Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Best way to break up travel from Claifornia to Nepal?

Best way to break up travel from Claifornia to Nepal?

Dec 29th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Best way to break up travel from Claifornia to Nepal?

This is my first trip to Asia where we have a pilgrimage planned in Nepal in October. It seems a long 24 flight from SFO to Kathmandu, so we would be delighted with some ideas of how we might break up the long flight there. I am interested in possibly seeing Bali on the way back—some interesting and nurturing place after our trekking in Nepal. Love to hear positive suggestions. Cheers & thanks!
Dec 29th, 2017, 09:57 PM

I would take a Cathay Pacific flight to Hong Kong, and then a Dragon Air flight (part of Cathay) to Kathmandu. I checked a random date in October, and fares start at $750 per person. I typically use miles for booking with Cathay, so I'm not sure how long you can stop in Hong Kong, but it's always a fun place to stop for a day. I really like Cathay, it's one of the best airlines around.
Dec 30th, 2017, 06:44 AM

Bali is far out of your way. It would add many hours to your flights.

Spending a night somewhere on your way or way back sounds like a great idea, but it only delays your adaptation to the new time zone. In my experience, what you want is to choose a flight that takes the least amount of time from home to your destination. Expect that you will be exhausted when you arrive, take a few days to rest and relax and adapt to your new environment.
Dec 30th, 2017, 07:43 PM

Sounds like you want to break up the trip both going and returning. I've sometimes taken breaks between SFO and DEL (haven't flown directly to Nepal) in London. It might seem counterintuitive directionally, but the flight combinations that head East via Europe are shorter duration than those that cross the Pacific. Do a search of websites showing multiple airlines on the same routes, and you'll see what I mean.
That said, I agree with CL's recco of Hong Kong as a wonderful stopover. Try for at least a couple days, if you have sufficient time.
Dec 30th, 2017, 10:27 PM

Seoul, Hong Kong, bangkok, Singapore, Mumbai, Delhi, Dubai, Doha all make sense to me
Dec 31st, 2017, 12:28 AM

We finished our 5 week trip to Nepal with a few nights in Boudhanath, staying at a monastery guest house, a stone's throw from the Stupa.

We spoke to a few Americans there, who had just been to a Pilgrimage Retreat close to Kathmandu. They topped and tailed their Pilgrimage by stayed in a Boudhanath Monastery Guest House.

Boudhanath is a truly atmospheric part of Kathmandu, and far enough away from the awful pollution in the city.

A couple or so nights there will give you time to get over the trip, and also be in a magical place with like-minded people.

Just thought I'd say, as an alternative to what you've asked.
Dec 31st, 2017, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all who’ve offered great advice! Much appreciate it!
Dec 31st, 2017, 02:29 PM

One small addition to the discussion. We went to and from Kathmandu via Hong Kong (which was fine for us since we were spending time in HK anyway). I think that we went on Cathay Dragon but not sure.

Both of our flights took place at night in the dark though so that there was no chance of glimpsing the Himalayas. Has anyone flown in and/or out by daylight and, if so, does that possibly add to the experience... or is that not a factor?
Dec 31st, 2017, 03:10 PM

It is certainly true that flying into/out of Kathmandu in daylight is spectacular. I've flown into Kathmandu from Bangkok and from Singapore, both In daylight. Yes, if you can, try to have at least one flight during the day.
Jan 10th, 2018, 01:07 AM

I have been to nepal and did trek to everest base camp . its amazing place for hiking lover? did you already booked your trek in nepal? i did this trek from one local agency run by the young and energetic guys. i can recommend this agency in kathmandu to you if you want.

Search this Thread