Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Blogging from Bali (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/blogging-from-bali-414050/)

tengohambre Aug 16th, 2008 02:04 AM

Blogging from Bali

Well, after one cab ride, three flights, over 22 hours on a plane, and a heck of a lot of airplane food -- we arrived in Bali. And, to be truthful - so far it is spectacular. Simply stunning.

SIN Air was about the best long haul flights we have ever had. Great service and flights on time. Singapore Airport is very impressive, a small city unto itself.

We are now at the Samaya in Seminyak and the sun is starting to set and the family is calling me so I am going to run. I wanted to post this so I avoid all penalties. And, to Bob and Andy, Putu finally appeared, he said he had had a wedding. So, we will be with him tmw for some touring.

Tonight will be dinner here and then simply collapsing.
: )

Gpanda Aug 16th, 2008 02:24 AM

Welcome to paradise. I'll be interested to read your impressions. I thought that Bali in general and Ubud in particular was like being in an outdoor museum.

AskOksena Aug 16th, 2008 04:23 AM

... yo, tengo,

Warm greetings from warm, beautiful Bangkok. (Yet another lovely "lobby moment" at the Oriental a few evenings back, but that can wait.)

Many thanks for your praise of yes, Singapore Airlines. You just made my Thai evening, and safe to say, you warmed the heart of a certain, sweet SQ-forever someone.

Should you be at charming Changi, T3, next Friday ~ 5 pm, and in the vicinity of those Silver Kris Lounges, would be happy to venture out and buy you and your family a round. (And do remember to purchase a sarong kebaya uniform - we have a growing collection.)

As always, smooth (SQ) rides to you,

macintosh (robert)

... In this ever changing world, Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly ...

marmot Aug 16th, 2008 05:07 AM

th, I wish I was there.

rhkkmk Aug 16th, 2008 05:32 AM

glad it all is working out...

i forgot that putu was getting married...problem solved....

so have you visited any shops yet? keep jill and zoe happy with that aspect of the trip...

tengohambre Aug 16th, 2008 07:07 PM

Well, we really needed that sleep. Seriously believe that had they moved the room we wouldn't have awoken.

With a bit more time, here are some thoughts:

Thunderstorms at JFK wreak havoc on airline schedules. We sat for about 90 mins before being placed on the takeoff pattern, at which point we were about numer 30 for takeoff. Yet, with some fast tailwind we made it to FRA in six and a half hours. That was incredible. Short layover in FRA and then another 11+ hours to SIN.
The plane was a SQ 747 the whole way. While the IFE was great, the seats were showing their age in places. Indeed, my son's seat was broken and we had to go forage for other seats. On the upside that meant we were able to spread out because the flight was only about 80% full. That worked out great! For airline food it was fine. Its the attitude and service and attention to detail of the SQ personnel that is tops. Couldn't have been nicer. Came around repeatedly with water, snacks and frozen Eskimo pies for dessert. And, did anyone mention the Singapore Girl stewardesses are beautiful? Also, about 30 mins out of FRA my son lost his lunch (or bkfst, or whatever meal he had eaten a bit earlier). Likely because he was just exhausted. Immedately thereafter he felt fine. Yet, the reaction of Kuan the stewardess was exemplarly. She came running over and from then spent about 15 mins taking care of everything. Helped to clean him up, cleaned up the seat, got him some ginger ale and, because his pants were now rather disgusting, she grabbed him a SQ pajama-like suit from first class. He, of course, loved that. Through the rest of the flt Kuan continued to ask after him.

SIN airport looks like one very nice shopping mall, incredibly modern and great food and snacks. Transfers couldn't be easier. The flt to Bali was just 2 hours and, after 24 hrs of travel or so, we landed 4 mins early in Bali. Yes, its a long travel day but well worth it. I'm always surprised when people say "how can you fly that far?" Well, if you want to get there you have to fly. So, what else are your options?

Samaya in Seminyak is superb. No other word to describe it. The setting was magnificent and the beach is just great. Staff incredibly friendly and helfpul. Bkfst setting is out of a travel magazine photo. The beach was not too rough yesterday, today it looks much rougher. Clouds here in the a.m. but those seem to be blowing out very quickly. When the sun comes out it is incredibly intense. I think we are almost on the equator.

We will explore a bit today. Our tour guide canceled on us but we have rescheduled him. Also, today is Indoensia Independence Day and we will see what that entails. And, everywhere you look you see small offerings, or people making offerings beach side. Very moving, actually.

That's it for now. I fear my wife will discover there is some shopping to be had and that will be that. My son wants to buy a kite; there are dozens in the sky. Some are huge and just fascinating to see fly. Speak to you later.

PS
Anyone know where I can find the classified section for jobs in Bali? This may really be the place.

Kathie Aug 16th, 2008 07:31 PM

I'm so glad you are enjoying Bali already. It is a wonderful place!

rhkkmk Aug 17th, 2008 05:34 AM

bali does not need another lawyer...or would you wash dishes??

Statefan Aug 17th, 2008 07:46 AM

I guess this explains why I have not heard from Putu. I was just about to book all 8 days with Dean due to frustration - guess I will give Putu a few more days to get back to me.

