Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Best ways to fly into Laos from California?

Old Jul 12th, 2021, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of doing from LA, to Taiwan, spending 5 days in Taiwan, and then flying to ,Laos and doing 10 days in Laos, back to Taiwan, back to LA.

But upon quick search, seem no cheap Taiwan to Laos.

If not, coming from LA, what are the cheap RT option from other countries? Thanks.

I'd never seen Taiwan, so I thought be a good idea.
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 12:01 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
So by "best" you mean cheapest? I've flown to/from both Luang Prabang & Vientiane via BKK. I'm guessing Bangkok from CA may be among the cheapest options in normal times. This isn't normal times though so you'll have to do some work.

Many of us here use Matrix - ITA Software by Google to check prices then book on the airline sites that look promising. It can be a process, though, connecting lowest prices shown with availability in your time frame.
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

So no Taiwan for normal RT (yes cheap) rates into Laos...... ? Thanks. Maybe Thailand one of few ways in? or Vietnam...
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 12:59 PM

I would do a search for a 15-18 day trip from LAX to VTE (Vientiane) (would use matrix.itasoftware dot com) to find out what a good price would be for the simple roundtrip. Look at the connecting cities for that trip and then do a multi-city search using the same dates as that roundtrip but add in a stopover at the connecting city.

That is, look for a fare for a roundtrip with an enroute stopover. I've seen fare rules might allow such a stopover fpr $100 more.

That search probably would exclude regional low cost carriers (if any survived covid) that serve VTE or LPQ.

If I were to book two tickets as you suggested: 15 day roundtrip LAX to Taipei on one ticket and nested TPE-Laos-TPE 10-day trip then I would want to spend a night in Taipei before flying to LAX. That is, I would not want to book Laos-TPE-LAX on the same day using two tix,.

Good luck finding a decent fare,
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Mr
thanks makes sense, I would actually stay 4-5 days Taiwan

That said I did what you said, used the Google link and says no flight found.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 10:27 AM

By Google, I think you meant Matrix - ITA Software by Google
Using the calendar search, you would have to build an itinerary out of one-ways. Put USD in the Currency box,.

To get to Laos it looks like you would have to fly from Seoul (ICN) to Vientiane (VTE). Lao Airlines might be the only carrier for that route. Flights from other Asian cities all seem to connect at ICN. If you want to fly to LP then you would have to connect at VTE.

Those VTE flights are rare. From July 14 through August the only available dates are July 16 and July 30.

There are daily flight from LAX to ICN. Suppose that flying into VTE on the 30th was acceptable and you wanted to stay in Seoul for 4-5 days. You back out your LAX to ICN flight from the 30th. Say July 24th.

So now you have a multi-city trip on the outbound leg. dep LAX on the 24th and ICN on the 30th. So now you do a calendar search for the inbound leg, VTE to LAX. The only date for that now through August is July 15. That won't work. You would have to build the return using one ways.

VTE to ICN has nothing so I tried VTE to HKG and found August 10 China Eastern has flights from VTE (so my guess was wrong about Lao being the only airline serving VTE), It would be depart VTE with stops in Kunming and Chengdu on the way to Hong Kong,

Multi-city search:
LAX - ICN on Jul 24
ICN - VTE on Jul 30
VTE - HKG on Aug 10
HKG - LAX on Aug 10 Or day after
VTE to HKG is overnight arrives the 11th and later that day fly to LAX

That meets your lengths of stay. You probably don't like those dates and you won't like the $7,400+ price.

If you have FF miles then maybe you can use them for the VTE flights. For example, an inexpensive roundtrip LAX-TPE-LAX and then an award for the expensive part, TPE-VTE-TPE.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 10:37 AM

Starting over: find out what airlines serve VTE and LPQ and what their schedules are. Work from there. Or just choose a different destination.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 01:11 PM

Hi Kevs 1. To be blunt, I would save yourself a lot of time and frustration and give up on the idea of trying to combine Laos and Taiwan in one trip. Even in normal times Laos has always been a backwater as far as international flights are concerned. The “usual” way to get there has always been via one of the main regional hubs like Bangkok, KL, Hanoi or Saigon and thoseflightsthat do go there have always been disproportionately expensive. I have visited Lao several times over the last 30 odd years have usually chosen to get there by the more interesting routes overland or by river from Thailand , Cambodia or Northern Vietnam. Ten days is just not enough time to do that.

In your position I would choose one or the other. Both counters are pretty amazing and they would make a nice contrast but not at the expense of spending a couple of days at least, in transit. Travel in Laos takes way longer than the countrys size would suggest as the travel infrastructure , though improving is still very basic in many parts of the country. With !5 Days you could consider the north and south of the country but the north is arguably the more beautiful.

