Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Best way to travel from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/best-way-to-travel-from-singapore-to-kuala-lumpur-474693/)

goingtobeijing Sep 16th, 2004 03:00 PM

Best way to travel from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur

Should I fly, take the train or a bus. What is the best way to travel from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, we will be in Singapore for 1 week and would like to visit Malaysia if possible. Thanks.

murff Sep 16th, 2004 05:34 PM

I would suggest you take an express coach. It takes about 4.5 hours and cost between SGD$50-$90 return depending on the level of luxury of the coach.

kuranosuke Sep 16th, 2004 05:45 PM

to save even more money, take the train from sing to jahor baru(malaysia), then buy another train tckt to kl. should be a cheaper fare, and better exchange rate.

dlh Sep 16th, 2004 06:22 PM

If your budget allows, and with such a short time in Singapore I would vote to fly. The flight is only an hour and would optimise your time in KL. Having said that, the drive to KL from Singapore is lovely and gives you a better sense of having seen Malaysia. As murff mentioned there are great executive express coach buses that are very comfortable and even offer videos to watch to help pass the time. (Check out Cicerone's list of bus services on another post - it is quite comprehensive) operating several times a day between Singapore and KL. Going to KL by bus and returning by plane might be an idea as well. Either way - you are going to enjoy both Singapore and Malaysia. Have a great holiday!

Guenmai Sep 16th, 2004 06:50 PM

FLY! It's only about 45 minutes. Happy Travels!

murff Sep 16th, 2004 07:29 PM

flying seems quick and easy but bear in mind the time you need for boarding and clearing immigration at the airports. The journey from KL airport to the city alone takes 1.5 hours. I wouldn't suggest taking the train 'cos it is never on time and takes a whole lot longer than riding the coach. hope this helps.

orgy7 Sep 16th, 2004 07:39 PM

the sleeper train good leaves at about 11PM and arives around 9AM. (please check latest schedual)

check ariasia or tiger air for low cost airfare...

dlh Sep 16th, 2004 08:19 PM

Sorry, one more note- murff is absolutely correct. KLIA is about 1 - 1 1/2 hours from central KL. Malaysia Air and SQ flights last about 55 minutes and with clearing and boarding times this could easily equal the travel time on the bus. When we travel to KL as a family for an overnight we usually drive which is the shortest option IMO. However, my husband travels frequently to KL to attend business meetings for the day and he feels it is much easier to fly. For this reason, I was thinking more along the lines of a daytrip to KL for goingtobeijing. In which case flying might be the best option with regard to timing (what do you think murff and others?). Malaysia Air has AM flights that leave S'pore at 6:50am arriving at 7:45am and also at 10:05am arriving KL at 11:00am. Return flight are at 7:20pm arriving S'pore at 8:15pm and at 11:15pm arriving S'pore at 12:10am. I don't know what the bus times are but murff can probably give you a good idea of the bus timing. Checking those would probably give you the clearest idea which way you would like to travel for time efficiency and whether you should take a daytrip or an overnight. murff may also be able to give you a better idea of which (day, overnight, or both)type of trip would be the best length of time for your trip to KL given your time in S'pore. Your budget may also be a factor and in that case you really can't beat the bus for value. I haven't flown on the new AsiaAir and I don't know if they have initited flights to/from S'pore yet but I have heard they have great rates! Enjoy!!

murff Sep 16th, 2004 10:39 PM

I think coaches leave SIN about 3 times a day (6:30am, 2pm and 7pm). You need to check with the travel companies. There are quite a number of them located at golden mile complex along beach road. Budget airlines like airasia, valuair and tiger airways do not fly direct from SIN to KL. For airasia, you need to travel to Senai in JB, Malaysia to catch a fight to KL. I normally drive into KL which is pretty smooth all the way. But I suppose a plane trip is the easiest.
BTW goingtobeijing, if you want to visit Malaysia, have you considered going to Penang or Langkawi instead of KL?

kuranosuke Sep 17th, 2004 06:20 AM

i tried looking for flts on airasia fm sin to penang, but i think they only fly to thailand from sin. i don't think they are authorized to fly fm sin to malaysia.