BKK to Samui & hotel near airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a best way to fly to and from BKK / Samui? I looked into Bangkok Air but have not checked Thai Air or Air Asia. Is one recommended over the other? Also--can anyone recommend a decent hotel (not too pricey) near BKK to stay for one night before we fly back to the US? Thanks

Kim
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:00 PM

Your options are Bangkok Air and Thai Air. Air Asia doesn't fly that route. Both Thai Air and Bangkok Air are very good airlines. Decide on the basis of price and schedule.

How much time will you have in Bangkok before you fly out the next morning? I ask because the airport hotel is pricey and it's not near anything except the airport. If you'll have half a day, stay in town and have a nice dinner out, visit a spa, do last minute shopping. For the price of a room at the Novotel, you can have a very nice room in the city.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM

bangkok air owns the samui airport and only last year started to allow thai air to fly there...

generally you will find bkk air cheaper, but check the prices in case there are specials...
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Good thought---I will check both and decide based on price and schedule. I have been looking directly on the airline's websites--seemed less expensive than expedia/travelocity/etc.

On the way back to Bangkok, I am planning to fly in mid-afternoon on a Sunday and then we fly out of BKK at 5am Monday(ouch) so we thought staying near the airport might be best...but since I am planning to fall in love with Bangkok, perhaps it might be best to go back into town for one last night. In general, how far is the airport from town?

I have to say I have truly enjoyed "following" both of you (Kathie and rhkkmk) and also Carol on this forum. Your information has been so helpful in planning this trip to Thailand. I especially appreciate rhkkmk's restaurant guide which I have been reading, highlighting, underlining, etc. I cannot wait to try many of the places you have recommended--thanks again for sharing.

Kim
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:03 AM

Hi Kim

I see my name in your post. I'm glad that my BKK information is helpful to you. Thank you!!

I, too, would suggest you stay in the city your last night before flying home. I know, Iknow... those early flights are a real bummer! I always have to be at the airport by about 5:30am myself. But I have yet to pick a hotel near the airport rather than staying in the city. You will have very little traffic so early in the morning, so the trip to the airport might be only 20 minutes! Not bad! Not bad at all.

I hope you enjoy Samui. It's a fun destination, for sure.

And, I hope you've allowed yourself enough time to fall in love with Bangkok!

Carol
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:17 AM

Kim

I went back and re-read your thread about Samui hotels. I had given you information on Seascape. Just wondering if you selected your resort for August. Seascape is on Chaweng, a very busy beach, but with lots to do... or you can do nothing. Good food close by, shopping too.

But I also suggested Crystal Bay Resort. No pool, just a really lovely and much more private sandy beach. You can catch a taxi at the main road to get to Chaweng or other beach areas; or you can rent a car or jeep or motorbike to get around. You want peace and quiet.. white sand... you will have it at Crystal Bay. Also, the little cafe there has a tasty seafood salad for lunch. The pizza is AWFUL!! Don't consider it!!! lol And the very nice Cliff Restaurant is right next door (up a hill) to Crystal Bay.

Carol
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Since you have to be at the airport do early, there will be no traffic. My flight back to the US leaves at 6 am, and it generally takes 20-25 minutes from my hotel on the river to the airport.

I have to admit I really don't like airport hotels. I'll probably spend one night on my way in this time, as I get in at midnight and my onward flight leaves at 7 am, but otherwise, I'd always rather stay in the city.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 02:02 PM

I'm trying to schedule a quickie trip (about 12 days on the ground) to Bangkok in August. It's time for some more shopping in the markets!
Carol
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

I think you have all convinced me to stay in the city of Bangkok for my last night...I think I would regret it if I did not! Funny story...on my way home from work tonight, I stopped for some sushi and a glass of wine. I overheard a couple at the bar talking about visiting Thailand--so I had to ask questions. Turns out--the guy had visited Thailand over 15 years ago and was still talking about it. Still! Can you believe it?

I decided to stay at Tradewinds at Chaweng Beach at Samui. Perhaps not entirely quiet but looks like a beautiful beach. It was a really hard choice (because of so many great choices) and although I could not find a lot of information on the web about Tradewinds, it did get very good ratings in the guidebooks I checked.

Carol--regarding pizza in Thailand---I already know to eat my Thailand pizza at Via Vai! Also--- I will be in Bangkok for 8 days total and cannot wait to go to the markets.

Kim
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Kim
I just googled Tradewinds. Looks just fine! I'm sure I've walked past it, as we walked pretty much the entire length of Chewang Beach in May of 08 when we stayed at Seascape.

I'm sure your trip will be super! Bangkok can be a culture "shock" at first. Just remember that it is really a very safe place with wonderful friendly people, and you will be fine.