Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Best way to get to Sulawesi? and....suggestions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Taiwan, Phillipines, Okinawa & Sulawesi in Sept.
This is for a conservation trip (as well as some sightseeing along the way).

Can anyone who is really learned in Asia travel tell me the best route to go?
We were thinking of flying into Taipei, go to the Philippines, back to Taiwan and then a short flight to Okinawa. The problem is figuring out the best way to get to Sulawesi , and from which of these areas?

Also, could anyone tell us where to go? how is the food? suggestion are so appreciated!

Thank you fellow travelers
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 11:42 AM

There is a long recent post about Sulawesi here - do a search. It has lots of info about food and accommodations.

I believe the only way to get there is to fly through Jakarta. I'd choose where to fly from on the basis of best flights to Jakarta.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 02:57 PM

You can also fly from Bali and, possibly, Singapore.

As Kathie suggested there's a recent post with lots of info on Sulawesi, mostly around Manado in the North.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM

Sulawesi's a big island. It's shaped like a pinwheel and has miles and miles of coastline and several airports.

The main entry ports are Manado in the North and Makassar in the South. Makassar is sometimes called Ujung Padang. There are small domestic airports in several other towns. Roads are bad, ferries are unreliable and there is no railroad so commuter airlines are the common means of transportation for the local population.

Most reef activities are centered around Manado (although there are excellent diving sites all around Sulawesi) and Makassar is the access point to the interior area of Tanah Toraja.

You can fly non-stop to Manado from Jakarta, Bali (Denpasar) or from Singapore.

You can fly non-stop to Makassar/Ujung Padang from Jakarta, Denpasar and Kuala Lumpur plus several other Indonesian towns.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:17 PM

Ah, Marmot, you always have the most complete info. Thanks! I had recently looked into Sulawesi for a trip ( it was on my list to be considered for November) and only found the flights through Jakarta and Denpasar. Knowing there are flights from Singapore gives added flexibility in my planning for a future trip.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM

As mentioned above there are 2 main ports of entry by flight into Sulawesi.Makassar in South Sulawesi & Manado in N.Sulawesi.
Sulawesi is an orchid shaped island,divided into 4 provinces.South Sulawesi(Makassar),Southeast Sulawesi (Kendari),Central Sulawesi (Palu )& N.Sulawesi (Manado).
Air asia flies KL to Manado & Makassar.Frequency I think is thrice a week.Check with their web site.
Silk air flies Singapore to Manado 4 times a week.
Garuda & Lion air connect Jakarta to Makassar/Manado.
Batavia Air,Mandala Air & Merpati too connect Jakarta.Highly unreliable.Prone to cancellations.
I'll update post on N.Sulawesi.Some more links to be added to it.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 02:23 AM

tag