Trying to plan Bangkok itinerary-feedback appreciated

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 2 seniors with 3+ months in SE Asia-Cambodia, Thailand, and Myanmar. We prefer to go at a relaxed/slow/easy pace. The ideal plan would be to sightsee early mornings, have a lunch/pool break, then venture out again around 2-3 pm. Our stay in Bangkok will be 7 full days and about 3 half days broken up into 4 separate stays. Will stay at the Bossotel which is minutes from the Central Pier and the Saphan Taskin BTS. Chose this hotel based on location, the reasonable price and the pool is an added bonus.

1/29 Flt. arrives from Phnom Penh around 10 am. Plan is to check in and wander around-maybe Chinatown area. China Gate and Wat Traimit. This is our 46th wedding anniversary so somewhere special for dinner with drinks before or after at one of the sky bars.
1/30 National Museum, City Pillar, Wat Mahatat.
1/31 Day trip to Ayutthaya.
2/1 Khlong tour Thonburi canals, Royal Barge Museum. Will be catching ON train from Hualamphong Station at 7:30 pm to Chiang Mai. Need to be back to hotel by 5 pm at the latest. Is this enough time for the canal tour and RBM??
3/11 Grand Palace/Temple of Emerald Buddha, Wat Po, Wat Arun.
3/12 Dusit Palace, Ananda Samakhon, Wat Benjamabophit.
3/30 Erawan Museum, Chatuchak Market.
3/31 Democracy Monument, Golden Mount, amulet market, Wat Rachanadda, Laha Prasat.
4/3 Returning by train late afternoon/early evening from Kanchanaburi. Maybe Lumpini Park?? Take BTS to get there.
4/4 Jim Thompson House, Susan Pakkad Palace, Asiatique.
4/5 Our flt. back to the US departs 11:40 pm. Plan is to do nothing but relax poolside, etc. but could do something in the morning only??

Have purchased the N. Chandler map (love it!) which helped with my planning. Also will include Loy Nava dinner cruise and Siam Niramit show.

So, does this plan look ok? Should I change anything-add or subtract, etc.?? Any feedback is appreciated as this is our first trip to Bangkok/Thailand.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 08:59 AM

Overall, I think it's a good plan. You have packed a lot in and remember it's a vacation, so don't hesitate to cut something and just relax instead.

The khlong tour only take two to three hours, so no problem getting back to your hotel in time to go to the train station.

Somewhere special for dinner for you anniversary... You might consider China House at the Oriental Hotel. The food is excellent - especially the Peking Duck. And it keeps you in the general area of your hotel and your exploring that day.

The Nancy Chandler map is wonderful. Do be aware that it is not to scale, so while it gives you a good idea of where places are in relation to each other, don't plan to walk from one place to another just because it looks close on the map.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 09:19 AM

Since your hotel is along the river area, you should opt for you rooftop drinks at Sky Bar. Smart casual attire is required, no flip flops or sandals or backpacker styles. Drinks are expensive so just buy ONE each and sip them very slowly as you enjoy the view. I might suggest Sky Bar before you go to your nice dinner, so you can see the daytime city and then watch the lights come on as the sun goes down.

Your trip sounds lovely (a bit too busy for me), but as Kathie says, be prepared to cancel something if the heat slows you down. Sounds like you won't have to deal with jetlag since coming in from another country nearby.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Kathie-Thanks for the heads up on the China House. The Oriental is one place I wanted to check out (would have stayed here but on a budget!) so this is the perfect solution. I had Peking duck when we were in China and I loved it so this is right at the top of our list of restaurants!
I know what you mean about the map. At first I thought we'd just be able to walk easily to everything, especially in Chinatown, but after more research realize that's not possible.

simpsonc510-Thanks for the Sky Bar suggestion. It was on my list but never thought to go there while still light just before sunset to get both perspectives of daytime and night. And it doesn't look to be too far from our hotel-Bossotel. I do have a pair of closed toe black flats that I'm taking!! Hoping we will have adjusted to the heat as we arrive in Siem Reap on 1/5.

We also have a long break planned from 3/13-3/20, 3/20-3/29 In Khao Lak and Phuket respectively. My husband will be diving and I'll be enjoying the pool and beach. Have a few snorkel/sail tours planned but this will be a chance to regroup before our final days in Bangkok and Kanchanaburi.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 10:44 PM

>>>Will stay at the Bossotel...<<<

Warm greetings chris and congrats on spending some time in one of my favourite business/pleasure locales, beloved Bangkok. (And should you ever desire reccos for our fine home of Singapore - and Singapore Airlines - honoured to assist.)

Concerning the Bossotel Inn... ~ five years back, had the privilege of a weekend private tour of some of the Bossotel's rooms and suites (at the time was staying at one of her neighbours, an old and forever cherished BKK business travel property called the Shangri-La). Have yet to follow through with a stay at the Bossotel (at present, am rather - and happily - committed to the Four Seasons for corporate bookings), but will say, everything I encountered from management and staff on down was most acceptable. Well done on your booking; enjoy.

Will concur with the suggestion of China House at the Mandarin Oriental; have experienced her 'pre and post renovation' and will say, am partial to her new look (and that is partially due to a selectively new hostess and waitress crew). Savour your duck. (And will add, Le Normandie remains my - our - MO favourite, as indicated on my MO hotel review profile page. Something to do with 'our' special window table overlooking the Chao Phraya. Perhaps next time for you; you'll be back.)

Will give the ongoing praise to Chon Thai restaurant at The Siam, her special friends, and her private river boat service rather adjacent to your Bossotel. (And be prepared for the ever increasing onslaught of those high-end fashionistas and foodies; will be forever thankful for having initially stayed at The Siam during her quieter, soft-opening times.)

Another promo for the Peninsula. Ever since she opened her arms ~ '98, have loved her to bits. Time permitting, take a cross-river cruise with some fine gentlemen manning her boats, savour some ice cream at her little gift shop, and contemplate a future stay. Can personally assure you, there are some special suites on the upper floors that will take your breath away.

So much more to suggest, but work beckons on this ever-evolving, trans-atlantic, trans-pacific business trip. Savour your planning, chris; very happy for you. Warm midweek wishes to you and all,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

AskOksena/robert-Thank's so much for the Bossotel feedback. I had hoped I made the right choice to stay there and your words gave me reassurance. I really love its location.

Will also be celebrating my birthday-3/31-in Bangkok so maybe we will try Le Normandie or Chon Thai. Definitely will try to get to the Peninsula. I love ice cream! Would the hotel show us what those upper suites are like? We stayed at the Mena House in Cairo and the manager took a liking to us. He gave us a tour of the Montgomery Suite which was huge and luxurious!

Appreciate your info and suggestions. Thanks again! I really am so excited about our trip and so looking forward to loving Bangkok!
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 04:37 PM

You are most welcome, chris; pleasure. Am quite confident you are going to have such a joyous time in The City of Angels (hard not to, my experiences over the past months, years, decades). And, early congrats on celebrating your birthday in Bangkok; well done, again.

Regarding your impending stay at the Bossotel Inn, forget to mention an ongoing high endorsement from a good Singaporean friend and neighbour who has made the Bossotel her occasional Bangkok weekend retreat for the past few years. A most savvy woman who appreciates value (she could easily afford anywhere in BKK for her solo visits) and the Bossotel's warmth, size, security - and certain nearby establishments she favours. You should be in good hands at that property.

Re: The Peninsula, Bangkok and suite viewings, will highly encourage you to make an enquiry for a private viewing; nothing to lose. Particularly with your stated timing of late March/early April '14, the Peninsula could very well be seeing various openings for various showings. Can't convey to you and all, certain cherished Peninsula moments viewing dawn, dusk, fireworks, from above. One of my (our) most memorable Peninsula stays was partially covered in my Penn profile review; special evening honouring H. M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej - and the Thai Red Cross. Such great friends and staff at that property.

As always, savour your planning, chris; half the fun. Feel free to make future enquiries. A long-overdue Friday (SQ) flying day home to Singapore for me, so early and warm weekend wishes to you and all (and for any of you near Park Hyatt Seoul and Tokyo business/holiday travellers out there, those two PH properties continued to excel these past days for meetings; much more to convey -- along with the 'impending' PH Bangkok property),

robert

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...