Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   BKK airport to Marriott Spa (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bkk-airport-to-marriott-spa-558385/)

123Go Sep 14th, 2005 05:47 AM

BKK airport to Marriott Spa

We will be 4 adults with luggage. Can we take a taxi together or should we split up?

Also, when doorman at Marriott gets us a taxi, do we tip him? If so how much?

glorialf Sep 14th, 2005 06:28 AM

You will need two cars. You won't fit and your luggage won't fit in the trunk.

123Go Sep 14th, 2005 06:45 AM

Gloria, that's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.

rhkkmk Sep 14th, 2005 10:19 AM

the regular taxi is a toyota corolla in bkk generally....so you will need two...i would get AAC limo for about 800B....you can all go in one mercedes...do an advance booking with them....the taxis will each cost about 300-400 B plus tolls...

i do not tip the doorman every time....i give him B a few times during the stay depending on what he does for me....like store things or move suitcases....i give him 40-100 B each time....i do not see anyone give him money for just getting a taxi...a tip early in your stay will pay off if you know what i mean....it is not just one door man....there are usually 2 door people and at least one if not two people out front....they are all wonderful people....just fold up a bill and slip it to them...they will be so apreciative....if you do not tip, do not expect bad service...they love eveyone...they are just glad that you are there and providing them with a job...\

you will love the marriott...

visit jack at monet il sarto tailor shop out in the mini mall for clothing...he does a great job at reasonable prices---overlooking the mall parking lot...

\cheap laundry in basement of the mall parking garage if you need it...

glorialf Sep 14th, 2005 10:25 AM

Even with a Mercedes they will probably need two because the trunks aren't that big.

123Go Sep 14th, 2005 04:43 PM

Bob & Gloria, useful/helpful tips as usual. Thanks.

rhkkmk Sep 14th, 2005 06:21 PM

that is a point gloria....i find them about twice the size of the toyota, but if they are bringing big cases they may need two or a van which the hotel could supply for them---at a price...their sedan was $36++ the last time i checked....e mail the hotel and ask or ask AAC limo also...my guess is $75++

123Go Sep 15th, 2005 05:39 AM

bob, I don't have an email address for the Marriott direct. Looked on all my confirmations and none shown. Called state side central res and they said they don't have one. Do you?
mary ann

rhkkmk Sep 15th, 2005 06:12 PM

123---give this a try:

[email protected]

i also have a direct e mail to the mgr of the fleet if this does not work, but i would have to dig that out...

123Go Sep 16th, 2005 05:39 AM

Bob, your email worked :-) and they've already replied to my message, I'm impressed.

They quoted one van for 4 adults at B2200 net per van/each way.

How does that sound to you vs getting two metered taxis with toll?
Thanks for your imput
Mary Ann

mrwunrfl Sep 16th, 2005 05:57 AM

Must be a nice van for 2200. At that price you could hire four taxis, two to carry two persons each and the other two just to carry the luggage and still have 1000 left over.

123Go Sep 16th, 2005 10:00 AM

I thought it seemed high too, but then I'm still a Thai rookie, for now :-)

orgy7 Sep 16th, 2005 10:15 AM

2200 thats whay too high (THAT WHAT ONE PAYS FOR A FULL DAYS SERVICE, IF THAT.)

NOTE. if ya post you want airport to cithy they will think your are a rich one time faragne and will just squeeae ya for alll ya have.. For where ever ya go. always say you've been there many time... then thay may will give give ya an adiquite quote.
'

glorialf Sep 16th, 2005 10:20 AM

The hotel cars and vans will always be more. And the van may well be big enough for 6-8 people which is why it is priced so high. I don't think they will be cheaper if you say you're a frequent visitor. If you want to pay less don't use the hotel's services.

rhkkmk Sep 16th, 2005 06:43 PM

2200 is $55 more or less....the marriott sedan was $36 last i checked...that is also ++, which adds 17.7% to the price...

check to see what AAC limo can do for you or ratt...

[email protected]

[email protected]

they should both be less....

after a long flight you really don't care how much it costs, believe me...you just want to get out of there...

two taxis would be about 960 B total...but you still might not have room for any big cases...don't take big ones by the way...part of the fun is also sharring first impressions as you drive into bkk and you cannot do that in two cars...

123Go Sep 17th, 2005 01:00 AM

orgy 7: I didn't tell them I was a first time/one time traveler, I just asked for a rate for the date/time I needed it. Maybe they assumed the rest.

glorialf: I wondered if it might be a big van too, only thing that justified the rate.

rhkkmk: we'll only be coming from Phuket, so not a long flight, but you're right, it would be more fun to share our first arrival into BKK with our friends. I just emailed airporttaxithi and will also try AAC.
Ratt would be fun, but the time of day arrival wouldn't be using her to our advantage.

Will keep you posted, would like to be able to help other first timers to the Marriott.

rhkkmk Sep 17th, 2005 06:52 AM

aac and airporttaxithai are the same company

123Go Sep 17th, 2005 12:13 PM

ooooh, glad I hadn't emailed them yet.