My name is Lee Carlton, and I just wanted to share a little insight into our school's recent trip to Bhutan. The high school that I work for, THINK Global School, holds classes in three different countries each year, and this year a visit to Bhutan for our two week intersession was one of them. For those who have had the privilege to visit, or for those who are wondering whether they should, I can safely say that this was one of our students' favorite trips to date.
Bhutan's simple way of life and gorgeous landscapes definitely struck a chord with everyone that went. The concept of Gross National Happiness (GNH) was a focus of the trip, and the students definitely gained a deeper understanding of it by the end. The trip began in the capital city of Thimphu. From there we progressed throughout the country, visiting the Phobjika Valley and the Bhumtang region.
For those who are considering going, we recommend checking out:
-The 108 stupas at the Dochu Pass are a sight to behold, and the Himalayas behind them are simply stunning. The pass is located just outside Thimphu, so very easy to get to.
-The dzongs! Bhutan's dzongs are full of history, and we had the opportunity to visit several while there, including ones in Thimphu, Trongsa and Punakha. While visiting the Punakha Dzong we took a rafting trip down the Mo Chhu river, which is also recommended. The final dzong we visited, the Tiger's Nest Monastery, might be the grandest of all, and is well worth the trip.
-We took a flight over Bhutan's Phobjikha glacial valley which was simply breathtaking. This is also a fantastic place to bird watch, as the cranes are among the rarest in the world.
I'm glad I could share some details from the trip, and I hope this info is useful. We've shared our students' photos, videos and writings from our trip which you can find here: http://spot.thinkglobalschool.com/tagdashboar...
Hope you enjoy what we came up with, and we'd love to answer any questions you might have regarding Bhutan. Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 [email protected] ! Passwords Reset Contact $ 1800~570~1233 $ Tec*h
- 2 [email protected] ! Passwords Reset Contact $ 1800~570~1233 $ Tec*h
- 3 Anti Malarial tablets in SE Asia
- 4 Best guidebooks for SE Asia
- 5 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 6 Hotel in Vang Vieng
- 7 Using a Starling Bank card in SE Asia
- 8 Internet in SE Asia
- 9 Japan in July with 20 year old
- 10 need your help with japan itinerary
- 11 A comprehensive guide for tourists visiting North Goa
- 12 4 DAYS in KERALA...
- 13 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 14 Vietnam, Cambodia & Hong Kong - Fall 2017 Trip Report
- 15 cooking school in Chiang Mai?
- 16 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan
- 17 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 18 VN + Japan 6 wks March/April - which order?
- 19 Travel options from Negombo to Mirissa
- 20 Family trip to Thailand for Christmas and possibly New year
- 21 Skiing in Japan - need advice
- 22 MUMBAI FOR TWO DAYS
- 23 best way to spend two days in Chiang Mai
- 24 Vietnam April 5 - 16
- 25 Trip to India Feb 1-18