Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Boat tour in India (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/boat-tour-in-india-279547/)

duke Dec 14th, 2002 09:07 AM

Boat tour in India

My wife and I are retired and looking at a month in India. We are not interested in sightseeing poverty and like to be in a safe and in clean environment. We met a couple last year in Turkey who recommended a riverboat tour. I believe these converted minesweepers are quite luxurious with your own cook etc and a great way to see a lot of the country without the hassle of trains,airports etc. Does anyone know how to get more info on these tours .

Barbie Dec 14th, 2002 12:20 PM

You can do Kerala by boat, but not the other parts of India like the very popular and beautiful Rajasthan.<BR><BR>www.keralatourism.org

Bibiana Jan 17th, 2003 11:50 PM

Hi there<BR><BR>A very romantic way to spend a few days is by on a houseboat cruise by the backwaters of Kerala. These old barges have been converted to luxurious houseboats with your own crew and chef. You could watch how the inhabitants of the backwaters live their lifes from the comfort of your boat A three/ four days ride on one of these boats is highly recommended. <BR>Need more details drop a line<BR>Cheers<BR>Bibiana

bonnie Jan 19th, 2003 02:39 AM

Let me first say that India is an incredibly fascinating and beautiful country, but it can indeed be chalanging as a traveler.,,However, the rewards of the journey and the experiences and friends you will make will be tremendous...One thing, in INDIA, YOU can travel really really royally and feel like a KIng, staying in Palces, etc., but, you can not entirely escape the poor, as it is part of the landscape as well....<BR> As already mentioned, boat tours are only offered in Kerala and not that that comfortable for more then 3/4 days...It is a wonderful experience and the backwaters are so peaceful and beautiful......Beond boat tours, you can travel really well at a good price with private cars, drivers, guides, stay in posh Hotels, villas, former Palaces, etc...India is sooooooooo big, so the quickest way to get around is ofen the flights, if you are traveling from State to State, and depending on various factors......Another intersting way to travel, as to avoid so much change of transport in Rajasthan, is the Palace on Wheels, a royal palatial train that runs thorugh Rajasthan..Please feel free to contact me with questions or help with your planning, as I am an American who lives and loves India, and can definately help you create a beautiful program as hassle free as possible,,,regards...bonnie [email protected]

indianewbie12 Feb 2nd, 2012 03:08 PM

I would love any updated information on the train and/or boat. I thought one could take a boat up the Ganges?

Thanks again so much, really!

Newbie12

Kathie Feb 2nd, 2012 04:36 PM

Indianewbie, please post your questions by starting a new thread. This thread is 10 years old. You will get better, more specific answers from people if you post your own questions. So maybe call the thread something like Boats on the Ganges? or Cruises on the Ganges?