BKK GTG October 22, 2011

Old Oct 20th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BKK GTG October 22, 2011

I'm tired of searching for the thread that WAS here somehwere, concerning the GTG at Side Pocket on October 22.

I just wanted to refresh everyone's memory. We will meet at Side Pocket at 4:00ish, tomorrow, Saturday, October 22, 2011. Maeng is going to prepare a dinner for us (should be very tasty).

To get to side pocket, make your way to the corner of Sukhumvit and soi 5. It is across from the driveway into the Landmark Hotel. Start walking towards soi 7 (but you've gone too far if you get all the way to soi 7). There is a rather large TATOO sign, and a cement walkway going back maybe 18 feet or so, shortly after leaving the soi 5 corner, and walking down Sukhumvit. This walkway is lined with chairs and girls in green who work for a massage parlor down this hallway. Go all the way to the end of the hallway, and then turn left and go up the stairs. Left at the top of the stairs is the doorway into Side Pocket.

I know of 8 people who will be attending. I'm hoping another fodorite will join us as well (degas, I'm talking about YOU). It should be a good time.

Our group had originally planned to watch the Barge Processional at Maeng's, since it is quite impossible to see it live. Now with the flooding, the barges will not be going down the river tomorrow. But the fodorite GTG will go on as planned.

So..... hope to see everyone tomorrow!

Carol
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 07:28 PM

we'll be there..
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 07:30 PM

i've sent pook an e mail
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 09:27 PM

yes i shall also be there this afternoon. 2 weeks ago it took me about an hour going back and forth on suk. after bobs directions!!! i hope he and karen have a guide in nepal or this will be the last we see of him!

did i mention that bobs signing the tab? so break open the Moet!!! anyone that takes more vacations than jackie O can certainly afford it!
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 10:40 PM

i fooled them, the crown was tin foil from burger king
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 05:32 AM

we had lots of fun tonight and maeng cooked up a storm... there were 7 of us in all...
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Michaelbkk, we missed you! Are you under water now, where you live? Hope not. Degas, we missed you as well!

I think the garlic shrimp was a big hit. Bob always keeps better track of what we ate than anyone, but there were two duck dishes, a rice noodle dish, the garlic shrimp, and I think one more dish? And then there was the mango and sticky rice (YUM).

Maeng told me that mango and sticky rice makes you sleepy. She's right!! There were at least a couple of people, myself included, whose eyes were trying to close!

Thank you, again, Maeng, and it was nice to meet Skip, and to see Bob and Karen and Sandra and Richard there as well.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 01:58 PM

I see that Bob & Karen were there, and saw Bob's report of flooding in BKK but I'm not finding his personal report for this trip. Surely he is giving his usual updates on what's happening.

I was also curious to find out how our beloved Riverside Marriott is, seeing as they will be one of the last to stay there under the Marriott Banner.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 02:00 PM

Ooops, forget that last post, I just found Bob's report!! Can't think why it didn't jump out at me before.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 03:28 PM

Sorry about not being able to come. A family emergency came up. Luckily all it required as a transfer of funds and some stern fatherly advice, but it took time at the wrong time. Your kids grow up and leave your house, but they never really leave, do they?

Hope a good time was had by all. I'll stop by and see Maeng end of next week when I get back from Cambodia. I heard they are also having to deal with some bad flooding as well.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Degas, I'm really sorry we missed you, but, on the other hand, I'm also really thrilled that you were considering coming to meet us all, until your family issue came up.

Maeng will be very happy to see you. Maybe I will be there also, as I'm in the city until 31st.

Sue, yes, Bob and Karen were at the GTG. They finally got to meet Maeng, and try her cooking, after all of these years. I think they enjoyed meeting her at last.

As of right now, BKK city center remains dry. Yesterday they were saying 'two days time' and we will see what happens. Fingers crossed that it isn't too devastating when the water gets here. Hoping the water system will drain it off as quickly as possible.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 04:29 PM

Yeah, I'm a couple of thousand lighter now in the bank. But I'll get paid back eventually, right? Or should I just subtract it from the will?
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 04:36 PM

sue---marriott is fine as of now---some sandbags walls around, like along the roofed walkways near the pool... swimming goes on. river water level was down 18" yesterday...

marriott name has been removed from the entrance gates in prep for change over next week to Anantara. staff don't expect many changes...

a good special offer starts nov 1 and last till next spring...check out the anantara website---~3800B ++
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Degas... 5555555.... I know how you feel. (I just found out yesterday from Maeng that 5 in Thailand means ha!! Thais will write 5555 on facebook posts... I did not know why, until now)

Bob, that's a good deal at Anantara. You should come back next April for the birthday bash at Tawandang!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 05:45 PM

Sorry I missed you guys. I've been fighting some kind of head cold the last few days, and yesterday it hit me like a ton of bricks. Couldn't keep my eyes open and spent most of the day sleeping. Feeling better today so hopefully that was the worst of it.

FWIW, the area of Bangkok I live in is drier than it has been for months. Floods, what floods?
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Michael, sorry to hear about your head cold. Were your ears burning? We talked about you... wondering why you were not there. Hoping you were not flooded in. Still dry here in city center too. Sunny... I assume hot outside. Will find out after breakfast.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 06:53 PM

yes it was a great time at maengs last evening. a lot of fun catching up. bob, karen, and i went to high school together and until last night the prior time together was also in bkk about 5 years ago.

i now believe there is a CSimpson!!! thanks for your hospitality.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 07:00 PM

Carol... tell Maeng again the food was delicious. I am going to try and make that Chix and cashwes like she did when I get home. Michael...hope you are feeling better and thank you for not sharing your cold with all of us. We will catch up with you next trip.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

K, Maeng will teach you to make it, if you find the time to stop by Side Pocket for a cooking lesson.
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 08:06 AM

Enjoying your report Carol! I need to retire soon. I get so jealous reading about all of your travels.....BKK-BOS-Kona-Tampa-BKK-Geneva-IAH-LAX-LAS-ORD.....that's only the typical six months version,lol.

Would loved to have been there when Maeng finally met B Bob,lol

Flying back now to hang out on the wall and keep listening.

Aloha!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -