Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Bhutan and tiger's nest (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/bhutan-and-tigers-nest-448116/)

Stainless Oct 24th, 2008 04:37 PM

Bhutan and tiger's nest

I posted this inquiry in the Bhutan area, but not too many people looking at that. I'm going to Bhutan and India next year with OAT. In their brochure they say it's a 90 minute hike. I have read other blogs that say it's a 4 hour hike! Does anyone that has been on the OAT trip know if OAT takes you by vehicle most of the way? or is their hiking time for an 18 yo in great shape?

Thanks

thursdaysd Oct 24th, 2008 06:53 PM

Some years back it took 4 hours. After the fire a road was run closer to make it easier to get supplies in for the rebuilding. When I went in '01 I think it was closer to 90 minutes. I didn't go with OAT, though.

Jed Oct 25th, 2008 06:59 AM

FYI - It doesn't matter which country you choose, as all the posts on the Asia forum are posted for all to see. Take a look. Your 'Tigers Nest' post is here. ((*))

stephenmat Oct 26th, 2008 06:49 PM

give yourself a few hours round trip. You can relax along the way. also depends on how fast you walk. you won't be disappointed !

Robbietravels Oct 27th, 2008 09:15 PM

Any Bhutanese worth his or her yak can climb it in 60-90 minutes. Remember, they have been walking, hiking and climbing at altitudes over 9,000 ft since they could walk.
My husband and I did an independent trip through Snow White Treks and Tours; they hired donkeys for us and we rode part of the way. When the climb got too steep the donkeys stood motionless .... waiting for us to dismount.
The animals spared us at least 45 minutes of hiking. Then we hiked another hour or so I'd say. When we got to what we thought was the top, our guide showed us that we would have to descend about 300 feet (as I recall), cross a gorge (that is not visible from the lower elevations), then climb up the other side to reach TN and then take the return trip.
If we were younger and had no asthma or heart condition we no doubt would have done it all (the fact that I do the treadmill 5 days a week at 15 elevation and speed of 3.9 ) was no preparation for this hike.
The views across the gorge looking at TN at eye level were superb. We sat there in awe for quite a while. I think this outing, including lunch at the Cafeteria, took us about 5 hours, door to door.

Chicago_Heather Oct 28th, 2008 06:07 AM

Stainless, in case you don't have enough feedback, I'm hiking it next week and will be reporting back on how long it takes a 40-year-old in good shape to hike it.

stephenmat Oct 28th, 2008 06:31 PM

ok thats sounds probably better. 4 to 5 hours should be plenty. and yes it is a good hike and i'm in great shape, but well worth it ....

migae Oct 14th, 2009 09:17 PM

Hello sir this might reach you late but your taksang hike will take you 3 hours from the road point.