BKK & Vietnam in Oct

Search

BKK & Vietnam in Oct

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BKK & Vietnam in Oct

Will be in BKK and Vietnam Oct 17 - Nov 5. Weather reports say highs in the 80s and lows in the 70s, but how humid is it? Is true that you should not wear shorts as it is disrespectful? I don't want to offend anyone. What about sleevless tops for women?
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 11:09 PM

No shorts and no sleevless tops, please!

You can be just as cool in skirts, capris, lightweight slacks (no jeans...too hot!) and soft breathable fabrics!And you won't offend locals that way.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks for a quick reply. we are trying to figure out what clothes to take. sounds like mid calf capris are okay. weather reports say we should expect rain part of everyday. Do you have experience there this time of year? Should we take rain ponchos or is an umbrella enough?
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 09:40 AM

A rain poncho will be too hot. Just take an umbrella. You'll use it to keep the sun off as well as the rain.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

thank you. Do you have a favorite tailor there? Cotton house for women and 2 others for men seem to pop up most often in the forum. Also, do you know if you can get swedish type massages. I've had back surgery so I can't do a typical thi massage
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 05:58 PM

the weather will be in the 80's and low 90's probably, with very high humidity in thailand....

sweedish massage is available in some places...

clothing...loose fitting cotton and/or linen clothing is suggested....no synthetics....

shorts are really not appropriate in bangkok, although you see many locals and and tourists wearing them....i actually prefer long pants to cover up the street grime and protect me from the intense sun....

good comfortable shoes are a help also...i find sneakers way too hot...i use sandals quite a bit, but prefer a pair of shoes for evening...

my wife wears slacks most of the time and a decent top, nothing revealing or see-through....conservative is always better there....
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:32 PM

You can get swedish or other types of gentle massage at almost any spa in Bangkok. You won't find that type of massage at Wat Po or at the massage-only places (which typically offer only Thai massage). Sometimes such gentle massage is called swedish massage, but other gentle massages may be aromatherapy massge (done with scented oils). Also any good masseuse will ask wither you want gentle, medium or strong/firm pressure.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 10:24 PM

I will be traveling to BKK next week. Info was very interesting about dress. Some of my questions were answered? I plan on looking for 100% cotton guest towels and other items. Does anyone know where these might be available? I will also be traveling up to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 05:38 AM

cotton items are widely available all over the city of bkk....also in CM.....
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 07:25 AM

You can wear shorts. You're a tourist! The way the Thais follow us in the West, in 5 years they will be wearing them as well. Remember my saying so.

October is nice in Thailand. Hot, Humid, yes, but not unbearably so. Have a great time!!
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 07:56 AM

My official Thai "uniform" is a black skirt that goes just below my knees and a dark colored tank top. There are no crazy Nike or beer logos on anything (not that you would wear such attire). I have noticed that many Thai's wear loose button up shirts and long skirts or shorts. I have not been asked to cover up, yet. My husband wears Cargo shorts and either a button up shirt or some t-shirts that we've bought here. The humidity is the real problem for us, we are really hot and sweaty even when it rains. We hope that helps! Cheers, Alie http://hobosinlovemedia.com
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:19 AM

Tank tops are not appropriate attire for visiting wats. Typically, the only place you'll be stopped will be the Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha, but having the shoulders uncoverd in a wat is considered disrespectful.

My rule of thumb is that in the cities, whatever I wear whould be appropriate for entering wats. At the beach or in a resort, shorts and tank tops are fine.

Generally, the Thais are too polite to say anything about people wearing shorts or tank tops around the city. But you may well be asked to cover up at a wat.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments. Kathie, have you traveled in Vietnam? If so, do the same cultural things apply there also?
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 01:01 AM

I can help w/ ur VN question. As a Vietnamese-looking American who speaks Vietnamese and lived in HCMC for 4 years, this is based on personal experience and understanding.

About the wear-whatever-you-want-you're-on-vacation reasoning: Few enough Vietnamese are comfortable in a foreign language, and those who are will usually be too polite to make you lose face. But you should hear what they're saying about you in their own language.

If you wear a tank top, which is considered immodest for all but children and prostitutes, people will think you don't respect VN. Same w/ shorts. Vnese show regard for the places they visit by dressing well, even on vacation. Working-class women, such as those who sell soft drinks on the sidewalk, will wear not tank tops but tops that extend to the shoulder.

It's up to you, of course. If you look Western, people won't make you lose face. When I was new to HCMC and dressed inappropriately, I got kicked and spat at. I hate sleeves in hot climates, but I learned to adjust.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:35 AM

"If you wear a tank top, which is considered immodest for all but children and prostitutes, people will think you don't respect VN".

I have to disagree with this statement. My wife is Vietnamese and not a prostitute (she's an HR Representative for a VN owned Freight Forwarding Company in HCMC and before that a manager for SONY). She has to wear a suit to work everyday. She has worn tank tops when we go out during the day or the evening. She's never been spat on or kicked by any locals. In fact she's often complimented on how nice she looks. She wears what she wants and is not worried about receiving comments from other Vietnamese, otherwise she wouldn't do it.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:17 AM

Glad for your wife.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 05:19 AM

I will be in traveling to Beijing (in two days), then Hong Kong where I pick up Regent Cruise Line. After 12 days of Vietnam ports we end up in BKK.

We only have a very short time to shop in BKK but I here it is a great place to get chic eye glasses/frames at great prices.

Does anyone know if Beijing or Hong Kong are similar and do you know of any stores that would be reliable.

Also I here the streets are so dirty that you really shouldn't wear open toed shoes. Any comments?

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:05 AM

"Glad for your wife".

So am I.

Good to know you're not an expert on Vietnam.

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:25 AM

hong kong is a great place for eyeglasses....there is a whole are on kowloon where one street has many eye places....i am a bit fuzzy as to where it is but i think basically it is in back of the sheraton on a street parrell to nathan road...
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 08:21 AM

Bisbee - your input is a valuable asset to this board.

However, except for rkk and GPanda (there are exceptions to every rule!)- everyone is kind and polite here. Your comment to Mari808 is rude and unneccessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -