COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Best wishes to all our friends in Asia

Old Mar 16th, 2020, 05:20 PM
kja
Original Poster

Best wishes to all our friends in Asia

As many of us mourn delayed or cancelled vacations, I'm sure we all also want to reach out to our friends in Asia with our best wishes for their well being during these unusually trying times. I think that message has been evident in many of the coronavirus threads, but thought maybe it was time for a thread just to send our thoughts to those of our community who are based in Asia.

Thinking of you and wishing you well!
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 05:49 PM

Life is good here in Chiang Mai. At least for today. Have heard that hot weather will dampen the virus, so i expect life will continue acceptable here; today's temp near 40*C (100F).
If the most you need to 'mourn' is your holiday, you are very fortunate.
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 05:53 PM

kja - Have you definitely cancelled your May trip to Laos and Cambodia, or are you waiting awhile to make a decision? Wishing you the best here from So Cal.
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 05:56 PM

I just heard from friends in South Korea. They are on base and it has been a challenge but they are doing ok. They try and go get take out from the little places outside the gate to help them out but for the most part have been shopping on base. They had none of the hoarding that they are reading about here. They all got one carton of lysol wipes per id card. They didn't have chicken for a while but now back and have not had school for four weeks. Cancelled visits from family have been the hardest part. The military has kept them really safe and healthy so bravo for that.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 01:48 PM

I'm in the process of cancelling our trip to Bangkok and Vietnam that is set to begin in 9 days. It sucks. Asia seems to have the virus under control but the loss of tourism money has to be hurting. I wish our Asian friends and friends based in Asia the best. And fear not, we fully plan on coming when this sh!tshow is over. I'm hoping for sometime between September and November.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 03:59 PM
kja
Original Poster

@ jobin: It's good to know that you are OK. And you are right -- any of us who mourn cancelled travel plans are very fortunate. I know I am! To be honest, I was just trying to shift the focus from complaints to well wishes. Guess that didn't work so well.

@ CaliforniaLady: Thanks for asking about my trip! I haven't officially cancelled -- I'm waiting for a CDC warning, which will activate my full-coverage insurance. But in my mind, yes, I've reconciled to skipping this trip for now. I just can't imagine placing anyone at risk for a completely selfish purpose. I enjoyed planning that trip, and with luck, will take it in the future.

@ Macross: Thanks for the update on our troops and their families in South Korea -- I'm glad they are being kept safe.

@ laurieco: Good luck.

Continued good wishes to everyone.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 07:39 PM

Kja, sadly, I expect you will have to cancel your trip. Actually, I prefer to think of it as postponing your trip.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 07:54 PM
kja
Original Poster

@ Kathie -- That's exactly how I'm viewing it -- a postponement. I'm so lucky that I'm not among those stranded somewhere! I hope you are safe and well, Kathie, and thanks for chiming in -- that made me smile.