Search

Warning about bottled water in Siem Reap

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning about bottled water in Siem Reap

Hi all,
Writing from my third day in Siem Reap where we were having a great time until 3 out of 4 in our group were taken out by nasty (explosive) case of vomiting and diarrhea...we are heading into around the 15th hour and things are improving but sad to say we lost a day at the temples as a result.

We have all been very careful with food and drink but were alerted by our Angkor guide not to drink the bottled water which comes in the very soft light blue bottles (often free at hotels and commonly for sale at the temples). He always advises his guests to never drink this water because it makes many people sick. Unfortunately he didn't realize we had purchased this water until it was too late and my 65 year old mother was puking all over ancient ruins, to her mortal embarassment.

Anyway, I was the only one in our group yesterday who didn't buy water at the temple, otherwise our days were almost identical in terms of food and drink. We have met two other couples who are also ill who did not take any unusual risks but who have used this water.

Anyway, it's impossible to be sure of the cause, but this recommendation came from a local who was not making any extra money off of giving us his safe bottled water.
Hope this can prevent someone else from getting sick.
-Amy
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. We recently returned from SR and from what I can remember we drank bottled water from clear, not light blue bottles. It was water we bought at the market, (not at the temples) and bottled water that was offered at the hotel. Fortunately, we did not get sick. I'm sure it was very upsetting to travel half way around the world and lose a day of sightseeing due to illness. I hope everyone is feeling better and the rest of your trip goes smoothly.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Sorry so many got sick. I do hope all are feeling better by now.

It is, of course, impossible to tell what caused it. Most people visiting Angkor buy water from the vendors at the temples and do not get sick. Whether you guide was correct that there is a problem with one brand of water is unclear.

I do hope all of you are staying hydrated - that's the greatest danger with severe GI problems, dehydration. This is the kind of instance in which emergency antibiotics might be called for. (I believe I do remember you saying that your doc gave you some.)
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Oh Amy such a pity. I so hope this passes quickly and does not leave your group lethargic and weak. This is quite worrying though to think that a certain brand of bottled water could be contaminated.

I have read reports about street vendors re filling empty plastic bottles with tap water, however, always dismissed the reports as not possible as you would know that there was no seal on the bottle.
Hope your mum is feeling better by the time you read this
Sue

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Hi,
We just spent a few days in Siem Reap as well, and did not have any health issues. I think the stuff in the light bluish bottles is regular tap water that has been ozonized ( spelling?) It is not a "brand" or anything, just some type of purification. Best to stick with label water. Hope everyone gets well soon!
Kirsten
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 04:48 PM

While in SR a few weeks ago, we purchased many bottles of water at Angkor. Most of the water we purchased was in a rather large aprox. 1.75 liter clear (I think it may have a very light blue tint) plastic bottle for $1 each. We also purchased the same type of bottles in SR itself for less money. I don't know it it was all the same label or not.

Except: in one case, the water was in a smaller aprox. 1 liter blue bottle; this was different than all the rest, smaller, different color bottle at the same price. I do remember that it did have the plastic shrink-wrap seal on the cap; we purchased one bottle of this and shared it with no ill effects, it tasted alright.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 01:04 AM

Amy

I know the water to which you refer.I had just bought a bottle from a street vendor and taken one sip. Ponheary saw it, snatched it from me, poured it out and told me to never, ever drink that one in the light blue bottle.

It was sealed and tasted ok. I would have drunk it had she not taken it from me.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:55 AM

Interesting, Lori, this sounds like a warning all new travelers to Siem Reap should know about. I'm wondering whether this is the UV-treated water... UV doesn't kill everything.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:37 AM

This story makes me wonder too. I was fine in SR last month and ended my stay with a couple of nights in a guest house that provided that light blue bottled water, with the shrink wrap. I drank it, several bottles over a couple of days. On the way home, I got a clear cut case of food poisoning but had blamed it on cooked food at the Tokyo airport. Althought the incubation period would have to be pretty long instead of what I think is usually only 6-7 hours or so, I am wondering if the water was to blame???
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi all... thanks for the kind words. We are in Phnom Penh now, everyone is pretty much back to normal and feeling better.

Sounds like offwego had a similar experience to us... the water we bought was sealed. We were all well hydrated (I have been absolutely militant about it since I didn't want anyone to get dehydrated!) Anyway, what's important is that we muddled through and are continuing to have a great time... and hopefully learned something that someone else can benefit from.

Cheers all... we're off to Chau Doc on the boat today. Will post properly about our trip when I'm back in the states.

Amy

Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Cookview,

read this

http://digbig.com/4rqtn

could have been the water
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Thanks for sharing this info. I've been to Siem Reap twice without getting sick from bottled water. I'm sure I bought water at the temples, but don't remember what the bottles looked like. Either way, by sharing yoru experience other travellers can avoid that particular type of bottle - and perhaps keep from getting ill. Thanks again..hope you are all well now.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 03:34 AM

I don't recall the color of the bottle but I purchased two bottles before we entered the Temples and I made sure they were sealed. For some unknown reason, I looked at the inside of the cap before I took a sip and it was dirty. I uncapped the other bottle and found the same thing. Needless to say, I did not drink either one. Before this incident I always felt safe if the bottle had an unbroken seal.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:28 PM

this is very interesting, and perhaps explains a lot!
I was in SR a couple of years ago, and my friend got VERY VERY sick. he had been drinking a lot of that water, whereas for some reason i found that i couldnt drink the generic unbranded one - it didnt quench my thirst, and sort of tasted metallic i thought.

anyway, much to everybody's horor at the time, i just chugged back lots of coca cola, which i normally rarely drink, and expensive evian or something from the FCC Hotel where we were staying.

From memory there have been a lot of stories about probs with bottled water not being filtered properly or even being contaminated in Asia ... seem to remember something about a plant in thailand having issues ... might go and research it now, as heading back there soon.

thanks for posting,

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:27 PM

Funny this should come up again. I'm in Siem Reap now and took a picture of the offending water bottle, just for clarity.

http://www.pbase.com/loricarlson/image/87333433

It says it's been treated with "ultraviolet light". I think that means someone shined a flashlight on it.

Stay hydrated, but not with this stuff.

Cheers!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Lori, thanks for the photo and the info that it has been treated with ultraviolet light.

You and others may remember a number of discussions of the steripen that uses UV to "sterilize" water. This bottled water is a cautionary tale about UV sterilization!
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Good thing to know....we'll be there in December and have no desire to get sick!
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 06:15 AM

"Stay hydrated, but not with this stuff"

Very interesting to see the photo of the bad water.

We did purchase one bottle of this just as we were leaving AW and shared it in the car on the way back to SR. It tasted ok and we had no ill effects. Sort of a bad news / good news story.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 01:58 PM

FYI: everyone in our group had a bad reaction to similar looking water in Thailand.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Very interesting info, cookie, I've never seen this type of water for sale in Thailand. But your experience should be another warning for everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -