Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Boston GTG Update--Yes, Yes, Oh God, YES!

Old Jul 8th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It finally happened. So many of you were naysayers and said it wouldn't, but it did! Domestic airfares have plummetted like the stock market, they've dipped like Gpanda's IQ over dinner, they've swerved downward like my life savings! Those like myself who make the annual autumnal pilgrimage to the Bay State to celebrate travel (and also see if Bob has managed to kill Andy yet) will be traveling on the cheap.

Just proves to me that it is a great country after all, where the oppressed (that would be me) can co-mingle with the affluent (that would be the Panda) and not have to sell off my cemetary plot to make the trip!

In the event some of you are marveling at my ebullient outburst, I must explain that I'm scheduled for a check-up at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute on the second Friday in October. However, since my physician is world-renowned, he often gets called away to do things like testify before Senate sub-committees on healthcare matters, so my appointments sometimes get re-scheduled. This year with the economy so bleak, I was thinking if the re-scheduling happened, I'd not be able to come out to the GTG--but with fares like these, I actually can swing it if I need to make two trips (one for the GTG, one for the Dana-Farber visit), In any event, see you in October!
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM

BC
I'm happy for you! Guess I should have waited to buy my ticket... See you in BOS at the GTG.
Carol
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM

bc, "they've swerved downward like my life savings" lol. join the club. have a good one.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Hey, I just looked up the price of my ticket, and it has not taken a nosedive. It went up! Nearly twice what I paid over a month ago.... but I'll keep watching it.

Ken, are you coming back to BOS?

Carol
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 12:46 AM

wish i was. will be in singapore at that time. you guys will have a great time, as usual.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 02:52 AM

Yippee! Slot one bookchick in for the GTG. As hosts, Bob and I will ignore the sniping and invite everyone to join the festivities. This year will be special. The plan is for a pre-dinner gathering at Chez Panda ( Beth's house). See how actual Cantabridgeans live and play.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Does this mean we will get to frolic in the infamous home of the speedo, maybe even hop in the very hot tub where Andy has been disturbing the neighbors for all this time??

OMG!!!

I guess I'd better check on those airfares...
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Yes, frolic.

No, hot tub. We have public decency laws in massachusetts. I have an exemption.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM

"We have public decency laws in massachusetts."

yes, well, that's what they all say...

I was in New England one year (worked for a major hi tech firm then) and we had a "conference" which was at a resort and some members of our department managed not only to drink up every last drop of liquor at the resort but also swim all night in their swimming pool stark raving nekkid.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:00 PM

My experience is that the residents of Massachusetts routinely consume an ungodly amount of alcohol. Thankfully, I'm unaware of their nocturnal swimming habits.

There will be no hot tub activity at the GTG. It is a World Wildlife Foundation Protected Preserve only for endangered pandas.