Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Have two weeks in India. What are your lists of must sees/cant misses?

Old Jul 7th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am planning a trip to India in November. I am a woman traveling alone. I have no clue about where I should go... and all the threads that I read with itineraries seem to involve much longer trips!! I am having a rough time narrowing it down to a 14-18 day trip. Can anyone give me their list of must sees? I want beauty and culture and animals and people and beaches and .... a mix of everything I guess!

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 05:51 PM

for that length of time the golden triangle (delhi, agra and jaipur) would be perfect and add varanasi to complete the trip..

hire a delhi co-ordinator to help you and save time and $$.. i like castle and king for this.. get an suv and be driven everyplace but to varanasi..

get a frommers or fodors book to help you
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 06:15 PM

In two weeks you can try to do a famous golden triangle with few more places adding into it ie Delhi >Agra>Ranthambore national park>Jaipur>Udaipur>Goa.
2 nights----------------Delhi.drive to Agra.
1 night-----------------Agra.drive to Ranthambore visit fatehpur sikri on the way.
2 nights-----------------Ranthambore national park.drive to Jaipur.
2 nights------------------Jaipur.fly to Udaipur.
2 nights------------------Udaipur.Fly to Goa.
5 nights-----------------Goa.
thanks
naziyaahmed1
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 07:15 PM

The trick is to decide what is important to YOU to see/do/experience and stick with that. The above schedule is crazy. Take your time. Bob's suggestion makes sense.
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 10:51 PM

Hi,

I'm a TV news reporter (BBC) and Luxury Travel writer.

Just recently returned from Nth India.

I'd say some of the hill stations in the Himalayas are worth visiting - must be seen to be believed! Such as Manali, Shimla and Dharamshala. The latter is so peaceful and spiritual, the home H H Dalai Lama and Tibetan followers with beautiful monasteries. my review is here, will give you a taster ith photographs,.,
http://ani-shah.com/2012/07/01/buddh...t-dharamshala/

The Golden Temple in the Punjab is stunning and a true cultural experience full of colour.
http://ani-shah.com/2012/07/03/pride...golden-temple/

In Rjasthan, go to th big cities such Jodhpur to see th blue houses in the old town and Udaipur for beautiful temples lining the lakes. But b ure to visit lesser known places like Mandawa and Bikaner for painted havelis and the rat temple!! I've reviewed those here...

http://ani-shah.com/2012/07/04/manda...toric-havelis/
http://ani-shah.com/2012/07/05/livin...ce-in-bikaner/

And for the ultimate in culture, colour and the true essence of India, it has to be Haridwar and Varanasi. I could have stayed at each forever. Sat on banks of holy River Ganges, full of orange - robed priests and spectacular evening Aarti ceremonies...http://ani-shah.com/2012/06/02/deep-...y-in-haridwar/

I've put up a photo gallery (for an exhibition) of my colourful highlights from trip... Enjoy! It's at http://ani-shah.com/2012/06/24/impre...t-of-a-people/

Have a wonderful time. You will meet some wonderful characters and learn he most incredible things x
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 01:37 AM

YOu can see everything you mentioned in 10-14 days in Kerala.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 01:49 AM

To clarify: the "you " in the above post is the OP, mkude, and i meant 14-18 days.

Anisha (?) your photos and descriptions are lovely and very evocative for those who
ve been to the areas described.

I too loved Amritsar and surroundings!!!!
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 07:39 PM

nazi---wayyyy tooo much
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 04:39 AM

Must go rohtang, kashmir and kerala.
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 09:13 AM

We were in India for 18 days in 2010 and did the usual--Delhi, Agra, Jaipur--then a stop at a lovely nature reserve, Chatra Sagar (but no animals there), Jodhpur, Udaipur and Varanesi--and never felt rushed anywhere. However, as a single woman alone, I think you'd enjoy yourself MUCH more if you went with one of the small tour groups (7 to 8 people) that several Fodorites have written terrific trip reports about. Travelling alone with a driver doesn't offer you many opportunities to meet anyone other than your driver and the local guides.

India is WONDERFUL and there are so many places that could be considered "must sees" but it's always a question of what your interests and time allow. It sounds as if you have a wide spectrum of possibilities. I'd recommend the Rough Guide on India; it's very comprehensive and covers high and low. And there are so many excellent books about India (NINE LIVES for one) that you may want to read to help you get a sense of the country.

The research is half the fun!
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 06:16 AM

Bookmarking
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Amy

I went as a solo woman to India in 2008; while I did have the occasional car and driver, I also went via train and planes between places, and got to meet a lot of people. I had three weeks, but my first week was in the South; for two weeks, I'd guess you'd want to stay in the North, and my "don't miss" places there? Varanasi, no question, and, cliche as it is, the Taj Mahal. There's just nothing, nothing like it. It thrilled me to my toes.

Here's my trip report for a bit more insight: http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...rip-report.cfm
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 11:55 AM

amritsar(golden temple), Taj mahal and jaipur are highly recommended
You will be landing in Delhi most probably so a day or 2 in delhi going around the streets for shopping and food will be good.
Also if you wish to be visit some indian beaches, GOA( Hangout and parties) or Kerela(Silent backwaters)will be a good options for you.
Get back to me for any clarifications
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM

In my opinion you can visit like : Delhi,Nawalgar,Bikaner,Jaislaemr,Jodhpur,Rankpur(i ts a very nice and calm place to visit) than Udaipur, Bundi,Jaipur, Agara and back
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 08:11 AM

Bookmarking
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 12:40 AM

I would highly recommend Udaipur. There are so may beautiful temples, palaces, gardens, lakes, roof top restaurants and other phenomenal sites. There are some great places to see off the beaten path as well. I would recommend getting a feel for the real India by visiting a local village or visiting a school. I have some great recommendations. Feel free to private message me

Best of Luck to you!
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 10:22 AM

bookmarking