Smeagol Aug 17th, 2008 07:47 AM

I have been in and out of Chani airport many times and it really is super efficient, my favourite airport. Several times i have landed, cleared immigration collected luggae and been in a taxi INSIDE 20 minutes... now if only heathrow was the same

Smeagol Aug 17th, 2008 07:47 AM

obviously that should say CHANGI not CHANI

MichaelBKK Aug 17th, 2008 04:24 PM

I'll be back in Bali on Monday. Glad to hear the Samaya is as good as it looks.

My franchisees in Indonesia are planning to add another branch in Bali later this year. I can put in a good word for you. Can you make a decent espresso?

rhkkmk Aug 17th, 2008 06:58 PM

you don't want him michael....he has that NY attitude---you know the one that forced you to leave the usa..

he's an attorney---nothing but a trouble maker....another Gpanda

MichaelBKK Aug 17th, 2008 08:20 PM

Well, I'm planning to visit a few dive shops on this trip as well. Perhaps one of them needs a boat anchor.

Gpanda Aug 18th, 2008 02:27 AM

Bali Barristers, PC. That's Tengohembre and Gpanda. A simple Trusts and Estates pracice. No court time. No Divorces. If someone has a complicated situation, we suggest a more energetic firm. Begin work at 10:00 a.m and done by 3:30 p.m.. EVERY DAY.

How dooes that sound Robert?

CFW Aug 18th, 2008 03:25 AM

Sounds great -- Can I join the firm? We've just reserved our ff tickets for next July so am ready to scout out a place to put up a shingle in Ubud!

Gpanda Aug 18th, 2008 04:46 AM

CFW-you can open the Ubud branch. Tenohembre has the Seminyak branch and I will run the main office in Sanur. Bob will be a messenger delivering our urgent missives.

tengohambre Aug 19th, 2008 03:42 AM

I have already started to search out real estate for the law office. Right here in Seminyak seems great. However, I fear a very bad karma if we start suing people for having tripped over their offerings, so carefully laid out on the street, or if we begin to enforce the motor scooter helmet laws.

We toured with Putu today, a lot. Far and wide. It was a long day. Tanah Lot, Uluwatu, lunch in Ubud, looked at the seafood spots at Jimbaran after sunset and we spent time at his family compound. The latter really was the highlight. Very interesting and we were honored he took us there.

Tmw is the holiday Galungang. Its a relatively big deal and there are hangings of bamboo dragon like arched flag poles. Very hard to describe, but very cool. Every household has one out. (They look almost like a weeping willow tree.) We helped Putu make his.

Uluwatu was quite far and we only saw part of it. Just as we arrived, paid the entrance fee (about one dollar for four of us), and put on the mandatory sarong -- immediately two French tourists came running up to the desk and exclaimed, "I was bit by a moonkey." (Yes, it sounded like I spelled it.) The clerk asked him what happened, did he bother the moonkey, and the tourist said, "No, I was just looking at the trees and a big male moonkey came running at me and bit my leg. I never saw him until he was upon me." And, in fact, the man had two one inch gashes on his calf. Both had visible blood, but were not hemmoraghing. They cleaned it out and we then started walking to Uluwatu. At that point my kids were completely freaked out and as soon as we saw two large monkeys eying us as we approached them that was about all she wrote. We took some photos and that was all of Uluwatu we saw. Putu said maybe the tourist had bothered the monkey but, we were there just as the man explained what happened. He looked at tree; moonkey ran for him; and tourist then ran for help. In truth, he looked pretty freaked, a rather pale face and all. I can't imagine why. As to whether he needs rabies shots, Putu says they don't have rabies here anymore, and maybe all he needs is antibiotics for the wound. Still, that might be a gamble. Of course, I told the kids "wait till we get to monkey forest sanctuary . . . ."

The food here has been great so far. There's a new spot here, Sarong, that is excellent. Very pretty, with a good well known chef. A bit of a nutty combination, Indian and Thai, but the dishes were great. We looked at the new Thai spot at the Anantara hotel (which is also brand new) but it was empty, and after we sat down, we purused the menu, which was quite expensive, and we fled. We had lunch today at Indus in Ubud and that was very good, and it has a very pretty view.

The beach is terrific in Seminyak. Lots going on and you can walk a far distance. We like it a lot. The water can be rough but it seems less so in the afternoon.

What we saw of the seafood stalls at Jimbaran looked Ok. Yet, the smoke was so strong wafting across all the tables that I'm not sure we could've eaten there.

Tonite is maybe a pizza, or similar. It was a long day. We have another day with Putu later in the week and will visit some places closer to Ubud. He is a terrific guide and we recommend him highly.

Oh yes, our wedding/renewal of vows was fantastic. Way more impressive than I had contemplated. About six people in attendance. Many flowers, and garlands, prayers, bells, holy water, offerings, coconuts, more holy water, rice, prayers and a desription as it all occurred. We also had a photog arranged and they seemed to be very good. All in all it was very well done and my wife was surprised and I think I got points for the next 20 yrs of marriage . . .

rhkkmk Aug 19th, 2008 05:07 AM

a restaurant in bali is too expensive for a NY'er?? now i've heard everything!!!

Statefan Aug 19th, 2008 06:08 AM

tengohambre - I am really interested in hearing what your kids liked and did not like about Bali. Where are you staying when you get to Ubud?

Still no word from Putu. ):