Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Best time to go to the Himalayas (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/best-time-to-go-to-the-himalayas-718773/)

SandyDennison Jul 6th, 2007 05:03 PM

Best time to go to the Himalayas

I am interested in taking in the three Elgin Hotels in the Himalayas and would like to know if anyone has been to them.

Also, what is the best time to go to avoid rain, clouds etc. ?

Any general tips would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

gshah18 Jul 11th, 2007 02:27 AM

The best time for the Himalayas as far as clear views is late October to January. It obviously gets colder the deeper you get into winter, and also many places the roads close. I generally think that November is the best.

If you go in April, May, you can see the rhododendrons in bloom - though mountain views can be hazed out.

baaj Jul 11th, 2007 08:36 AM

November

blgerber Jul 13th, 2007 09:00 AM

I was there in late april-may and had some hail/snow in darjeeling. Weather was nice in sikkim but clouded up in the day. In H.P most days were nice but got a few rained out days.

kirti Dec 21st, 2009 04:01 AM

Hey buddy best time to visit himalaya depends on the place you are planning to visit. Cause places like ladakh are best to visit across July to October, But some places are great at winter season, so it all depend upon the place you want to visit. SO where are u going?

thursdaysd Dec 21st, 2009 09:22 AM

If you're going to Darjeeling you should really consider staying at the Windamere.

vp_singh Dec 21st, 2009 09:29 PM

My memory of our Darjeeling trip is a bit hazy, for it was done, way back in 1997. However, we do remember that it was in the month of March. It rained for a day & thereafter, the sceneries were crystal clear.
The Windamere & The Glenburn Tea Estates are both excellant properties & you shall love your stay in Darjeeling.
In our Foot hills, closer home, the best time to be around is from 15 March to the beginning of the tourist season in May. During this time you will see the green mountains, as well as the distant snow covered peaks, rising one upon the other. There is yet a nip in the air, the Flame of the forest is full of bloom. The weather once again is great in the months of October & November, though the snow has attenuated on the higher reaches.
In Uttarkhand Himalayas eg. Ramgarh, Mukteshwar, Debidhura hills, the best time is November for the clouds have vanished & the views are great.
The Greater Himalayas do not fall in this general categorisation nor does it concern us.
Merry Christmas, Ladies & Gentlemen!

gruezi Jan 8th, 2010 07:27 AM

bookmarking...

gruezi

holikurry Jan 14th, 2010 01:01 AM

For visiting the New Elgin Properties at Dajeeling (New Elgin) , Kalimpong (Silver Oaks) and Mt. Pandim hotel at Pelling and Gangtok (Norkhill) - the best time would be March/April and October/November..... when the skies are normally clear and weather crisp (not very cold).

Visit Kalimpong on Wednesay and Saturdays when a superb weekly market is held there....

Darjeeling - keep at least 3 days as the first day shall be basically spent reaching Darjeeling from Bagdogra (airport) or th enearest railhead..... than at Darjeeling youmust try out the Toy train - do a short trip - Darjeeling to Ghoom and back... and do ot miss out the spectacular views of Himalayas from Tiger Hill (early in the morning).

Gangtok - keep 2/3 days again to see all the sights ....do not miss Rumtek Monastery located outside the town.

I personally like Pelling the best - for its ncie mountain views, cozy monastery and walks and hikes all around... Mt. Pandim is superbly located near the monastery and ideall place to be in.

All the best

Ajay