Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   BKK Shopping places (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bkk-shopping-places-586448/)

simpsonc510 Jan 30th, 2006 03:40 AM

BKK Shopping places

I was sitting in a chair having my hair done and thought I'd start a list of some of the shopping places I've found in BKK. Many of these are well known on this board, but there may be some others that are new.

1. Platinum Fashion Mall... just opened about two months ago. Located at the corner of Petburi and Ratchadamri (that's just down from World Trade Center, after you cross the little klong) This place is like a night market but air conditioned. Five floors of stalls, mostly filled up!! I didn't have much time here, but I know I'll be back to have a better look at this place. Mostly fashions and accessories. Very busy. Thais like to shop here. If you like MBK you should take a look at Platinum.

2. Pantip... the mega mall for the computer and electronics geek. Need I say more...

3. Pratunam Center... Also on the corner of Petburi and Ratchadamri, just opposite the new Platinum Fashion Mall. I don't think this place is all that great anymore. Didn't go there this trip, but did not find much there the last time I went. Many stalls are closed (maybe due to the NEW competition across the street...)

4. City Center... at the Amari Watergate area of Pratunam. The basement is full of bargains. Didn't get there this trip, but would go back if time next time in BKK.

5. Gaysorn... I always manage to go here because of friends at the Classic Cigars shop on the lower level, and the great restaurant Mistral, also lower level.

6. Siam Paragon... just opened late in 05. Very upscale. They sell Maseratis and Ferrari's (sp) on the 3rd or 4th floor!! I do really like the basement market and food court, even if I don't buy at any of the stores in the mall itself. The Paragon dept store is very nice. Located at the Siam skytrain station.

7. Central Chitlom... favorite department store. It has just about everything!! I can even find "western sizes" here. Located at Chitlom skytrain station.

8. MBK... the mall unlike any other. A favorite of lots of folks. Located at the National Stadium skytrain station.

9. Robinson's dept store... I discovered the Robinson's at Asok skytrain station this trip. Not bad. Not as big a store as Central, but still has a nice selection. I've been in the Robinson's down along the river, near Shangri-La.

10. Times square... one of the boys' pool halls is located in the basement here. I had a great shampoo and style for 200bt at a salon on the top floor. Located at Asok skytrain station. By Sheraton Sukhumvit hotel.

11. Siam Discovery... nice mall with good stores, some western sizes. This is the place to go if you want to see a movie while in BKK. EGV gold class theater is great!!! Top floor of Discovery.

12. Siam Center... next to Discovery, and also to the new Paragon. Many Thais shop here. There is a radio station on about the 4th floor. When I was trying to walk through here the other day, there must have been somebody very famous at the radio station because the young Thais were crowded around the studio windows, with their cameras flashing. How exciting... I have no idea who it was... (my age is showing)

13. World Trade Center... I like to shop here. There are three or four floors of a variety of shops. The place is undergoing some major renovations right now so I did not try to find a way to get inside. But a nice shopping option. Located on Petburi road (I think... or maybe Ratchadamri...) very close to other shopping, like Platinum and Gaysorn Plaza.

14. Nana Square... just opened up not very long ago. On the corner of Sukhumvit and Nana (soi 4). Several floors. Food court on the top floor looks interesting, and not as crowded as some places. Had coffee at Starbucks here.

15. Ploenchit Center... next to the J W Marriott on Sukhumvit, at Ploenchit skytrain station. There is a great grocery store in the basement. We like to shop here. They will deliver our groceries to the Omni.

16. Amarin... next to the Hyatt at Chitlom skytrain station. A lot of Thai products here. Worth a look if you are in the neighborhood.

17. Nari Phand... Great place for Thai crafts. Located just behind Gaysorn plaza, near Chitlom skytrain station.

18. Khun Daeng store... right at the entrance to Nari Phand, up the stairs to the first floor. I like this place better than NaRaYa for cosmetic bags and Thai souvenirs.

19. Emporium... Nice shopping mall. Located at Phrom Phong skytrain station. Not quite as upscale as Paragon (in my opinion) but very nice. I like the Jim Thompson store at the Emporium. I also like the wine selection at the top floor Emporium shop for kitchen gadgets, food, etc.

20. Suanlum night bazaar... soon to be closing. It's a shame too. Such a nice place to go for an evening's entertainment and shopping.

Anyone care to add other favorite shopping haunts to this list???

Carol

bkkmei Jan 30th, 2006 04:57 AM

your list is so full already!
great idea

I bumped into Platinum fashion mall the other day - wow, didn't realise there could be so many variations on a t-shirt! It was cheap and cheerful.

Rather than Pantip Plaza, I like Fortune Town, on Phra Rama 9 underground station. It's a bit more orderly and civilised than Pantip.

will think of more later!

