beware of fake tour agencies!

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beware of fake tour agencies!

i recent just got back from a visit to hanoi, halong bay cat ba, danag, hoi an & hcmc...i thought that i was booking from a reputatble trvel company and only to find out that it was a fake...the sinh cafe is very well known for their great tour packages...they are situated everywhere in vietnam...i was told by a very good friend to use them as my tour agent...so off i go and i found the sign which says sinh cafe...he assurd that they were who they say they were...but one thing after the next i knew i had been had when i was not staying at the 4* resort...i was not sitting in first class on the airline, which he booked etc...just buyer beware...ask for the pricing with the printed pricing...yes there is such a thing...the one place not to book from is called sinh cafe hotel 37 quan thanh and definately do not stay at the funky monkey hotel or the lady eden which is using the same address next to each other...buyer beware...
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 02:32 AM

Such companies are a menace. When I arrived in Peru several years ago, there was a booth for travel agent INKA WASI on the way out of Lima airport and instead of doing everything myself I decided to book my whole trip with them, thinking everything would be laid on and worry free.

It was a nightmare, with being checked into a cheap guest house having paid for quality hotels and having to move at my own cost to another hotel because the bedding stunk of mildew.

I nearly missed connections thanks to them, including just catching a one a day bus out of a tiny town up north which would have left me stuck there another 24 hours. I nearly got stuck in Cuzco too and would have lost a connecting flight from Lima.

It was one worry on top of another and I paid well for the privilege.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Note than there are not the intellectual property laws in VN that there are elsewhere. So if a Prince Hotel gets good press, many other Prince hotels will spring up. Likewise for Sinh Cafe, Handspan, etc, etc.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Vietnam is full of fake companies that simply adopt the name of the original company. I found it was wise to use Lonely Planet to check the address of the genuine company, and then compare addresses on the internet.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

thanks guys, i am relieved that i am not the only one...but reading the lonely planet there are serveral sinh cafe's around and they had the same window signs etc...
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:25 AM

luv2cook2, yes, the varous "fake" agencies do an excellent job of duplicating signs, etc. Note that the "fake" agencies do book travel and accommodation for you, but not of the quality you had hoped for/been promised.

By the way, if you are flying out of Hanoi airport, take a few minutes to look at the duty-free liquor. You'll find expensive scotches and XO Cognac at pretty good prices... until you look carefully at the print on teh bottles and start finding the typos... buyer beware.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 07:29 PM

hi
Has a real Sinh Cafe before. Sinh Cafe - Open tour the first is a small travel office to sale and organize tour for tourist which is packbacker or a budget, want to join with group- call tour open so the price is cheaper than private tour. Then this brand is well known, has alot of travel office paste the name Sinh Cafe-Open tour. Until now they are small office and some mini hotels, guest houses that selling joining tour . They is located in old quarter of Hanoi.
With the low price, they can't server high quality service. So the tourists should choose the travel agencies carefully for fit their favour.