Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Booked for Thailand in December - Plan B??

Nov 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi - Been watching the developments in Thailand and don't have a good feeling. Our family of 4 are booked to fly to Phnom Penh on Dec. 17 and then leaving Siem Reap on the 26th and flying on to Chiang Mai via Bangkok. Our plans were to go to Chiang Mai for several days, then Krabi and back to Bangkok leaving on Jan. 6. I am now wondering if we should cancel the whole trip or find an alternate destination to Thailand. Any suggestions, we fly through Hong Kong on our way back to Vancouver. Thanks.
Nov 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM

It's hard to know what will be happening by then. Right now airlines are allowing re-routings but Dec 17 is atill a while away.

There are certainly many other worthy destinations in SE Asia. Vietnam, Malaysia, even Bali would be possibilities. You may want to explore your options while we all watch and wait.
Nov 26th, 2008, 10:15 AM

I wouldnt cancel the whole trip. As Kathie mentioned already, there are many other destinations around. If Thailand is still having trouble by the end of December (what I personally doubt), there are direct flights from Siem Reap to Saigon for instance.
IMO Bangkok airport will be opened for traffic again in the next few days.
Nov 26th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Kathie is right the airlines are offering reticketing but when I last looked it was only for about a week. Yes do plan a plan B so you feel prepared. Also go with your gut if you would feel better not taking your family there in the next month or so then you have to go with your feelings. You should certainly look for a plan B that includes Siem Reap.
J
Nov 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM

I have heard that there was a problem also in Chiang Mai. I concur though. I wouldn't cancel the whole trip. Why not spend more time in Cambodia or go on up to Vietnam. Then catch a flight to Hong Kong to connect with your original flight out. This is all part of traveling. One needs flexibility and one must go with the flow. Hopefully though, things will settle down and we will all be able to enjoy our time in Thailand. Don't stress out. Think of it as an adventure.
Nov 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. We've been so excited about this trip for such a long time so would hate to cancel. I've been looking at Vietnam but it seems to be the least favourite of the Asian countries after reading posts on this forum. Also thinking about Malaysia but not sure how hard it would be to book there during the Christmas season. We would also like to find a place where my son and husband could dive as they want to complete their open water scuba certification.
Nov 26th, 2008, 08:56 PM

Well...for diving i would suggest Thailand because the country is very famous for Diving...and Thailand has lots of dive sites to enjoy with beautiful fishes to admire...

Trust me...don't cancel your Thailand trip coz by the time you travel to Thailand, all the problems must have been solved.

By the way, none of the tourism attractions, accommodations and shopping centers are affected.

So why to worry!
Nov 27th, 2008, 02:01 PM

Our plan B will probably be to fly into Vietnam and out from Siem Reap. Then on our next trip we will do Thailand along with Laos. While Thailand is my first choice, I've heard good things about travel in Vietnam. Any opinions from anyone else here? My husband and I have done extensive travel in Europe but this is our first Asian trip. It looks like we will be planning many more in the future as you can't see it all on one trip. Certainly don't cancel the trip altogether. There's lots of wonderful places to go in the region.
Nov 27th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

dgunbug: I talked to my travel agent about Vietnam and not sure if you know this but you need to obtain visas before going there (for Canadians, we have to send our passports to Ottawa and it takes 1-2 weeks) We are now thinking about just staying in Cambodia and only going to Bangkok for our flight home via Hong Kong. We cannot change our tickets.
Nov 28th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Yes, you do need a visa in advance for VN. BUT - you can get a pre-approved visa for VN on the internet. Many of the travel agencies in VN can arrange it for you. You fill out an on-line form, pay a fee, and you'll get an email confirming that you have a pre-arranged visa. You bring the email confirmation with you (you MUST have it to board your plane to VN) and you'll have the visa put into your passport on arrival at HCMC or Saigon. There is an additional "stamping fee" upon arrival, US$25, I believe.

The travel agency many here have used to get the pre-approved visa is vietnamstay.com I haven't used them, so can't personally recommend them, but many others here have.
Nov 29th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the visa info. We will have time to get it ahead of time if we decide to change our plans. Any suggestions on how long to wait before making a final decision? We aren't supposed to fly to Bangkok until Jan. 30th, so I'm hoping things will be settled by then. If they aren't settled by Dec 30, think we will have to make other arrangements.

Any suggestions for 22 days in Vietnam and Cambodia? We have reservations for 5 nights in Siem Reap at the end of the trip. We will begin our research at this point.

We've done lots of research on Thailand and Cambodia but none on Vietnam yet.
Nov 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM

good luck! we are in the same boat as you, flying from canada to bkk dec 19 with the family... such a lot of planning has gone into the thai trip... we are looking at vietnam for 2 weeks as a back up, flying to and from hong kong. hard to plan things last minute, and we would hate to spend so much and go so far and not do it properly. other option is to wait a bit more and see, as thailand may be ok- of course it is not just that the airports should be ok, but that the country is not on the brink of larger unrest. we may just cancel the whole thing and try again another year, and accept some losses....
Nov 30th, 2008, 06:21 AM

I don't mind making a plan B as I hope to be able to use it for the following year if we do get to Thailand this year. Always have to look at the positive!
Nov 30th, 2008, 07:09 AM

tongs reports that planes have flown out of the new bkk airport as of 9PM
Nov 30th, 2008, 05:03 PM

I believe the planes that departed were not carrying passengers. The people who took over the A/P allowed them to go to other airports in the area to pick up passengers but they left BKK empty according to the Bangkok Post
Nov 30th, 2008, 05:54 PM

Cal: It's probably too late now but if I were in your situation I'd be thinking Siem Reap/Vientiane. There's a direct flight.

Vientiane is right on the Thai border. Cross there, then train it to Chiang Mai or wherever you want. You're in.