Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bhutan with Aman hotels, worth it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bhutan-with-aman-hotels-worth-it-1120325/)

GregRitmo Jul 21st, 2016 10:20 AM

Bhutan with Aman hotels, worth it?

We are at a planning stage of probable first visit 7 days trip early next year.

Came across the itinerary by Aman hotels, and it looks impressive.

Just wanted to ask the experts here if it is worth the price, as it seems a bit over the line.

Any recommendations of good value luxury hotels in Bhutan? We don't mind paying a bit extra though we consider character.

Any trip ideas are welcome

Kathie Jul 21st, 2016 12:19 PM

"good value luxury hotels in Bhutan" is a bit of an oxymoron. Most of the hotels are fairly basic. There are two ( believe) Uma hotels in Bhutan that are not as outrageously priced as the Amans.

Only you can decide if the Amans are worth it to you. We had a recent trip report here by someone who stayed in the Amans. Look for it by choosing "Bhutan" in the search by country option at the top of the page.

Cyansiam Jul 22nd, 2016 01:45 AM

I looked at Bhutan for end of our trip this year and ended up removing it due to the cost. If using just Amans where available it added about 4K to cost of the selection below. Uma also do packages but they only have the two as Kathie has said, they look good hotels.

Hotels intended to be used:

Thimphu - Taj Tashi
Punaka - Uma
Gantay - Gangtey Goenpa Lodge
Bumthang - Amankora
Paro - Zhiwaling - this one I would have changed

thursdaysd Jul 22nd, 2016 05:53 AM

How expensive?

How expensive with cheaper hotels?

Bhutan is definitely worth visiting, only you can say whether the difference in cost is worth it <b>to you</b>.

GregRitmo Jul 22nd, 2016 10:18 AM

Thanks to all for your feedback.
Cyansiam I would have a brief look at hotels you recommend.

I heard of local dance festivals in Bhutan, anything around late Jan or so?

Thanks again

Lolazahra Jul 22nd, 2016 02:06 PM

There are a couple of really recent Bhutan trip reports with active forum members who travel often to seek rich cultural experiences and usually stay at very nice properties. Check them out. They are really insightful and fun reads. You will find them easily by selecting Bhutan in view by country. Happy planning!

AskOksena Jul 22nd, 2016 09:34 PM

Greetings to the OP, Greg, and hope you have the opportunity to visit Bhutan; we truly enjoyed our ten-day stay last year. (And well done on your India impressions; fine report.)

My all-too-brief review of the Amankora on my profile page barely touches on that special holiday. (Should add that our bill was far below the rates quoted on the Amankora site; main reasons being a loyal guest at the Amanpuri (Phuket) since her earliest days and some wonderful friendships with various Aman executives and managers.)

Hope you are able to experience Bhutan; special part of the world. Should your travels ever take you to our fine home of Singapore, happy to assist with lodging and aviation suggestions. Enjoy your planning,

robert

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...

GregRitmo Jul 24th, 2016 10:13 AM

AskoSena, that's wonderful!

would go through your trip report, great help. thank you!

Singapore is on my bucket list with some SE nations as well.

cmstraf Aug 3rd, 2016 06:08 AM

We loved the Zhiwaling and thought it was good valued. It is also owned and managed by the Bhutanese which Aman and Uma are not. That said, the Uma hotels look wonderful to me.

rabselnima Aug 15th, 2016 08:11 PM

Hi GregRitmo, Its great to know that you are planning to visit Bhutan - Land of happiness. So if i directly go to point about your trip planning to Bhutan, there are many luxury resorts and the hotels with inclusive of Amankora too.

As i list you the luxury hotels here:

Amankora at Paro, Thimphu, Punakha, Gangtey and Bumthang

Uma Resort at Paro and Punakha

Le Meridien at Paro and Thimphu

Zhiwaling Resort at Paro

Taj at Thimphu

So in terms of the facility and the services it will be almost similar so i would recommend to go with Uma Resort in which you can be in your budget as it is not expensive as Amankora and the services and facility won't by much difference.

So all the best with your trip plan to Bhutan.

Thank

GregRitmo Aug 19th, 2016 08:19 AM

thank you for all your valuable inputs and feedback. We have now decided to go with the Aman hotels for our week in Bhutan. Though the prices are exorbitant, but reading all reviews of Aman hotels in Bhutan, we are expecting a special retreat.

The other big relief being sorting out transfers and guide bookings, as Aman is offering us an all inclusive package. Just that we need to sort out our flights flying in and out of India.

Thanks for all your help again, much appreciated!

Kathie Aug 19th, 2016 08:39 AM

Greg, do you mind sharing how much a week of Amans in Bhutan costs now?

BTW, even if you simply contacted a local agency in Bhutan, you would get an all-inclusive package with all guides and transport, airport transfer, etc. just not Aman hotels.

GregRitmo Aug 22nd, 2016 03:50 AM

We are offered $1880 per night for a double room which includes stay with all meals, a guide,an aircon luxury vehicle and visits.This is for our 7 nights stay

I have not paid them yet though they have requested for half of the payment upfront. Have told them that the latest I can pay them is by the end of next month.

Do you have any recommendations of decent mid size tour companies there? would not hesitate to travel traditionally

Kathie Aug 22nd, 2016 07:29 AM

There are plenty of good Bhutanese companies - there have to be since you are required to book with a local company (Aman uses its own, of course). Friends of mine used Snow White and thought they were wonderful. You might look at all of the recent Bhutan trip reports for more ideas. Go to the top of the page and choose view by country then choose Bhutan. Look at all of the trip reports.

Bhutan is a pricey destination, as the country sets a minimum fee of something like $280 per night per person. All companies set you up with transport, a guide, hotels and food. While people call that pricey, it looks downright cheap in contrast to the Aman package at $1180 per night for a couple.

Basically, there is no way to travel independently in Bhutan.

CaliNurse Aug 22nd, 2016 09:45 AM

Greg, is the $1180/night Aman price per person or per couple?

(Also, going back to your India report, do you recall the name of the place where you stayed in Munnar?)

Thanks--and have fun as you contemplate your next trip!

GregRitmo Aug 23rd, 2016 05:13 AM

Kathie thanks for your inputs and the details you shared. I would go through the forums and will get back after finding someone reliable enough and I am sure you will be there to guide further. Thank you again!!

Calinurse yes $1180 is for both of us, to be paid on per night calculations. Have just shared my views on the Munnar estate hotel on India forum, how this would help you

GregRitmo Sep 15th, 2016 03:44 AM

Hello everyone

so we are booked up for this retreat
have considered Norbhu Bhutan http://norbubhutan.com/ as they come highly recommended from a friend of my colleague who used them last year for their family of 4.

They are offering us an all inclusive deal of $1650 per night for the same journey and inclusions (somewhat more), which I assume is better than what we received from Aman.

Any inputs would be welcome

Greg

Kathie Sep 15th, 2016 07:40 AM

So Norbhutan is offering you a week-long stay at Amans plus transport and guides for almost $500 a night more then the Aman trip? And you feel this is a better deal than dealing with the Aman directly?

What am I missing?

lcuy Sep 16th, 2016 08:39 PM

The Zecha family recently sold the Aman chain to a Russian inverts. I'm curious how this is going to affect the resorts.

lcuy Sep 16th, 2016 09:09 PM

A Russian investor. It was tied up in litigation for the last two years, but the ownership appears to be settled now.