Bkk on King's Birthday

Search

Bkk on King's Birthday

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bkk on King's Birthday

Looks like we're going to be in Bangkok on December 5....we can either stay at a hotel at the airport or be in town. Are there any special events worth seeing/participating in on that day, or is it better to stay farther afield?
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 06:57 AM

That is such a great day to be in Bangkok! The King is revered in Thailand and really has pop star status, people will be wearing pins with his picture on it, etc. (I actually recall that the King's birthday is November 4, so you might want to double check with the Thai tourism authority.) It will be public holiday, so some things like the National Museum, banks, etc will be closed. Shops should most likely be open. There may be fireworks on the river in the evening.

If you are really lucky (i.e., if this year's birthday is the start of an auspicious cycle) the King's birthday is one of the times when the royal barges out taken out and a procession heads down the river in all its glory. Stay in a hotel on the river if you can, preferably the Penn/Oriental/Shangri-La or Sheraton Royal Orchid area, as the barges may not get as far down river as the Marriott. I would really recommend staying on the river for many reasons, and on the King's birthday even more so, as you will avoid the traffic and crowds of people trying to get to the river. If you don't stay at one of the hotels, arrange to be at the outdoor riverfront cafes at any of the above in time for the parade. (Maybe go for breakfast and just hang around to avoid traffic.) The royal barges are a rare event, you are very lucky! As I believe the barges are out this week for the APAC meeting, I am not sure that this (very expensive) parade will be repeated in December.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Yes! Yes! Yes! Stay in town on the river. I've been in Bangkok sererval times on the King's birthday and it's always special and festive. Cicerone's advice is absolutely right.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:15 AM

we have been in thailand several times for the birthday...there is a great parade at the parade grounds which the king attends....we have never gone to it...almost everything is closed that day....
the city is always decorated with huge yellow flags and almost every building errects a huge memorial picture of the king in a prominent place for all to see..its quite nice...

i would definately stay in the city for this time....

we saw the barges once and this may be a year for them again as i am sure they are being used this week (head of state conference) so will be all spiffed up so maybe they will bring them out in december again...
the best way to see them is to be on another boat or from a window up high overlooking the river....like from the pen, where i think you are staying (you have to make sure your room faces in the correct direction however to see them...i would request a room facing up the river (to the left when in the hotel and facing the river--toward the grand palace---the boats are kept up in back of wat arun)
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Is there any way to know whether the Royal Barges will be out on that day? Our flight leaves 7.am. the next day, so staying in BKK the night before (rather than the airport hotel) is going to be a bit taxing....worth it, it sounds like, if the Royal Barges will on the river. Do they decide last minute, or is there somebody who might know? Also, if the Royal Barges are on parade, does anyone know the time of day this usually happens. (we could stay in BKK Friday night, and with a late checkout, still go the airport late Dec. 5th, after the celebration.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 06:31 PM

i would contact the thai tourist office in bkk and ask them...

at that early hour it is easy to get to the airport....my flight is usually at 6:05AM and i get up at 3, eat breakfast and leave the pen at 3:30...i get to the airport in plenty of time...i get a hotel car so as to assure no slip-ups...
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:20 PM

I always stay in town even though my flight is typically out at 7 am. At that hour, the drive to the airport is easy. The only time I stay out at the airport is when I am arriving from another location late in the evening and flying out the next morning or if I am arriving from the states at midnight and flying out very early the next morning.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:57 PM

kathie--- where do you stay at the airport...we have had bad results at the comfort suites...do you stay at rama gardens....i have a reservation for next time, but am unsure if i want to try it.....??

bob
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

I know the message was directed at Kathie, but we actually stayed at the airport on our last trip (5 years ago)...Stayed at the airport hotel that connects directly to the international terminal. Pricey, unfortunately, and unless you're going to use their nice facilities, probably not worth it. Having said that, it was very nice to be able to walk to the terminal....hotel restaurant was pleasant....a nice ending to that trip. This time however, we're gonna take your advice and stay in town to soak up as much of BKK as possible
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:35 PM

Bob, I usually stay at the Rama Gardens. Make sure to get a room in the new wing (executive grand rooms, I think they are called). The place is MUCH nicer than the airport Amari. They also have a nice Thai restaurant. I've never really eaten breakfast there as it's way too early for me when we have to leave. Their van to the airport was at our call. I do a prepaid booking through asia-hotels.com

Unfortunately, this trip, we're flying though Bangkok to Hanoi, and will have about 6 hours total from arrival time unitl we need to check in for our Hanoi flight. Given such a short time, we decided to stay at the Amari. I'll ignore the price and think of it as being like the transit hotel rooms in Changi.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 07:13 PM

kathie---thanks for the info on the rama---i have a reservation there before an 8:40 am flight to bali so i thought i would give it a try,but then i read some bum reports and had second thoughts........i did not know about that wing so i will check that out and look at the prices on the site you mention....i made my res with the hotel direct....when are you going?? we were in hanoi about 3 years ago and liked it, especially the shopping on hang gai street and that area and in the pottery town outside of hanoi....we need to stay home some thanksgiving to use one of the beautiful tableclothes we purchased.....where are you staying??...we stayed at the daewoo---that was a trip in itself....
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:39 AM

Bob, I leave Seattle on Nov. 9 and will arrive in Hanoi on Nov. 11. We're staying at the de Syloia, a small boutique hotel located right next to the old quarter. We've got a deluxe suite with a jacuzzi for US$95 a night including tax, service and breakfast. It has gotten great reviews, so I hope it's as good as it sounds/ I'll post a review when I return. This is the trip when we will be staying at the Anantara in the Golden Triangle (the old Boran Boran). They have just opened after the complete remodel. I'm really looking forward to it. I know you're interested in that property, and will post a review of it as well.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Kathie..thought I posted a reply, but don't see it...hope you don't get this twice. When will you be returning from Thailand...we would be interested in your observations and hotel reviews. (we stayed at the Boran Boran 5 years ago--wonder how it has changed.) On that trip..our first to Asia, we took the malaria meds, slathered ourselves with deet, and covered up head to toe. On our first night at the Boran Boran in pulls a bus load of tourists wearing short shorts and sandals, and no deet. We couldn't figure out who was crazy, them or us. Still not sure.
We would like to go to Vietnam next. Would be very interested in your travel tips. We leave for Thailand Nov. 20th...I'll be watching for your advice until I go (or you go!)
Joyce
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:22 PM

Joyce, I'm leaving on this trip on November 9 and won't be back until the 29th. So I'll still be away when you leave on your trip. I certainly will post my reviews on this board.

I'm looking forward to the Anantara/Boran Boran. I've stayed at the Anantara at Hua Hin, and the rooms (Lagoon) were stunning. The spa was wonderful! So I'm looking to combine some luxury spa experiences with more adventuresome touring in the area.

I'm always amazed when people arrive someplace totally unprepared for a trip. (your story about the tour bus). Some tour companies tell people that no vaccines, etc are required for where they are going because they don't want to scare people off. Except for yellow Fever, all countries no longer REQUIRE vaccines, but it's obviously smart to get vaccines appropriate to the area and to prepare for mosquitos, etc. Still, I've met people in many places who never even thought to do any research before they traveled.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:21 PM

kathie---you have such a good memory (i left mine in some country that i have forgotten the name of)...we have 3 days in the boran boran next spring, so will look for your reviews...i have nothing planned for that 3 day period so i hope you will come forward with suggestions too....having been recently to burma that part really doesn't interest me...but i'm open to suggestions, especially if there is shopping opportunities...