Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   BKK -- dinner cruise -- recommendations? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bkk-dinner-cruise-recommendations-316296/)

shortstuff Mar 4th, 2008 10:03 AM

BKK -- dinner cruise -- recommendations?

I'm trying to remember (and I may be imagining this) who to go to for a dinner cruise while in BKK? Specifically, I'm looking for the cruise person/company that most tourists don't use. I believe it required going to a pier/area w/ a number on it (i.e., Pier #9)...
One of those best-kept secret kind of recommendation.

I may have read this in a travel book but I thought I saw it on here so I thought I'd ask.

TIA!

glorialf Mar 4th, 2008 10:06 AM

Some of the river hotels have them-- I think the Oriental has one and I believe the Marriot.

shortstuff Mar 4th, 2008 10:08 AM

but you don't have to be a guest at them to use them, correct?

rhkkmk Mar 4th, 2008 10:14 AM

no anyone can make a reservation...

simpsonc510 recently wrote about her experience on one of them...

you can also book them behind the river city shopping center (next to the royal orchid sheraton) at the boat kiosk...

personally i would skip the dinner cruise, take either the tourist boat from taskim pier (end of the skytrain line) or another chao payra express boat for pennies and go out for a really nice dinner in bangkok.....
reviews of the river dinner boats have been very mixed....my wife and i are afraid of the lack of refrigeration on these boats and the handling of the food stuffs...

shortstuff Mar 4th, 2008 10:17 AM

oh, thanks for that info. i'm more interested in the river/sights than the food that might be on them so that's really helpful.

thanks, everyone!

rhkkmk Mar 4th, 2008 08:12 PM

added to that thought, you can see much better in the day light...

glorialf Mar 5th, 2008 03:48 AM

I'm also not a fan of the river cruises -- think there are many better and cheaper ways to experience the river.

tweety817 Mar 5th, 2008 05:06 AM

There are several boats which charge 70 Baht for the cruise alone. They serve dinner separately. These are not tourist boats.
They are listed at www://bkk.sawadee.com/canals.htm

shortstuff Mar 5th, 2008 05:11 AM

oh, thanks, tweety (and everyone)! i think that's what i was thinking i read about -- a cheap ride to give the feet a break. :)

simpsonc510 Mar 5th, 2008 06:18 AM

Shortstuff,

Bob is right. I did just report (in February) about my river dinner cruise. It was on the Oriental's rice boat. Seeing the river at night is nice because of all the lights.

The cruises we've taken before have all been buffet style service. This one was a set menu. My DH doesn't eat fish or seafood, so some of the dishes were not what he would normally have selected. But the food, the presentation, it was all very lovely (but expensive).

When I go back in April/May, I will be showing friends from Germany the sights of Bangkok. I don't think we will take a dinner cruise. We will probably opt for a klong tour instead. VERY interesting!! No food involved...

Carol