Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Family trip to Thailand: BKK, Koh Chang, Koh Kood

Old Jan 15th, 2016, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family (2 adults + 2 children ages 6 and 11) are planning our FIRST trip to Thailand from March 18-28, 2016 and I would love feedback. We love comfort but also authentic places and experiences.

We are planning 3 nights BKK (hotel Grand Swiss Sukhumvit?), then Koh Chang for 3 nights (The Dewa or Panviman Ko Chang Resort or The Emerald Cove or Chivapuri Beach Resort) then Koh Kood 3 nights (Bann Makok) then last night BKK (Metropolitan Hotel).

BKK: We know it will be hot. We will book a tour with BKK Tour for one day in Bangkok to hit major sites and canal trip. Can anyone recommend another good private guide (probably not Tang, as per comments on Forum) OR fun idea with kids (I have read about CoVanKessel and Grasshopper Adventures but not particularly keen on biking in BKK in the blazing heat and traffic) for our additional two days?

BKK shopping: SJ International (yes, I love Kathie's recommendations and NO, I have not yet told my husband that this is our first stop ); Jim Thompson, Paragon Mall, JJ Weekend market (I bought the Nancy Chandler map already). Anything else to recommend?

Koh Chang and Koh Kood: in March these islands seem like a good choice for weather, sea conditions and a good mix of activities and beach tranquility. Thoughts?

For transfers: we are thinking AOT Limousine Service from BKK airport to hotel OR Airport Rail Link Phaya Thai Express Line? For drive to islands from BKK, we are thinking of using iamkohchang.com: thoughts?

Any and all suggestions for favorite restaurants and activities in BKK, Koh Chang and Koh Kood welcome and appreciated!
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 07:03 AM

I recommend staying along the river rather than along Sukhumvit in Bangkok. It is much more pleasant, less hot.less polluted along the river. And the proximity to the river boats for quick and easy transport to the major wats is another plus.

I've never used a tour in Bangkok - I prefer going on my own, so I'm not much help to you on that question. Indeed, consider whether you need a tour. often, a tour means a car and driver and being stuck in traffic. If you are going to do a tour, find a guide who will use public transport - it will be faster and more efficient and you will then feel confident about using the skytrain and water taxis on your own.

Use AOT (or another car service - I use ACC) to get to your hotel. The rail link will still require a taxi in Bangkok.

I think you already have a list that will fill your time in Bangkok!
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 02:13 PM

At MBK Mall to your shopping places. It is a unique experience. It is located at the National Stadium sky train stop.

If you have time, splurge and go see a movie at one of the gold class theaters. It's a real treat! Seats are comfy recliners (about 30-40 seats in the theater), with blankets and pillows and pop corn. We just saw the new Star Wars movie at the theater at Central Embassy Mall. Paragon Mall also has these fabulous theaters. Your hotel is just around the corner from the Central Embassy Mall, so a short walk to see a movie. Shopping there is high end. Lots of restaurant choices too. (TIP: Just before the movie starts, they will play a tribute to the King. EVERYONE must stand up for this tribute.)

I agree with taking the sky train, subway and boats to get around. Taxis in Bangkok are cheap, but they often sit still in traffic, depending on time of day. You are close to the Phloenchit sky train station from your hotel. A short walk.

I have no advice on your island visits as I've only been to Koh Samui, Phi Phi and Phuket.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 02:16 PM

My mistake!! I just looked at your hotel, and I had it mixed up with the Swiss Nailert Hotel. Sorry...

But your location on Sukhumvit soi 11 is also handy to the sky train station at NANA. There is good food on soi 8, which is just the other side of Sukhumvit from soi 11, at either Via Vai (Italian) and Monsoon (variety menu, Thai/western). And these places are priced reasonably for a family of 4.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Kathie and simpsonc510 for the suggestions! Yes: we never usually do tours but with so little time, we will give it a try. I was recommended Bkk tour because we can book private for our family and they recommend public transport, etc (agreed: do not want to spend our time stuck in traffic). Love the movie idea and great ideas for food!
Kathie: do you have a hotel to recommend on the river (with pool, as per kids' request)?
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 10:47 PM

A long time since I have been to Koh Chang but were were there at that time of year and the weather was pretty good as I recall (although it will be just as good on the Andaman coast as well) . We stayed at a couple of places on Koh Chang, one of which was the Emerald Cove which was a really nice hotel set in its own grounds. We had moved from another place ( can't recall the name) because it was on the busy beach road ( white beach I think) and very noisy.

We rented a car and drove ourselves to Koh Chang but that was part of a longer drive around the country. You can fly to Trat but a car from Bangkok will probably cost less and take less time in total than flying. Either way, or indeed by train, you will need to get transport to the ferry terminal for the boat to the island. It is a bit of a convoluted journey to get there. A bit of an adventure for the children but somewhere on the Andaman coast, maybe Khao Lak, would probably be less complicated and time consuming.

A word of warning re SJ Int, whilst they do offer excellent value for money, my wife bought a ring from them and the stone became loose after a year or so. When she took it in for repair, the jeweller advised her that the stone was set, not with platinum as would normally be the case, but with white gold which is a lot softer and consequently can wear or get caught easily and is not generally used for settings, at least not here in the UK. It may be worth asking the question if you are buying jewellery set with gemstones.

I pretty much agree with the above comments re staying on the river. Having stayed at most places along the river, I would probably go for the Ananatara Riverside. A large resort type hotel, a 15 minute boat shuttle to Saphin Taksin pier where ypu can get ferries and sky train to elsewhere in the city. Less stuffy than some other places on th river, a great pool, enormous breakfast buffet and the boat shuttle is a very pleasant way to start and end the day. Also close to the Asiatique centre across the river - there is a hotel shuttle boat there too.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you crellston. I will look into Anantara Riverside.

We will drive from Bangkok to Trat then ferry. Even though it is long, we think it is a good way to see some countryside on this trip (and our kids are good travelers). We will probably get a car service/minivan to take us (maybe booked through iamkohchang.com). Yes, Emerald Cove looks good. Today, I will do some research on some alternatives (more "thai"/ less resort like Bangbao Beach Resort).

Any and all comments welcome!
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 07:18 AM

Avatar River side and Sheraton Royal Orchid are my recommendations for river properties with good pools.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie!
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 12:22 PM

oops - auto correct does funny things - That's Anantara Riverside.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 11:48 PM

Kathie, I was going to add that I didn't see too many blue aliens sunbathing around the pool!