booking domestic thai air

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
booking domestic thai air

Hi, we'll be in thailand in 3wks and planning to go to Phuket/Phi Phi islands halfway through our trip (we've already booked hotels). My question is, are we better off booking the BKK-Phuket flight now, or can we wait till we're in Bangkok? We thought we might wait in case we change our minds once there, or weather stays bad down south etc. Also heard fares were cheaper if bought in thailand? thanks~
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 04:51 PM

Jacqui, in my experience the prices will be the same now or later on Thai Air. There are lots of flights, so it probably won't be a problem to get a flight, but remember you are in high season. If you strong prefer a particular time of the day to fly, it might make sense to book now.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 04:55 PM

fares are generally not cheaper for domestic flights in thailand...

i would not wait because the flight you want may be full...its prime season...the flight is so cheap anyways...

there are also low cost carriers like air asia and 123 go on whom you can fly for maybe $25, but their on time record varries...its your vacation...no time for delays unnecessarily seems to me...

many thai air flights are refundable or changeable with no fee...
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:16 AM

I would wait. I booked my BKK to Phuket flight 2 days before (this past late nov-early Dec) because the weather was questionable. If you fly Thai Airways, they have tons of flights daily.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 02:23 PM

Every Thai Air flight we were on in the past 2 weeks was fully booked. So, making advance reservations might be a good idea.

TG's site is easy to use and they update you via email if changes in scheduling occur.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:56 PM

I am living in Korea, and my travel agent told me it's cheaper to just go to the airport within Thailand and buy a ticket, but now I'm a bit concerned. We need a flight from Singapore to Koh Samui, then one from Koh Samui to Siem Reap, then Siem Reap to Hong Kong. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:50 AM

Sorry but have to disagree with your travel agent, the ticket pricing system is very simple, there might be the odd time when an airline needs to get rid of seats but you can never guarentee that you can get a seat, all you need is some large groups traveling and you can get stuck. Thai Airways economy/coash tickets are fully flexible and easily changed. Budget carriers of course different.

As for Singapore to Koh Samui you have no option except Bangkok Airways, also they are the 'only' carrier Samui to Bangkok and the only one Bangkok to Siem Reap.
I am no expert on their discovery pass and don't know if you can get on flights ex-Singapore, check their website. As for Siem reap to HK I think there are some flights but again you need to check that as often you get airlines saying they will have flights and then changing, you might find it easier to head back to BKK from Siem Reap and then pick up a cheap ticket ( easily available ) for BKK-HKG.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:57 PM

Thanks Ja00 mes. I've been checking the websites, and purchased two tickets from Singapore to Koh Samui. I'm so glad I checked because there is only one flight a day and it leaves at 8:00 p.m., which means we lose a whole day in Koh Samui. So
I cancelled our hotel in Singapore and we are leaving a day early, so we'll have ample time in Koh Samui. I've made notes on times for Bangkok Air and Thai Air and will purchase tickets this week when I arrive at a.p. in Hong Kong. You are also right about flying back to BKK from Siem Reap. The fares directly to Hong Kong were a joke! Pat
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:59 PM

I meant to say thanks James! My finger slipped on the keys.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:00 PM

www.bangkokair.com recently offered a sale price on certain flights from Bangkok to Phuket and Bangkok to Samui. I have found that it is much better to purchase flights online directly with the airline, or when you get there, as opposed to using a travel agent in your country. Keep in mind that travelling throughout Thailand has become "significantly" busier in the last 10 years and many flight can be booked solid. Book ahead or be flexible with departure times/dates.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:37 PM

It may be too late to get seats but the Bangkok Air Discovery Pass could save you some money. Including fuel surcharges and insurance the cost would be:
Sinapore to Samui $107
Samui to Bangkok $ 59.5
BK to Siem Reap $107
SR tto BK $107
BK to Hong Kong $107