Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Book online before arrival or book on spot (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/book-online-before-arrival-or-book-on-spot-876963/)

bobi021 Feb 7th, 2011 05:26 PM

Book online before arrival or book on spot

I am wondering if somebody could help me with the following: Should I book a hotel/villa before I arrive to Bali or I should just walk in into hotels or villas and ask for accomodation? I am planning to visit Sanur, Ubud and Gili Islands
Few of the travel books suggest that due to low season in June, I would be given better rates and I can negotiate.
What is your oppinion on this topic?
Thank you all!
Robert

marmot Feb 7th, 2011 05:54 PM

I guess it depends on how much of your holiday you want to devote to researching and negotiating, and also your target price range.

June is a transitional month that is becoming increasingly busy in Bali. Some resorts and villas will be heavily booked, some will not. There's always a margin for walk-in negotiation, but it's case by case and unreliable, and the savings compared to pre-booking is, in my opinion, negligible.

My unscientific observation is that you get the lowest prices right before you travel, but I don't see any advantage to waiting until after arrival to arrange accommodation, and I do see a lot of logistical disadvantages.

MichaelBKK Feb 7th, 2011 06:27 PM

It's worth knowing that June is school holidays in Indonesia, so there can be a lot of domestic travelers competing with you (of course now that Fiskal has ended, many will be going overseas this year).

If you're really thinking villa, many of them a small places with only a few rooms, so the really good ones tend to be booked up even in low season. I'm always amazed when I travel and see people who expect to be able to show up without reservations at a place that's been recommended in Fodors or LP and get a room. I have yet to see anyone be successful with that strategy.

rhkkmk Feb 7th, 2011 08:21 PM

i have visited in june and it is a great time....many of the places i have stayed have been totally booked...

book ahead... ask for a discount in advance... save yourself time

Kathie Feb 8th, 2011 06:57 AM

While backpackers maintain that they can show up and negotiate a better room rate than they can get in advance, once you get to mid or upper range accommodations, you'll pay more if you don't pre-book. And I agree with marmot - who wants to spend their vaction searching for accommodation?

bobi021 Feb 12th, 2011 12:45 PM

I would like to thank you ALL for your replies. I already made calls and things are shaping well.

Genna2 Feb 17th, 2011 04:28 AM

Book before! Worst experiences I have had traveling is arriving n a place close on night and nowhere to stay. It sounds so romantic, eh. Everyone said Greek islands - just get off ferry and it's easy to get accommodation. Yes, but.... After 2,of them we took the time to goon internet and pre-book. Lesson for life! Even Bali.