Backless sandals in Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read in a guide book that backless sandals are not appropriate for Thailand. Do they mean slides or sandals that just have a back strap on them? I understand the appropriate attire for temples (covering arms and legs) but what's the rule about shoes? Thanks in advance for any information.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:16 PM

The only place where backless shoes or backless sandals are not ok is at the Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha complex in Bangkok. At the entrance to the complex, you'll see a sign indicating what is not allowed, and backless shoes or sandals are one of the items, along with shorts and sleeveless tops. Elsewhere in Thailand backless shoes or sandals are ok.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Kathie is absolutely right, the rules for the Grand Palace are specific.

As long as you appreciate when visitng other temples around the country that they 'are' temples common sense really should apply. As to footwear when visiting temples elsewhere footwear is removed when entering any inside temple area but as far as the temple grounds are concerned there is no ruling, the etiquette though is conservative dress. Considor that rubber flip-flops are the most used form of footwear in the whole country and when visiting our local temples and other temples around the country this is normal. The Monks themselves wear rubber flip flops both outside and inside temple grounds, these are removed when entering any 'inside' area.
Just as a PS Buddhist temples welcome 'everyone' so if it is your anniversary or birthday you are welcome with your loved one/s to visit any temple for a blessing ( gifts should be given ), if anyone wants to know how to do this I will gladly advise.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 03:34 AM

JamesA: I'd like to know more about offering gifts to the monks, requesting a blessing (can women do this?) and how does a falang female offer alms when the monks walk through a town in the morning (thinking of LP spedifically.) as well as anything else. can't seem to find the Monk Eitquette book for Dummies. thank you
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:00 AM

I will try to make this as simple as possible:-

Firstly, you simply 'must' have a Thai person with you otherwise you will be 'lost'. If you are staying in a small hotels/B&B/Guesthouse then simply tell the staff that you would like to go to a temple to have a blessing, whether Birthday, Anniversary, or a Blessing for you and your 'partner'. Be straight up about it, tell them that if they can arrange for someone to come with you you will give an offering for them. You really do need to enlist thr assistance. If you ahve a guide sure they will take care, otherwise though approach Thai staff, in Bangkok this won't be so easy but in smaller locations and LP it won't be a problem.

What happens is around Thailand and I guess Laos too there are shps that prepare 'Gift baskets', thes ein Thailand are almost always inorange colored pales(buckets). First you but one of these. The next thing you do is put some money in a plain envelope (white ), B 500($12) is sufficient.

The person who you have 'charmed' into accompanying you will guide you, it's easy but just floow their lead.
This is all done before 11 am to 9/9.30 is a good time. Monks sit in open areas within the compound where they give blessings. You walk towards this area, there are mats. You remove your shoes and sit on the mats, legs under if you can manage or to one side is fine but make sure your feet are not pointing towards anyone, look around, you will get the idea.
Your Thai 'guide' will then guide you to light incense sticks, watch others, light the incesne, kneel down, place between your hand in normal 'prayer' fashion, bow head, close eyes, pray in silence, a moment or 2 and place the incense stick in the receptial. Return to where you were.
When it is your tuen yoy will move 'low' to sit in front of the monks, again, you need to have the Thai/Loas person in order to 'follow' their guidance. prayers are said as you sit with your hands in prayer fashion. if it is your birthday or a blessing then 'yarn' may be tied between you and then around your wrist.

It takes a few minites.

In order not to have a total 'faux pas' you really must have a Thai/Laos person with you.

The Monks are 'human', although you don't want to do anything wrong the whole nature of Buddhism is founded upon non judgemental/forgiveness, no one is going to pounce on you, the Monks and those people around are fully aware that you would not know the ins and outs, so don't be nervous.

I have had Monks crack jokes when they came to Bless our house and the dogs caused chaos, they are human and natural, not stuck up or beyond approach.

Now for giving food to monks at sunrise: In every town the Monks walk around sunrise or shortly thereabouts vcollecting food. Street stalls appear for this sole purpose. It is rice and other food but you buy it from these sellers, in little plastic bags. You will see other people as the Monks approach remove their flip flops/shoes and squat down, holding the food offering in their hands. As the monks approach in front you bow your head and place the food with 'both hands' into the bol. Immediately place your hands together in front of your face and bow your head. The Monk will then say prayers and then move on. This you can manage alone as long as there are local people on the street doing the same.

For the blessing in the temple try and find a friendly sole to help. You might not find that easy if staing in a big town/hotel. If you get stuck look out for the Orange pales, put the money in an envelope, head towards a local temple and smile, that smile which says what you need it to say, almost certainly a Thai will approach. if doing it on your own this way you 'must' at least get the hotel reception to write in Thai what Blessing is for, e.g Birthday, for which one of you, how old you are, your names, same really for anniversary. if you are just wanting to re-affirm your commitment tyo eachother same thing, include names.
This piece of paper is simply handed to the monk by the Thai?lao person on your behalf.

That' about the best I can say. Correct that a woman never touches a monk so you need a 'guy' with you.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:05 AM

My tpos are appaling!

Just to add, giving food to the monks in the mornings woman can do on their own, no problem, do it in an area where the food stalls have been set up for that purpose, look for a smiling Thai/Loa, the fact you have the food bags they know what you are there for, smile and they will gesture to you so you can sit near them, a smile is all that is needed for them to understand, they will guide you.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Great information! Thanks!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 03:31 PM

JamesA: thank you, thank you...typed with bowed head. my teenage daughter has been living outside of CM for the past 3 months and it is she that I am meeting. She will be taking me back to "her" village to meet her Thai family, teachers, etc. I know there is a monestary nearby as she has written about the bowls of food left each day by the monks near a river bank so people can feed the fish (and leave some coins). It seems like this might be the "place' to ask for a blessing as my heart is quite full of gratitude towards the people who have welcomed her so warmly and openly. So, no 'guys' with us, but many smiles within. I appreciate the time you've taken to explain all of this. Also, we will be in LP and from what I read, the monks will be walking almost right by our GH room. thanks, again. Jan
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:17 AM

Back to the shoe question. Are teva sandals with a back stap behind the heel ok or do I need to pack a separate pair of shoes just for this temple?
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:35 AM

For the grand palace, you need shoes. No sandals - whole foot must be covered. I saw a young girl wearing socks with Teyvas and she was asked to get in line as well. And your pants or skirt have to cover the ankles. I was wearing capri pants which was just 1 1/2 inches higher than my ankles and i had to get on line to get a sarong. But as we were going around, I saw others who were allowed to have capri pants as short as mine without a sarong. I guess it depends how strict the guard is at the gate. But they are strict with the shoes.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Sorry, but I'm still confused. If one wears a pair of socks with sandals so that the feet are covered - is that ok? I'm not sure what you meant about the girl being asked to get in line.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:39 AM

No-- socks don't count.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:48 PM

Sorry about that. Gloria is corrrect. You have to wear closed shoes. Some people wear socks because they think covered feet is good enough. But it is not. There is a rental room at the entrance of the Grand Palace where people can rent shoes or sarongs or other clothing items they need to be properly attired. You leave your drivers license or 100 Bhat as you check out your item of clothing and this deposit will be returned to you when you return the items you got.