Where to apply Visa to China and Vietnam from the US

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did Google search, and there are several .com sites claiming that I can apply Visa through them, but I don't feel comfortable going to just any one. In the past I planned my travel with a travel agent, but not this time. Where are the legitimate places or websites to apply for Visa. Normally, how long does it take?

Thanks
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 08:23 PM

I applied for our Visa directly through our consulate in San Francisco. I went to their website and read the process. It was very easy and not complicated at all. I had a question, emailed the address and received a response within 24 hours. Very secure and reliable if you follow the directions. No need to pay a 3rd party, in my humble opinion.
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 05:17 AM

Vietnam and China are different situations. The Vietnam "visa on arrival" system is widespread. It does not provide the visa itself to you. The agent takes your information by e-mail, sends you a letter of confirmation, and arranges for the visa to be available at your airport of arrival. A fee is paid there, usually in US dollars. The agency also charges a fee, but there is so much competition that the total expense is often substantially cheaper than than going through a Vietnam embassy. Plus you don't have to give up your passport. Even some hotels provide this service. Keep that letter with your passport in case airport or airline security at your departure wants to be sure you have permission.
For China, an embassy or legation will require your passport and a fairly hefty fee. Some agencies can serve as a go-between, possibly speeding up the process, and charging an extra fee, so the applicant saves effort but pays more in total. This process may vary depending on where you live.
I'm basing this advice on experience that is now two years old. In the intricate world of international travel, things can always change, uh, "evolve".
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 06:59 AM

You can get a "loose leaf" visa for VN, which does not require sending in your passport. If you are arriving via air into Hanoi or HCMC, you can use the pre-arranged visa for VN. If you are arriving overland, you must get your visa in advance.

I'm not fond of paying fees to visa agencies, so I normally go directly to the embassy or consulate. But if you want to use a visa service, I can recommend Travisa.
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 08:08 AM

For China, I've used mychinavisa.com on three occasions. Each time, the process worked as described on their web page and I was pleased.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Faloola:

How much was each visa when you apply directly to the San Francisco consulate? Thank you.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 08:18 PM

Shanghainese - so sorry for the delay. Our visas cost $100 each, plus a postage paid envelope. I sent them through the USPS with no problems at all. Yes, I sent our passports, the applications, money and return envelope and had them back within 10 days. VERY pleased. I did this, this past Dec 2013.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 08:30 PM

...oooops, the visa I mention above was for Vietnam. We did the same process for our Chinese visa in Dec 2012 and they were $140.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 08:50 AM

Got it, Faloola, thanks.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 07:47 PM

I also noticed there were a handful of companies to do this through, but I ended up going with vietnamvoa.com because of their low price ($10 for the 1 month single entry). The checkout process was secure, as it used PayPal, and they had my letter back to me two days letter. They were very thorough, professional, and secure. I apply for a lot of visas for traveling in Asia and this was one of the easiest.