Bonita back in Bangkok JKF-BKK!

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonita back in Bangkok JKF-BKK!

Hi all! Some may know me from this forum and the India forum. I am in Bangkok again after a summer in NYC and en route back to India where i live/work 7 months a year. I just flew the direct flight TG 791 jfk-BKK direct, a good long but very comfortable 17 hours. This was my second time on the flight, but my first time in this direction. I had already flown BKK-JFK one-way last June, comming back from India via Bkk. Anyways, i have just arrived two days ago, and am finally feeling good, energetic, well-rested and ready to hit the town and enjoy about 9/10 days here. About the flgiht, i have already written extensively about it on the long previous thread, but a few add-ons. aGAIN, I traveled Premium Economy and it is worth every cent for the slightly upgraded service that wavers between business and economy. There is plenty of leg-room, seats go back very far, foot rest, personal entertainment center, and really very comfotable. I slept, ate, drank, watched movies, slept, ate, drank, watched movies, etc. I flew on a tuesday and the flight was pretty empty. I had a whole row of PREMIUM TO MYSELF. I love this flight. the only drawback is the in-flight meal service. I thought things would change since my first run, and they would up the antee with more food and bevarage, but on the 17 hour flight they only serve two proper meals with bevarges, and the final meal is a mini-tiny snack. (cup of soup or a mini-sandwhich/) The way the flight goes is they serve you a lunch a bit after take-off(spicy pork or continental chciken) with all the fixings and plenty of drinks. Then 6 hours later they serve another full meal, this time(spicy cod or roasted duck) again with all the fixings. But that is about it in meal service, so for the last 8 hours nothing but peanuts, juices, bananas, and then two hours before landing the big choice between cup of soup or a mini sandwich. I was hungry again at this time and lucky i had loaded up on goodies and snacks, as this was the same set-up of meals from BKK-JFK, but on that leg they started with the mini-snack and u had to wait 6 hours for a meal. So again, the flight was as smooth as silk, the seats in PREMIUM are wonderful and comfotable, just bring a bit of snacks. What else. I am staying at Centre POINT sILOM for the next 10 days so i will give a full report once i really nestle into it as i know there is alot if interest in this place. But for now i can say i alread LOVE IT, and may have found my new home in BKK. i usually come to BKK about 3/4/5 times a year, as a little break from Delhi. Anyways, i have been here only two nights, but i can probably live here forever. I usually stay in the Silom area, either Sofitel Silom(love it!) or Silom Serene(nice affordable low-key option) but this time i decided to go for a serviced apartment as i will stay in town for about 9 days and am carrying half my life possessons for 7 months in INDIA so wanted alot of space. I have a riverview apt, wood floors, black marble bathroom, washer machine, microwave, two tv's cable modem, and it is spacious. I can see the Peninsula and the Shangrila from my room, and the river from all my windows. tHIS place is big. today when i get more energy i will go down to swim and the healthclub, so i can report on that later, and i will also load up my huge-life-size fridge with provisons, Tops supermarket is right in the basement of the building, as is Robinsons Dept store. A wonderful lethal combo. So i am off to explore again, shop, eat and enjoy. Sawadee KA. aNY QUESTIONS, feel free.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

It is me again. I wrote so much, i guess my last segment was cut. I wanted to say a word about my bookings, as there is great talk of the differnt booking sites. I usually book with Asiarooms.com and have had pretty good experince with them, and for some properties like Sofitel Silom they have superior prices. But this time i used BOB's love, HUAHIN site affiliated with Sawadee.com portal for bookings. I must say that this site is wonderful! So helpful, user-freindly, efficent, prompt. I am a total convert! Much better experince than Asiarooms. On a few occasions, Asiarooms never even responded to me via e-mail and i had to call them directly and sometimes they had a bad attitude on phone. I still would use Asiarooms on occasion, as they get some great rates, but i now prefer Sawadee.com for there FAR superior service and ease of bookings. In terms of my single booking, i had about 3/4 e-mails from Sawadee, such personal service. I also might add i did the booking last minute and even over the weekend, but they still got it done, no problems. They get back to you in a jffy via, keep you posted on status, are there if any problems or changes that need to be made they are very friendly and accomadating too. The site works like a charm. A pleasure booking with them. Thanx Bob! You led me right! Alright, i am off to the big city. Any QUESTIONS, feel free. Sawadeeka. Bonita.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 07:12 PM

Bonita, I've been waiting to read your post on TG 791. I'll be taking it soon and was interested to hear from you. You answered my question about the food but have a silly question...what about pillows and blankets? Thanks, enjoy BKK.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 07:26 PM

Bonita, I enjoyed your impression on CP Silom. I stayed there last month and it will now be my "home" while in BKK. Everything you have said we also experienced. I will add something for my next trip-my computer. They have free wireless internet in each room. It will be so much more convenient to write my daily journal to family in my spacious room. We tried the restaurant a couple of dinners and it was pretty good and reasonable. I think you will find the service people, doormen, front desk, maids, restaurant, all excellent!
Have fun and keep us posted.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Sawadee Ka from Bangkok! Hi again. First to 123go, yES on TG791 wonderful cozy pillows and blankets en flight. I was overly comfortable, piled high with pillows and blankets everywhere. And to Stichintime, yes i am really enjoying Centre POINT and love the big wonderful pool too and calm health club. Just got back and am feeling myself again. And yes, i have certainly brought my new laptop and connection was a snap. I am totally set up here, wired and rested and now off to lunch in the big city. Will keep you posted. Sawadeeka.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 01:52 AM

