF in a copy of a Trailfinders brochure which is just about expiring for £70 per night. I then rang them today to find that for November this year it i £140 per night! It has doubled! I'm not saying it isnt worth it- it looks very much like what I'd enjoy but a 100% increase?
I like the look of Hotel Jen and this is a good start.
I am being offered a flight on Air France for £460 which seems reasonable- its not the cheapest flight because those are via the Gulf and have major layovers.
One of the places I'd like to visit as part of the same trip is Luang Prabang but it doesn't seem a good option coupled with Hong Kong. Either they want to put me on Vietnam Airlines about which I'm not reading great reviews or I have to route through Bangkok.
Other options are Hoi-An(would this involve Vietnam Airlines?)
Xian-likely to be cold in November I would have thought, Pangkor Laut in Malaysia.
Plenty more work to do-thanks for your help so far.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 02:26 PM

The LKF by Rhombus is definitely worth more than £70. It's pretty new, so what you have might be a grand opening special.

But let me say something about Hong Kong hotel prices. They fluctuate from day to day, and most hotels don't give out good rates until about 3-4 months out. When you ask now for November rate, they may just give you rack rate.

I have read about the Jen. Keep in mind that it's fairly large with 280 rooms, which may or may not fit your definition of a boutique hotel. Also, it's pretty far west on HK Island, where some will find it not too convenient.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM

For anyone heading to HK for the first time, I would absolutely recommend a hotel near a subway (MTR) station. The subway is fast and cheap, and it opens up a huge portion of the SAR that would otherwise be difficult to explore. All the hotels that rkkwan mentions are easily accessible by MTR, but the Jen is not.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM

I just realized I spelled one of the hotels wrong in my first reply. Lan Kwai Fong Hotel (at Kau U Fong) is what I have in mind.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 06:07 AM

Try Lanson place Hotel - www.lansonplacehotel.com/HK
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM

In sort of reverse order to your questions:

Pankor Laut is a bit of a pain to get to, as it involves quite a long drive from Kuala Lumpur airport, about 3.5 hours each way. Unless you are going for 4 days or more, IMO, it may not be worth it. November is still the rainy season remaining on that side of Malaysia, unless you are talking about the end of November, when you would be heading into drier weather, but still on the rainier side than later winter months. Finally, Pankor Laut is really not the most beautiful beach you can find in Malaysia (those are on the east coast but those are very rainy in November). You can sometimes have trash floating in the water and the beach is not the white white sand you can find other places. Even Langkawi, which I don’t like so much, has nicer beaches, IMO, but will also be rainy in November. November generally can be tricky for beach vacations in SE Asia as you have two monsoon patterns moving around the area. You may want to consider other things. Consider Bali which in early November should be good as far as rain, toward the end of the month you will be heading more into the rainy season; but a magical place at any time of year IMO and you don’t need a beach there anyway. Or go to Java and see Borbadour and Prambanan. Or Beijing (cold but beautiful in winter).

Xian would be on the cool to cold side, but if you are dressed for it, perfectly fine and far fewer tourists as you will have missed the peak tourist time. See weatherbase.com for temps.

I don’t think routing to Luang Prabang via Bangkok would be an issue You could also just spend time in Bangkok if you have not been there before. (If the Thais have not worked out their problems by next November, then we all have more serious things to worry about.)

I used to live in Singapore and know the Duxton/Berjaya and that area well. Unfortunately, Hong Kong does not have any charming area like Duxton Hill, and does not have shop houses that have been converted into low-rise hotels like that. The hotels mentioned above, esp the LKF hotel are perfectly fine, but IMO will not give you any sort of the same experience as the Duxton. They are modern high-rise hotels and are generally have hundreds of rooms. LKF has a very good location for touring, shopping and for restaurants and nightlife. The Jia and Lanson Place are in Causeway Bay, which would not be among my recommendations for a first-time visitor to Hong Kong as the neighborhood is not that interesting IMO and good restaurants are a bit thin on the ground; however I know the Jia and it is a perfectly pleasant hotel with good restaurants. The Jen in Western would certainly be in a more interesting traditional neighborhood with medicine shops, dried fish and herb shops and little temples. It is not near a subway stop, which to me is no drawback at all (I live here and hardly take the subway myself as there are large portions of Hong Kong which are not served by it like all of the Southside of the island, Hollywood Road/Soho and the Peak), as there is good bus service, you are near the very charming and scenic tram line into town, and taxis are quite cheap for the short distances you would need to take them. If you don’t mind walking, it’s a flat walk to Central and a little uphill walk to Hollywood Road and Soho. I do not know the hotel at all so can’t comment on it otherwise. For all these hotels, do ask about room size. LKF has good size rooms, but the others may be in the 25 square meter range, which is quite small even for just one person; so do ask (i.e. the Jen’s standard rooms and the Lanson Place superior rooms appear to be quite small). I would also not rule out “regular” hotels (as I can’t say I know what a boutique hotel is anyway. Berjaya is certainly a chain.) You may find better rates at some of the larger chains, and these have good locations and services. I think the Metropark Wan Chai is a great location in an interesting neighborhood and appears to be a nice hotel (have not seen rooms). Also something like the Salisbury YMCA has tremendous views from their harbour view rooms and is good value. Serviced apartments may be a good value option as well. If you search this board you will find posts with info on all these and other hotels.

The weather in Hong Kong in November is fantastic: dry, sunny and temps in the mid 70s. While air pollution can be bad at times, generally it is the best time to be here. Great for walks and hikes and ferry rides.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Well Cicerone I doubt that you normally have the effect on people's travel plans which you have had on ours! The day you posted I had just come to a similar conclusion about Pangkor Laut(that it could still be wet and was not particularly cheap combined with Hong Kong). Routing to either Luang Prabang or Hanoi was either involving Vietnam Airlines or long and convoluted. Despite the fact that it was not going to be warm in Xian I decided we'd go to Hong Kong for the whole 10 days with a trip up to Xian. My husband however was not leaving Britain in November only to go somewhere cold and vetoed that. I showed him your post.
We are now going to Bali! Aided by a Singapore Airlines sale. We are not even two-centring with Hong Kong but that's down to me as I felt it was unrealistic in the time we have available.We've done nothing more than book flights (and order a guidebook!).
However I want to thank you all very much for your input as Hong Kong remains somewhere we shall travel and I can now refer back to this thread.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 01:50 AM

Oh my God, I bear no responsibility for this if you have rain in Bali! (As a lawyer I always want to get my disclaimers and waivers in…) But really weather-wise while you may have some clouds and rain, it WON’T be cold; and even a little rain should not interfere with plans unless they involve diving/snorkeling and laying on a beach – but there is a lot more to do in Bali other than that. (The rafting trips in Ubud can be done in all weather for example.) I still have to put in a good word for Hong Kong, as the weather is just so lovely in November, but if you can’t work out flights that what can you do. If you have a stopover in Singapore that is nice too, not sure if you have been there before. Certainly “worth” a night or so on the way out or back.