Susan33 Jan 30th, 2006 07:49 AM

Carol--a big thank you for the list of shopping places in Bangkok. I just printed it to take with us. The list will be helpful when we are in Bangkok in February.

rhkkmk Jan 30th, 2006 08:12 AM

great list....isn't plenochit center closed?? in june it was empty i thought and was told it would be redeveloped

Guenmai Jan 30th, 2006 09:48 AM

Great thread...so in the future we won't have to answer the shopping questions for Bangkok...readers can just do a search for this thread. If I think of any other places, I'll add to the list. Happy Travels!

Kathie Jan 30th, 2006 10:10 AM

This is so funny to rea. I love shopping in Bangkok and I never go to malls! I've been inside a couple of these malls, but I've never purchased anything from them.

My list would include the main JT store and the outlet, River City, some small shops on the sois off Sukhumvit, some shops near the Oriental, my favorite jeweler, etc...

glorialf Jan 30th, 2006 10:31 AM

Kathie-- you and I are in the same place. River City and Oriental Place are the only malls I've ever bought anything in and I've spent maybe 4 hours total in the major malls of Bangkok. But I don't shop in malls here either. I think that's why I find Chiang Mai so much pleasanter for shopping -- it still has small shops in areas that are easily walkable.

TracyB Jan 30th, 2006 06:15 PM

That is great..At first i thought that 6 nights in BKK would be way too much, and now and I don't know how we will fit everything in..I still don't know what we will do when we get there other than the 1 day to the Floating Market!!!! And now throw in all the shopping Malls!

Guenmai Jan 30th, 2006 06:56 PM

I love Amarin Plaza. Hardly anyone is there and I just seem to find a lot of things there. I find great things in malls as well as small stores. Happy Travels!

simpsonc510 Feb 5th, 2006 04:20 AM

I'm topping this thread and adding a word about a new tech mall like Pantip. It is very close to the BKK airport. We passed it in the taxi, but did not stop for a look. I'm not sure how well it is doing, considering the location way out from the city. But I guess if you are attending a convention at BKK convention center, it would be closer and easier to navigate.

Kathie and Gloria, the only time I go to River City is to visit a friend who owns two antique shops there. Actually, I never make the trip down to the river to shop at all, because the places I enjoy the most are right in close proximity to Siam area and if I wanted to walk between many of them, it's very easy to do. The river is just too far away. Many times on trips to BKK, I don't go there at all.

Carol

glorialf Feb 5th, 2006 04:42 AM

Catol-- but you're really doing shopping. I buy maybe one thing -- this trip I actually bought nothing. I have clothes made ==that's it. I did buy a lot 20 years ago but that was before many of the malls. And I have bought outside of Bangkok. But when I walk into those malls I feel like I could be anywhere in the world. And I get an instant headache so I stay away. Same is true for me in America. I loathe malls.

Kathie Feb 5th, 2006 10:48 AM

Carol, I think the contrast between your shopping habits, my shopping habits and Gloria's are a good indicator of how three people with different priorities for shoppng and visiting in Bangkok can all love Bangkok.

rhkkmk Feb 5th, 2006 11:47 AM

we love them all and constantly enjoy visiting new areas to shop and browse around....bkk is an amazing place....

rhkkmk Feb 5th, 2006 11:48 AM

i should add that we find emproium, siam discovery and the like very boring and of little interest....

simpsonc510 Feb 5th, 2006 05:10 PM

Bob
I tend to agree with you re: the Emporium and Discovery. I have never spent very much time at Emporium. The best part about Discovery is the EGV Gold Class theater on the top floor, and the "Loft" store on about 3rd floor.

Now, an MBK or World Trade Center has more of interest, and I actually buy goods at these places.
Carol

glorialf Feb 5th, 2006 05:53 PM

Right, kathie!

pepin909 Feb 6th, 2006 09:38 AM

Love Robinson's!!! I also like Seacon Square a lot...

OJudy Feb 6th, 2006 11:02 AM

Thank you for your shopping suggestions, Carol. I printed them out, first time around! I always visit malls, stores and shopping areas -- wherever I travel. I view them as "living museums". You can learn so much about people and their culture just by wandering through their grocery stores, their drug stores, even their 7-11's! No need to buy anything...

simpsonc510 Feb 6th, 2006 11:06 AM

Ojudy
A number of BKK's shopping places are malls that could be located anywhere. You'll find the very upscale and mid priced stores. But I think you will find MBK to be the most interesting of all. Make sure you wander back into what I call the catacombs. These are on most floors, from 4th up, but I think the furniture floor might not have space for individual vendors. There are all sorts of individual "stands" set up, selling all manner of Thai and Chinese-made items. MBK is almost always crowded. Be sure to take a look at the food court on the top floor!
Carol

magical_routes Feb 6th, 2006 08:09 PM

Throwing a few more to the increasing list...

Chatuchak weekend Market - Hot as hell but you must go there once for the experience..

Pat pong Night market - same as above..

Bobae Market and Prince Building - just off Rama 1 road - crowded at times but better selection and cheaper than Platinum and Pratunam

Siam Square - little shops and boutiques dotted all over the place. just stroll around the alleyways...