Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bnagkok. Chiang Mai, Siam Reap itinerary complete (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bnagkok-chiang-mai-siam-reap-itinerary-complete-589441/)

gilawi01 Feb 8th, 2006 03:22 PM

Bnagkok. Chiang Mai, Siam Reap itinerary complete

Six months ago I started planning my first trip to Thailand. My original plan was to take a 15 days or so organized tour with any of the big tour companies. But then I decided to take a chance with the Fodor's well traveled people and...everything turn around 360 degrees...for good. You guys give me the courage and guts to plan the trip by myself, and, at last is finished. Everything from hotels, drivers, guides and transfers were arranged thanks to a lot of you who give opinions, recommendations and experiences. In this way I will be able to see see whatever I want, when I wanted it, at my own pace. Thanks to Bob, Orgy7, Kathie, Gpanda, Glorialf, Carol, Guenmai, KimJapan, Hobbes,Chicago999, Althom1122,JamesA, MichaeBkk, etc...(sorry if I left somone. Need to start to prepare my luggage). This if my final itinerary:

Feb 11- Flight from San Juan to New York (overnight).

Feb 12- New York to Tokyo (3 hours layover and flight to Bangkok).

Feb 13-18 Arrive Bangkok at 11:45PM and five nights in Marriott Resort & Spa. On day 14, rest and relax all day and maybe a Spa. From 15, 16, 17 the must see's in Bangkok (Grand Palace, Wat Arun, Marble Wat, Klong tour, Jim Thompson's house, etc.)

Feb 18-21 Siam Reap (Ponheary's brother, Dara, wlll be the driver and guide in Angkok Wat).

February 21-26 Fly to Bangkok and then Chiang Mai. On day 22, trip to Mae Hong Son for three days. Days 24, 25 in Chiang Mai and the must see's.

February 2-March 02 Bangkok to do what was left and shopping and relax.

March 2- Back to San Juan, Puerto Rico

I will be leaving on saturday and my heart is pumping blood faster than usual. Thanks again to all of you.

Gilberto

Kathie Feb 8th, 2006 04:03 PM

Have a really wonderful trip! I'm sure all of your preparation will pay off. And give us a full report when you return!

glorialf Feb 8th, 2006 04:08 PM

Have a wonderful trip. Where are yous staying in Chiang Mai and mae hong son? Do you have a driver in northern thailand and, if so, who?

gilawi01 Feb 8th, 2006 04:30 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. On my arrival in Chiang Mai will stay at Royal Princess, the last two nights at Baan Orapin. In Mae Hong Son will stay at Imperial Tara Mae Hong Son. On the Chiang Mai portion of the trip I was thinking of getting the driver at hotel. Poon was not available. Any other driver to contact that you know?

glorialf Feb 8th, 2006 04:45 PM

Opas (Baan Orapin) may be able to suggest someone as a driver. I would email him. He's a wonderful man and I am sure he will not steer you wrong. I'd be much more inclined to take his suggestion than the suggestion of someone at the Royal Princess.

gilawi01 Feb 8th, 2006 04:51 PM

Thanks Glorialf. Will take your suggestion and E-mail Opas.

gilawi01 Feb 8th, 2006 04:59 PM

It may of interest to some of you that my last dayS in Bangkok will stay at Centre Point Wireless Road apartments. Also, one of the Ratt driver will take me to the Floating Market, but still will need advice of what else to do on the way back to Bangkok.

Guenmai Feb 8th, 2006 05:26 PM

Have a wonderful,wonderful time. And if you're near a computer while there, drop us a line to say how things are going. Happy Travels!

rhkkmk Feb 8th, 2006 07:45 PM

you have done a fabulous job with this plan....it is nicely spaced out and you should really enjoy yourself....

i will be anxious to hear how you like the wireless road apartments...i have been looking at them on line....it is CP's newest complex....right next to the american ambassodor's house by the way....knock on the door and she if you are invited in for dinner....??

that is a great neighborhood for restaurants etc....one of our favorites is biscotti in the four seasons hotel....on the side streets there are many good restaurnats....

central chitlom is near by so you should go to the 7th floor for the loft eatery....fantastic....

Craig Feb 9th, 2006 02:13 AM

Interesting that while you are using Dara in Siem Reap, we will be using Ponheary. Perhaps we will run into each other - where are you staying (we are at the Hotel de la Paix)? We will also be in Bangkok the same time you are (end of Feb/early March) - we are staying at the Plaza Athenee, also on Wireless Road.

rhkkmk Feb 9th, 2006 05:48 AM

the two places are almost across the street from each other on wireless road...

Gpanda Feb 9th, 2006 06:16 AM

Make sure you get a massage in the basement of the Royal Princess in Chiang Mai. It's very good. Just wander downstairs and book ahead of time.
Your trip sounds wonderful. Remember, the point is to enjoy yourself. If you get tired, kick back and hang around the pool or get a massage. In Siem Riep, pool time in the middle of the day is very helpful.

offwego Feb 9th, 2006 06:28 AM

If you're so inclined, email Dara in Siem Reap about going out to one of the schools for a couple of hours to donate some school supplies. It will be the highlight of your stay!

Have a wonderful trip.

gilawi01 Feb 9th, 2006 01:40 PM

Thanks to all for your well wishes.

Craig: Now I know why I didn's have Ponheary for the dates I've requested. You were planning ahead of me. For your info while in Siem Reap if yo see a small guide with a mustach and a New York City baseball cap, and a beautiful wife besides me, that's me.

Gpanda\: Thanks for the tip. I'm sure my wife will love it.

offwego: That's definetly one of the things I want to do in Siem Reap. It is in my priorities list.

Craig Feb 9th, 2006 03:39 PM

gilaw01 - The only New York City baseball cap I recognize is navy blue with white (not orange) lettering. There are some on this forum that refuse to recognize any NYC baseball cap. As for the beautiful wife, she could be with either you or me. (I am assuming there might be more than one). I do not have a mustache but I am the guy with the distinctive gray (almost white) hair.

FromDC Feb 10th, 2006 07:28 AM

Craig,hope you enjoy Hotel de la Paix as much as we did. Be sure to have their Khmer dinner at the restaurant, really outstanding.

gilawi01 Feb 10th, 2006 04:13 PM

Craig: Forgot to mention that I will staying at Prince D'angkor hotel in Sieam Reap.