Thanks, Bonita for your report. Although I will be flying business class in February. We are already planning another trip (continuing on to Bhutan) where we will have to fly PE - sounds like it will be just fine for us.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the lowdown on Premium Economy. We plan on flying it to BKK in the Spring. I find it very disappointing that the food service is so lame however. You would think the food would be somewhat upgraded. I have heard that it's about $500 more than regular economy, is that correct? For that kind of money, I would expect food more on the Business Class level. Are the seats wider than in economy at least?
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Laurico...tO answer your question, yes, yes, yes, the seats are much wider, much more legroom, greater recline, and really-much more spacious than economy. It is only one cabin and it feels very deluxe this premium Economy! This premium is the added space and comfort and it is very noticable! The food is not upgraded, but for this price, you can not have everything!~! it really is well worth it and much much better than regular economy. A few times in flight i just sat in disbelief about how cozy i was, and was so thankful! I probably will always go/in out of Asia this way. I have flown back and forth dozens of times and this is by far the most comfortable affordable option. just bring some packed goodies!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 09:51 AM

Bonita, thanks so much for answering my questions. Really starting to get excited now. Maybe 17+ hours won't be so bad after all
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

123Go. Not a problem! Get excited and you will be fine! The flight is not bad at all, fun actually, and the rewards on the other end are even greater! On my end, nother beautiful day in BKK and i am very happy at my hotel and its location, Central point Silom! Yesterday i spent the day wandering around my Silom neighborhood and visiting all my old haunts, shops, cafes, and eating at almost every corner. I love Thai street food, tasty, spicy, delicious, exotic, varied and cheap, and after living in India for soo many years, I hardly worry although i do not eat certain things. Today I am having a leisurely moring and soon off to do some shopping for odds and ends at my favorite dept store, Central Chitlom, and then will lunch at the food LOFT located on the top floor of the store. Nice atmosphere and they have great food there, especially the Thai soups, tom Yum koong! I am an addict of it. This evening i will go to one of the night markets, either Son Lung Night Bazaar or Patpong market. Tommorow i will probably go to Banglampoo market by river boat or if i have the energy and gusto, Chatuchak weekend market. I do love street markets and am quite used to haggling and the festive market atmosphere. take care. Bonita.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 09:36 PM

Great information, I do wish airlines would have more snack choices, I can't think of any logistic problem, ok, maybe a bit of extra weight on the plane but it really is loussy when you start to feel hungry and there is no snack to have, I think they should rememebr people connect from different time zones.
Glad on the hotels, that Huahin site has been my favorite site for years and years, never let me down once, even when I have forgotten my printed confirmation no worries, being Thai based they communicate well with hotels as they use good old fashioned personal calls and contacts and that works a dream in Thailand, and I love not having to give any credit card details until they confirm rooms are ok!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanx JAMES. yES, I guess it is a question of weight, as the plane is not that big, and i might ALSO add that PREMIUM eCONOMY is not sanctioned off with velvet-curtains but shares the restroom facilities with Economy mid-section, and of course there is another set in the back. The inflight service is the same for both as well as the flight stewards. A word for seat assignments in PREMIUM. I suggest you sIT towards the front of the cabin, or even mid-way or a bit beyond. Try to avoid the last row or two or you will have the clanker of the restroom. And, the bulkhead in PREMIUM IS a DREAM come true if you want the optimal space, specifically nice on both window sides as you have really large TV screens on the front wall all to yourself! aBOUT SNACKS. There are some snacks avaialble rd the clock on the plane in the way back alley if you get hungry, but don't expect gourmet. You will find some simply bananas, peanuts, choco chip cookies, cup of soup, and plenty of OJ! What a array! So again, bring your own.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:44 AM

Thanks for all the info on Thai's PE. Now I have to figure out if it's worth $1000 more for both of us. I'm leaning towards 'yes it is' but then again, that would pay for almost two nights at the Aman in Java and I have my heart set on staying there. If anyone's interested, Thai has a special going on now, two people flying together fron JFK to BKK can fly PE for $1150 each, but 2 of you must travel together. Too bad it only goes through November. Hopefully they will run a similar special for the Spring.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:38 AM

Laurie-Thanks for the info on the Thai Air special. It sounds like a great deal, even if Red Sox Fans would have to venture into the heart of the beast to avail themselves of it.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:51 AM

Has anyone been on this flight's business class? I'm there in Dec using ff miles.
And a question re PE-- is the $500 addition for the round trip?
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:18 AM

Gloria, the $500 is for round trip. If it weren't, I wouldn't even consider it, that would be a monumental rip-off!
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:48 AM

laurieco-
please keep us posted if you find a deal on the Thai Air premium economy for spring.
I am also looking to fly jfk-bkk in May.
thanks
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 07:07 AM

Gpanda, most NYC residents are Mets fans (Bronx included) so while not ideal for a Red Sox fan, we're not nearly as hostile as those other fans ;-)

Cruisinred, will do. I'll be checking on an almost daily basis. I'm also going to give Thai a call. I'll let you know what they say.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 07:36 AM

For Gloria - not the most positive review, but check out:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476071
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 07:37 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
What is TG? I can't seem to think of what airline that might be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information