Japan, japan

Old Feb 14th, 2014, 06:58 PM
kja
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan, japan

As some of you have undoubtedly realized, there are currently two tags for Japan -- with and without a capital J. From what I can tell, posts tagged for one don't necessarily show up if one looks for threads posted under the other. And I haven't been able to "view" threads tagged for "japan." I've tried to contact the editors about this problem, but have had no success in effecting a change or eliciting a response. So maybe some of you can try. At the very least, if you haven't already done so, you might want to keep this problem in mind.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 09:05 PM
hnl

I attempted to post to lowercase Japan and it is no longer active. I also have another question about Kyoto. I am booked at the Westin for 3 nights and the Citidines for 3 nights. How would you divide my sightseeing itinerary? Northern and Southern Higashiama, philosophers path ect...while at the Westin, and Western and Central Kyoto while at the Citidines. When would you explore northern and southern Kyoto? Any suggestions?
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 09:44 PM
kja
Original Poster

Hi, hnl --

If you haven't already done so, try posting to the Japan (capitalized) board and if that doesn't work, click the yellow triangle sign with an exclamation point to the upper right of your post to contact the editors and ask them to do so. I'm sure you'll get feedback from others if you manage to switch your question to the Japan list, even if you ultimately need to start a new thread!

If you haven't already done so, I urge you to consult japan-guide.com -- it will have the answers to almost any question you could ask about visiting Japan! (however it is spelled! ;-) )

So you have 5 full days for Kyoto, or is it 6 days? Either way -- great! And just to be clear, is your aim to visit ONLY Kyoto during this time, or are you also considering Nara or other side trips, or will you be visiting them separately?

Some preliminary thoughts --
- IME, it takes about 2 days to visit both the northern and southern parts of Higashiyama. There are wonderful things to be seen in both parts; only you can decide how many of them to include in your plan. The Philosopher's Path is a relatively short (~ 2 km) long pathway along the northern stretch of Higashiyama from Ginkakuji to Nanzenji. If you are in that area and are able to walk it, there is no reason not to do so -- it can be quite pleasant, even outside of cherry blossom season.

There are some wonderful things to see in each direction from central Kyoto -- only you can decide what most interests you. Nothing any of us can tell you will substitute for your own interests. So ask what you need to ask to help focus your research, do some research, and come back to us with the questions that will help you finalize the plan that best suits your interests.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 11:50 PM
hnl

Since this is my 1 st trip the logistics are still a bit cloudy. I planned on a trip to Fushim Inari as well as the temples in Northern Kyoto. My guess is these areas will take a day each, as well as a day each for Northern and Southern Higashiama. Thanks for your input! Since I have 6 nights and 7 full days, I should have no problem covering all the above.
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 10:21 AM
kja
Original Poster

Fushimi Inari is just a bit south of the southern part of Higashiyama and is open 24/7, so you can see it after other things have closed, if that works out for you. I thought it wonderful around sunset. Depending on which temples you choose to see in northern Kyoto, you may be able to see other things on that day as well. Do consider visiting Nara while in the area. Seven full days in the area sounds wonderful! FWIW, I spent 4 full days in Kyoto and 2 full days in/near Nara.
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 02:49 PM
hnl

Thanks for the tip. Fushimi Inari sounds like a great idea at sunset. I will also be taking a day trip to Nara, would have loved an overnight in Nara but I have changed my itinerary around so much, it will have to be done next trip.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 09:07 PM
kja
Original Poster

I notice that your thread slid off the main page, so if you are still seeking feedback, do start a new post with the (capitalized) Japan tag!
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 04:04 PM
kja
Original Poster

The editors finally eliminated the false "japan" tag -- life is good!
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 05:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Apparently the tech side didn't know anything about the japan/Japan glitch. A couple of days ago I posted a note about it on the Help Forum and Bryan took care of it almost immediately.

FYI -- when someone has a problem w/ the website it is best to post it on the Forums Help Forum instead of the subject forums -- the tech staff don't usually see/monitor threads on the travel boards.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 05:53 PM
kja
Original Poster

Thanks, janisj! I tried multiple avenues, which did not include the Help Forum. I can certainly understand that the tech staff don't monitor the travel boards -- but why didn't those who did monitor the boards, and the "triangle" messages, notify the tech staff? Ah, well, life is full of mysteries. I'm glad your efforts proved more effective than mine.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 05:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> but why didn't those who did monitor the boards, and the "triangle" messages, notify the tech staff?