Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Best way & time to reserve Emporium Suites

Oct 17th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

KimJapan, Kathie, Guenmai, MichaelBKK,
April 16th - 24th my wife & I will be in Bangkok. We've decided to stay at the Emporium Suites. Where is best place to book the room in order to get the best rate? How far in advance would you recommend we reserve the room?

Thanks,
Mike
Oct 17th, 2007, 02:44 AM

I'd say shop rates. Check various online booking sites, such as sawadee.com, as well as direct booking. You might e-mail them asking for their best rate.

When to book...usually sooner is better than later, but in the case of prepaid bookings, you run the risk of being locked into a rate even if it goes down...with direct bookings, you don't have to prepay and if the rate goes down you just change your booking to the lower rate no problem and if it goes up you are locked into the lower rate you booked.

Personally, I don't much care for the prepaid bookings. I don't like paying in advance for something I will use months in the future. I don't like having a penalty imposed should I change or cancel, which sometimes happens. I don't like paying before I've seen the room/hotel, especially if I've never stayed before, as if you've already paid and it's non-refundable at all once you've checked in even if you check out early like those rates are, they don't really have much reason to try to make you happy if you are not. They can more easily give you a less desirable room if they like, for example.

But, if you find a prepaid rate that is very much cheaper than the direct rate, then it might be worth the risk to you. For me, that difference has to be pretty big, so big that over the years I've only used a booking site and prepaid at two hotels. On those two occasions, everything was fine...it's just my preference not to prepay so I work hard not to.
Oct 17th, 2007, 06:46 AM

I'm sure Guenmai will give you a response. I know she always reserves directly, but she was in Bangkok and negotiated in person for her first stay there, then negotiates for the next stay before she leaves, so she gets a better price than ay of us could!

Do check the discount booking sites for "deals" as Kim says.
Oct 17th, 2007, 05:06 PM

I would personally contact them directly at [email protected] and address your inquiry to Mr. Pankosol(North) who is the new sales manager who took the position of the prior one whom I did business with for years. I had him paged at the end of summer in order to introduce myself and to put in all of my requests. We chatted for a good 15-20 minutes. He's as great as the sales manager whom he replaced and whom I'm still in contact with.
If you go directly through Emporium, then you can be pickier than if you do it through a pre-booking system and might end up with whatever. I NEVER prebook. I highly suggest that you ask for an apartment facing west...park view...as you will get a million dollar, unobstructed city view....shh...,but don't let this cat out of the bag. Smiles. I've stayed only in a west-facing, park view apartment, twice a year, for some years now. I've seen many of the apartments in the building, however and there was only one that I wasn't particularly fond of. So, you should be fine. They vary quite a bit however...a big choice.
If you are only two people, I would highly suggest to get either an 80 meter or 90 meter studio instead of a one bedroom....and 80 square meters would be perfect. The open space is great and there's lots of sunlight coming through and lots of space for clothing. The only problem is that they've decided on bringing back the old rule of studios not having washers and driers.... only 1 bedrooms and up. But, there's laundry service and it's very fast and not that expensive.

If it's an 80 meter studio apartment, then I'd request an apartment ending in the #15. The way that apartment is configurated, the kitchen is very spacious. Many of the kitchens are separate rooms which is VERY rare in serviced apartment buildings in BK. They also have some with an open kitchen floorplan.
I'm sure you'll love it at Emporium. I don't plan on moving any time soon. Smiles. Hope this has helped. P.S. if in any way you can get a corporate rate....go for it. The price will drop considerably. Also the supermarket is on the TOP level of the attached Emporium Mall. There's a passage way that leads from the apartmnet building to the Emporium office building and then into the Emporium mall...meaning you never have to go outside. The passage way is on the level that's at the top of the escalator when you exit the side door out of Emporium Suites. Bangkok Bank is also out the side door, but on the same level as the side entrance to Emporium Suites. Hope this has helped. Happy Travels!
Oct 18th, 2007, 07:23 AM

The above should have read 80 SQUARE meter or 90 SQUARE meter...so much for typing fast. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Oct 18th, 2007, 09:36 AM

To answer your question as to when to book...well...NOW! It's not uncommon for the building to be sold out. Happy Travels!
Oct 25th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Were you able to contact North? And have you been able to get your reservations taken care of? Happy Travels!
Oct 26th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Guenmai, I will be contacting him next week. I have a son living in Bangkok. Do you think it would be better to have go by and book face to face?

Thanks,
Mike
Oct 30th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Pulley...I would have your son go by and talk to North and see what he can do. I prefer doing business with people face to face. If you let me know when your son is going by there, then I can contact North beforehand and let him know that he will be dropping by to do the booking. Just page me here on the forum so that I see your message. Happy Travels!