BKK city to airport for 1 am flight

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BKK city to airport for 1 am flight

Read posts re BKK Airport hotels but want to stay in city and do some shopping after our flight from Myanmar arriving BKK 11am and before our flight to Istanbul at 1.05 am the following day i.e. we have approx 12 hrs to shop, eat, sleep and travel from and to airport. Would it be wiser to stay at the Rama airport hotel and not risk the 9 pm taxi trip from BKK city to the airport or should traffic be OK at 9 pm from BKK to airport. Are there any good shopping centres for DVD's and clothing near Rama hotel? Appreciate opinions!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 04:07 PM

Consider the Watana Mansion as an option. It's inexpensive and close enough to the airport to not be a worry for traffic jams, but there's still shopping close by on Ratchadapisek Road as well as taxis to take you wherever you want to go during that 12 hours.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:00 PM

you might check out "day rates" for the rama, the amari and the comfort suites...it might not cost too much and would give you a cheap alternative and allow you to freshen-up before heading to the airport after shopping...
i think allowing 1 hour from the city to airport, via the toll road should be enough at 9 PM if you are coming from sukhumvit or some easy approach to the toll road....plan your shopping accordingly.....how about hiring someone like Ratt the driver who is often spoken about on this forum...she charges 200B per hour and will ferry you around in a/c...???
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Many tks for replies. Much appreciate opinions. Bob, Ratt did not pick us up as arranged so wouldn't want to risk that again. Glad others were lucky to get her on a "good day" when she had not overbooked herself! Will check out both hotel options. Anyone else have a driver recommendation for BKK? Tks again.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 06:37 PM

If you decide to use the Watana Mansion email me and I'll send you some info that will make it easy for you to get there by taxi even if you don't speak the language.

[email protected]
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks brother! We decided on Asia Airport hotel on www.thai-hotels.com for US$36. There is a water festival on in BKK when we arrive so decided not to risk more than 15 min shuttle ride to airport. Future Park, Rangsit is short taxi away so shopping should be great! Tks for your kind offer of assistance and best of luck.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Have a great time, be prepared to get completely soaked during the festival!!!