Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Book Ahead for Flights Within Thailand? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/book-ahead-for-flights-within-thailand-681782/)

MPT Feb 21st, 2007 10:30 AM

Book Ahead for Flights Within Thailand?

We will be traveling to Thailand the second week of March and plan to visit BKK, Chiang Mai / Golden Triangle, and Krabi. Given our time contsraints, we plan on flying to each destination. Should we book our flights for CM and Krabi before we leave or wait until we arrive in BKK? What would be the most cost effective method if we book in the US?

We'll also need a one-way flight from BKK to SGN. Should that be booked ahead as well? How can I find out what airlines make that route?

Thanks!

eurotraveller Feb 21st, 2007 02:03 PM

I would start checking with the discount airlines such as Nok Air, Air Asia and 1,2,3 Go (or something like that). If you find a good fare book it.

Some of the walk up fares are very reasonably priced as well.

MichaelBKK Feb 21st, 2007 04:08 PM

Walk-up fares are rare on domestic flights, and Thai is usually the only one that sometimes has them. March and April are the peak local travel season, so it's unlikely there will be any walk-up discounts.

For the low cost carriers, the price goes up as you get closer to the flight date, so you're advised to book as soon as possible. Some, like 1-2-Go, have a fixed rate, but they are almost always sold out, so again, it's best to book in advance.

For Bangkok - HCMC, the basic choices are Thai, Vietnam Airways and Bangkok Air. Air France also used to fly this route as well. I don't think any low cost carriers are currently flying this route.

Gpanda Feb 21st, 2007 04:46 PM

I would buy them ahead of time. Check the Thai Air website for a package deal.

rhkkmk Feb 21st, 2007 04:52 PM

buy them ahead...

for the bkk-vn flight i would check with eddie at seatours in bkk:

[email protected]

he usually has great fares to VN..

air france still flies to both saigon and hanoi a few times a week as a continuation of their paris flight....they alternate cities during the week...

the bkk air pass might work for you and you can buy that here...cash or check only.....call them on their 800 #...know exactly which flight you want when you call....they are often not know for their patience....you may also be talking to india...

eurotraveller Feb 21st, 2007 05:27 PM

I would like to hear of other peoples experience regarding walk up fares. I found them to be very reasonable in SE Asia compared to anything in North America.

Maybe I just got lucky?

rhkkmk Feb 21st, 2007 06:02 PM

i should point out the fare is the least of the problems....its availability for the flight and times that will suit your travel....

and has been said so many times: why waste any precious time at a travel agent while you are on vacation

Kathie Feb 21st, 2007 07:16 PM

Walk-up fares are much better in SE Asia than in the us. But Michael's point about budget airlines is true, the closer to the flight, the higher the fare. Still, even at full price for Thai Air, I consider it a bargain.

I usually have Eddie book all of my intra-asia flights for me ahead of time. He delivers my tickets to my hotel in Bangkok and they are there when we arrive.