Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Best way to book internal air -- Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've planned a trip with stops in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap and Hanoi and am now ready to book the flights between those destinations. We already have our international flights into and out of Bangkok. I've done my research on Expedia and have identified the flights I want, but I'm wondering how to get the best fares. The flights are all on different airlines (none of the Thai Air passes worked for us). Any suggestions of websites, travel agents, etc.? Thanks for your advice.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM

I always use Eddie at the Am Ex agency in Bangkok. Tell him exactly what you want and what kind of fare you are looking for - lowest? totally changeable and refundable? Business class?

Do take a look at the Bangkok Air Discover Pass, as it's the only carrier to Siem Reap from Bangkok.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM

PS You have to book the Discover Pass directly with Bangkok Air, Eddie can't help you with that.

Eddies's email address; [email protected]
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM

Sounds to me like Bangkok Air's Discovery Air Pass would work for you. http://www.bangkokair.com/en/airpass.php
Book directly with them by phone.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM

I bought Bangkok-Chiang Mai return at thaiair.com and got Bangkok- Siem Reap return at bangkokair.com
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM

I buy my local flights after I arrive in Bangkok from local travel agencies. Most often, when in In Bangkok, I use the "Business Inn Travel Agency," Sukhumvit Road, Soi 11/1.

In over 10 years I have purchased many flights for local runs and for international flights to nearby countries - I have never had a problem using the tickets I bought! I never got cheated. Everything worked out okay.

You could spend a few days in Bangkok when you first arrive and get your tickets then. More flexibility this way because you are not stuck with tickets you bought months earlier and may have a change of mind.

Good luck.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM

I'd just buy 'em on line from the airline website, print out the ticket and it's done.

Most of these fares [if you do them on discount airlines] won't be much money anyway. You'll save about a dollar by shopping around. Do you really want to waste your time in BKK doing something you could achieve right now, on line, for less hassle and much the same cost?

Changes are easy.