Taiwan is the polar opposite with one of the best travel infrastructures in Asia outside of Japan. it is a small country and you could see a tremendous amount in 10-15 days. Taipei alone is worth % days min . We spent a week there a few years ago and were really sad to leave as there was so much else we want to see and do PS The food there is AMAZING!

These days I would be very wary of booking flights to anywhere that requires transit thorough another country for the very obvious reason. I can see these countries lifting their requirements for testing, quarantine etc. this year or perhaps even next year. at least stick with one country you are reducing the potential for things to go wrong by at least 50%.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Crel, great post thanks!

Ok I was planning a dec-Jan trip to S. Africa and then someone pointed out Covid, so I'll do that next year.

I did a 3 week trip to Vietnam few years ago and was thinking a solo Loas / Cambodia trip. I thought 2-3 weeks for both would be fine?

And Taiwan also never been....

That said, seem Laos is Kaput then for this Dec. How is Taiwan for Dec/ Jan?

I assume being like a big Hong Kong, 5 days is enough, but for a solo guy trip... maybe then 7-9 days...? Is Taiwan that interesting? Much more intrigued by Cambodia/ Loas, Vietnam,.. just thinking of Taiwan as a place to see few days on the way to those types...
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 04:27 PM

May i say OP that you need a bit more current information about travel to Asia. Many places here, countries and cities, are in various stages of lockdown, quarantine and total exclusion of outsiders. You will not get into Hong Kong, will get immediate quarantine in Bangkok, probably denied entry into Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.
These Covid rules can be set forth at 6pm with immediate effect and if you arrive at 7pm, too bad for you. You might get 2/3 weeks mandatory high-priced hotel, locked in your room accommodation at your expense.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 09:03 PM

>> I thought 2-3 weeks for both would be fine?

Sure, it is. If that is the time you have then that is better than not going. But it is not normal times, as jobin well explained.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 10:32 PM

You are very welcome, keys1.

Yes, I suppose you could view Taiwan as a stopover for a few days on the way to somewhere else. This is pretty much what we did. We were on a six month trip through Asia to visit family in Australia and manage to end up with a spare week so on a whim we got flights there before continuing the journey. As I said I regretted not spending longer and will return for a longer stay as soon as Asia opens up to travellers to some degree of normality. We spent 5 nights in Taipei and 2 in Hualien & Taraoko gorge. Details an photos can be forum on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/taiwan/ we didn’t even scratch the surface! As to when to go? The weather systems on the island are complex so do check out the good times to go. Different parts of the island get different weather at different times I THINK it is good in Dec/Jan but do check it out - we were there in July when it was VERY hot but clear blue skies.

Personally, I wouldn’t even consider travelling anywhere in Asia (or elsewhere for that matter) this year. As has been pointed out but jobin above, Covid restrictions on travel will, at the very least take the shine off of travel at present and, in many places, make it next to impossible. Vietnam wont be open to travellers this year and it is unlikely next year either. Taiwan COULD be but I believe quarantine restriction could be in place. We have been travelling more or less continually since 2008 until 2020 when we were in Japan at the start of the pandemic and would dearly love to get back on the road but that is not likely to happen until late 2022 at the latest.

I know from American friends that viewpoint there on travel is very different and we in the U.K. we are in the process of relaxing travel restrictions ( though few think it is a sensible idea with infections on the rise again.) . To an extent that is only part of the equation. Of equal or greater importance are the restrictions in the countries we plan to visit.

Hope for the best but plan for the worst is a good maxim for travel in these time.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Crell thanks again, great post. Ok finally get it. My S. Africa trip is postponed until same time next year, hopefully, and Asia is kaput for now.

For Taiwan, yeah, I always saw it as a place especially if it was already offered, as part of a one stop to a more interesting place.. I think it was the stop on way to Vietnam few years ago. Now I had a future trip in Cambodia/ Loas, in mind, but maybe Taiwan is not part of that mix... oh well. I never considered just doing a Taiwan only trip... Anyway, so for this Dec, looks like it'll be Arizona and New Mexico! (maybe Hawaii, if my buddy changes him mind) NIce Blog!
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 11:15 AM

Cambodia (Phom Penh PNH) is easier to fly to than Laos, even now. Assuming they would let you in to Taiwan and Cambodia.

Just for fun, here is an itinerary for you, using the EVA Airlines website:
Aug 6 LAX-TPE
Aug 11 TPE-PNH
Aug 22 PNH - TPE - LAX
Ticket price is $1739

Instead of that maybe just a visit to Taiwan:
Aug 6 LAX-TPE
Aug 22 TPE- LAX
Ticket price is $2007
So the stopover and going on to PNH saves you $268

Instead of that maybe just a visit to Cambodia on connecting flights::
Aug 6 LAX-TPE-PNH