COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Best Thailand Tour

Old Dec 27th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Best Thailand Tour

Hi guys!

My friend and I (27 yr old females) will be going to Thailand in March. Never having been to Asia before, we were wanting to do a tour for about a week to get acclimated and not have to plan so much ourselves. We were thinking something with Bangkok and Chiang Mai with fun adventurous things to do. (We will be adding on some beach days at the end by ourselves in Phuket or Ko Phi phi).

Any suggestions on the most bang-for-your buck, fun tour?

Thanks!
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 04:02 PM

Do it yourself is the best value and you'll have the most fun doing what you want to do. Tours typically put you in hotels far from the center so even if you have free time, it's hard to utilize it well. Tours also feature shopping stops where the company gets a kickback.

Thailand is very easy travel. And planning it yourself will be good practice for your future travels.

March is not a good time to visit Chiang Mai because of the burning of the fields. Do you have flexibility in terms of your timing?
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 05:02 PM

Thailand is easy, but you might look at Intrepid Travel.

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kathie, Unfortunately March is the only month we both have free this year...
Any must see cities if we bypass Chiang Mai? Or even with the smoke is it worth going there for a couple days?

Thanks
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 07:42 AM

Do you need to breathe to enjoy yourselves? If so, skip CM in March.

If it was me (and obviously, it is not) I'd fly to Siem Reap for 3 days (4 nights) to visit the temples of Angkor. I'd spend all of my Thailand time in Bangkok and at a beach. I recommend against PhIPhi unless you are looking for a place with wall-to-wall people. Choose a quieter beach on Phuket - there will still be plenty to do. The one "tour" I recommend in Phuket is John Gray Sea Canoes.