Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bob, Craig, Kang, Orgy7, Cicerone. Kathie & all, now we've changed the plan to Bangkok, Phuket & then leaving from Singapore to DFW, no more Bali.

Bob, Craig, Kang, Orgy7, Cicerone. Kathie & all, now we've changed the plan to Bangkok, Phuket & then leaving from Singapore to DFW, no more Bali.

Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

I talked to my husband and we decided that it will be better to visit Bangkok and Singapore. We have 13 nights to stay. We want luxury hotel in Bangkok, Phuket and then Singapore. Which hotel do you think we should stay at? I do want lush grounds within the hotel, but not sure that is possible in Bangkok & Singapore? Phuket, would like beautiful beach with modern room. Can not afford Aman Puri. In Singapore, Ritz or ??? Please share your thoughts. We are willing to spend $300 max per night. $250 per night would be awesome. Thank you so much for your help.
Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:00 PM

bangkok--ok there are several with "lush grounds"...my favorite is the marriott resort and spa...fabulous grounds, not large but nice and the best pool area in bkk...the peninsula has decent, but limited grounds, but fabulous rooms...the shangri-la has nice grounds but the hotel is huge...rooms are very nice....the oriental and sheraton have medium sized grounds and nice rooms....all have excellent eating facilities...

the sukathai (spelled incorrectly) on sathorn or silom has beautiful ground and is a lovely hotel...i do not prefer the location, although there is nothing wrong with it...

the four seasons (regent) and the hyatt have decent grounds but they are large city hotels...

i prefer the river!!!

singapore...i've only been there once..our hotel had no grounds that i remember, but it was an inexpensive place...others can answer...

phuket--haven't been there, but there is a new jw marriott that some like and some do not like---a bit remote...

jamesA and kathie, its your turns...and others of course
Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:26 PM

Message: For Phuket I take a look at the Chedi, and also the Boathouse at Kata beach and the Kata Thani resort at Kata, these are all what I would call 'safe bets', you really can't go wrong. The only downside on the Boathouse (if you can call it a downside) is don't go for the cheapest rooms ( as someone posted a while back). Go for the decent rooms and you will surely love the place, especially if you also enjoy great food and excellent wine.
Anyway take a good browse of those places,

Chedi
Mon tri's Boathouse
Kata Thani resort

http://www.phuket.travelreporter.com
Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:29 PM

If you want a hotel in Singapore with nice grounds and great style I don't think you can go wrong with the Shangri-La, I forget the name of their 'Premium' wing but you can find that out, the special wing that has superb rooms ( I used to stay there when someone else was paying! Now I am relegated to the cheaper places...!!!)
Apr 24th, 2004, 04:57 PM

Thailand is a lovely country and you can definitely find more than enough to keep your interests up for just 13 days.

My suggestion for Singapore is that you spend no more than two days there, or better still, skip it all together. Nothing against Singapore; it is a clean pretyy modern western city, but I just don't think it should be the top destination that you two travel so far a distance to see. Sorry if others don't agree with me, just personal opinion.

Instead of Singapore, might consider a three day side trip from Bangkok to Angor Wat in Cambodia? I can assure you that you won't regret it.

Apr 25th, 2004, 05:30 PM

i agree about singapore, but it might suit your husbands needs...

if you do go to angkor, stay either at the grand hotel (way overpriced) or the sofitel....
Apr 26th, 2004, 07:48 AM

It's too bad you decided against Bali. I like it much better than Phuket, which I think has become too touristy. After Bangkok and Phuket, Singapore might actually seem un-Asia like, so you may want to go for only a few days. It would be better to go to Singapore first and ease into the Asian culture.