Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Best time to purchase ticket to Thailand from States (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/best-time-to-purchase-ticket-to-thailand-from-states-729853/)

theqpq Aug 18th, 2007 12:39 AM

Best time to purchase ticket to Thailand from States

I'm traveling to Bangkok next summer (May, June) from San Francisco. My friend is traveling from Honolulu at the same time. When would people suggest we start looking for airline tickets? Earlier the better? All the tickets are > $1000 right now. What's the lowest summertime ticket that you've seen? Any suggestions on travel websites/"cheap ticket sites"/travel agents?

Looking forward to your responses.

theqpq

bkk95 Aug 18th, 2007 02:27 AM

I've used www.thaifly.com with some success. They have SFO - BKK for 675 not incl taxes for Sept 07 flights.

Gpanda Aug 18th, 2007 02:29 AM

Check out Kayak.com and Sidestep.com. Start looking now. I would not agonize over trying for the lowest fare ever. When there's a fare with which you're comfortable, just buy the tickets and move on to another stage of planning.

rhkkmk Aug 18th, 2007 06:57 AM

summer rates always seem high from usa...

normal from east coast usa to thailand is $1000+ and up to $1600. i would secure them by october to get what you want as far as flights...

rhkkmk Aug 18th, 2007 06:58 AM

i have my FF tickets already for april and did not get what i wanted....but FF tickets are difficult

Guenmai Aug 18th, 2007 02:05 PM

That sounds about right for summer. I live in L.A. area. A close Thai friend of mine flies home about once a year. I called her just last week to see if she was going to meet me in Bangkok at the end of next week. I'll be there until September 3rd. She said that she had tried all of her discount places and that the airfare doesn't fall until September 5th which is when she's going. Her ticket was about $850. whereas if she had gone even one day before Sept 05th the price was well over $1,000. So we'll miss each other by 2 days. Happy Travels!

smartcookie Aug 18th, 2007 02:33 PM

I bought my ticket from LAX to BKK for mid-November (starting Thanksgiving week) 3 weeks ago for $890. I believe about a month before that it was $820. I don't think it matters if you're going during the summer in the US since the weather is not the same there due to their varying seasons and mansoon seasons. I think a good price/a deal from SFO would be around $800 cheapest, so I would keep checking until the prices are around $800-900. As someone pointed out above, www.kayak.com and www.sidestep.com are good comparison sites.

Guenmai Aug 20th, 2007 05:01 PM

The prices do matter depending on season/month. Happy Travels!

smartcookie Aug 20th, 2007 06:11 PM

Oh, I agree the times definitely matter. I meant it doesn't matter if it's summer in the US (as mentioned in his original post). It matters what the seasons are in the countries in Asia you're visiting.

KimJapan Aug 20th, 2007 06:18 PM

The season in your point of origin matters just as much if not more than the season in your destination. Fares are calculated using a highly sophisticated (supposedly) method which takes into consideration not only season, but also current supply and demand, previous flight loads, current trends in travel, other airline special fares....the list goes on and on.

The best thing you can do is track fares for as long as possible so you know what a good deal is...and whenever it comes up, you buy it.

Frequent flyer tickets purchased with miles...that's a whole other can of worms.

funnetbabe Aug 21st, 2007 08:58 PM

favorite website to check on tickets
vayama.com, check it out