Bicycling (a road bike) in Vietnam

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to hear from anyone who could tell me how it would be for a woman to do a solo bike trip in Vietnam. I've solo biked in other countries, but always Europe or N. America. I'm also interested in routes - is there any other road from south to north other than Hwy 1? Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks - Wendy
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:56 AM

all by yourself?? i cannot imagine doing this quite honestly.

the safety i would worry about would be your safety from traffic and potential breakdowns..
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do a great deal of solo travel, and I think you would be quite safe in Vietnam, but for a bike trip I might want some kind of support. You might try contacting the person posting this: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...readID=1813076
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:50 AM

Because it's a bike trip and you'll be in rural areas where, if you needed assistance, it would be difficult, I'd consider a company that arranges bike trips to at least offer assistance as needed. When we were in Sri Lanka, we met two women who worked for Spice Roads in VN. You might contact them and see if they could provide back-up assistance if needed.
Old May 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your concern, but if it is safe to travel alone, it is safe to bike alone. I've ridden solo in Croatia, Sicily and other parts of Italy, Corsica and other parts of France, and various provinces in Canada. It's a wonderful way to meet people, partly because I'm a woman biking alone which stimulates curiosity and partly because I'm going to be 60 this year so to them, I'm "old", which also stimulates curiosity. People want to help me. It's really quite wonderful. I'm more wondering about routes. It looks like there is only one north to south road so it gets lots of traffic. I'm not worried about getting hit (that has only happened here at home when both my legs were broken), but I don't like all the noise and exhaust you get in less developed countries. Can you help with info about that? Thanks very much.
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2000 copy of a Lonely Planet Road Atlas that includes Vietnam. It looks like you could take route 6 east out of Hanoi to pick up route 15 headed south from Mai Chau, although that would be a big detour. At Cam Lo, north of Hue, you'd need to go east again on route 9, and then south on route 14, although that will put you on an unsealed road through the mountains to a place called Plei Can, where the road will be sealed again. Eventually route 14 meets route 13, which takes you into Saigon.

I think you're more likely to find cyclists over on Lonely Planet's thorntree than here. This site might also be useful: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:27 PM

you asked for opinions and you got them... but you must think we are stupid... solo travel and solo bike travel are two totally different things... each of the places you mention are so totally different from SEA. BUT evidently you know that so have a good time. we won't bother with flowers as you do not seem to care.
Old May 9th, 2011, 06:14 AM

Ouch Bob...a bit harsh! Wendysuebob - I agree with Thursday that this is not the right forum for you as most on here do not do the rugged route. Be aware though, that the heat in Asia is like nothing you have experienced in Europe and Canada. It wipes you out like nothing you can experience elsewhere. Sounds though like you are in great shape. As for the Vietnamese people, I do not think you have anything to fear...they are lovely. You may have communication issues in remote areas as it is unlikely that you will find English spoken, but I find that with hand signaling, most communication issues can be overcome. I applaud you for your gutsiness, but quite frankly, would never attempt to ride a bike in that kind of heat.
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:06 AM

yes
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:09 AM

I did a week-long bike tour in southern Vietnam in the Mekong delta region with four friends. It was lovely on the offroads, but on the main roads, not a bit of fun. You've got cars and millions of motorcycles driving wherever they pleas and tons of buses and trucks spewing exhaust.

I would not attempt a N-S trip unless there were alternates to the main highway.

Although I did quite a lot of independent bike touring in Europe when I was younger, I was very happy to have a back up van to carry luggage and us when it got too hot, too rainy, or too much traffic.

Have you read <i>Catfih and Mandala</i>, by Andrew Pham? He go by bike from Saigon to Hanoi.
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM

That should be <i> Catfish and Mandala </i>.

and "He went by bike"

I should not post on my Blackberry!
Old May 10th, 2011, 04:04 PM

Be like the local farmers and start at dawn, then rest in the hottest part of the day. A company I've looked at is http://grasshopperadventures.com/tours.php?style=all. They may be worth talking about for logistic issues. Also try a google search as various other companies run bike tours in Vietnam. See where they go. I'd suggest trying to keep off the main roads. The traffic is different to put it mildly.

Good luck. You sound as if you are planning an amazing adventure!
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:56 PM

Just a thought but do you really need to go the entire north to south route. There are several remote areas which would lend themselves to cycling, The "Dien Bien Phu loop" from Hanoi to Sapa via DBP, Mai Chau valley, Son La etc. has great scenery, little traffic and v. friendly people. We saw a number of people on cycling expedition in theis region a few years ago. The Ba Be lakes area in the NW, parts of central Vn around Hue & Hoi An, the mekong delta are all worthy of consideration and you could always move between areas by train or bus.Even travel companies like Intrepid and travel Indochina take this approach

It is perfectly possible to do this by yourself by I do feel that a guide may enhance you experience in the more remote areas.

Some have commented above re the heat but don't forget that being an extremely long thin country the weather will be totally different in the different region. In the north for example, it can get very cold in Nov-Feb so plan accordingly. I wish you well in your trip. please do report back if you go ahead.

A book I woulde highly recommend to you is Dervla Murphy's account of her travels in neighbouring Laos by bike. Entertaining and moving.
Old May 12th, 2011, 06:41 PM

Lived through 60 winters, biking solo through VN, whatever you do, however it ends up, you're a rock star~! Report back please.
Old May 27th, 2011, 01:06 AM

Hi Wendy,
It's quite surprising for me that you often travel alone. I don't worry much abt yr safety coz' Vietnam is a safe country,and i believe that only when you can handle everything do you bike alone. I just think it's a little bit lonely for someone to go on alone for so long. Any way, Vietnam is a good country to discover. if you have any problems on yr way don't hesitate to ask for help. People are friendly and willing to help you. Take care and have safe trip
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 05:04 AM

Get packed and do it ! There have been so many tours that solo traveller made it happen in Vietnam. Get a map, stop by a local market get some snacks and water, then enjoy the riding. Make sure that you ride on the right lane, then everything will be alright. Get lost ? Not a problem, just stand there, locals would come and help you out. The best way to explore such a beautiful country, Vietnam !