best ryokan for the food in kyoto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read many reviews,good and bad....Looking to splurge for one night in late Jan to taste(mostly)and experience a traditional ryokan...yes price is always an issue but I'm only staying one night and dont want to short change myself on a once in a lifetime chance... I am in the restaurant business(chef)so it really matters about the best cuisine..time is short,so any suggestions...
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
kja

Hi, steveo -

If you primary interest is the cuisine, you might want to consider eating dinner at Misoguigawa - see

http://www.misogui.jp/eng/index.html

My meal there was one of the best I've ever eaten! It is not a ryokan, though, so it might not suit your needs. Also, it's a blend of French and kaiseki cuisine, so a bit different than you might experience at a traditional ryokan.

Hope that helps!
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM

I suggest that you not limit your dining options to a ryokan, if the food is your primary interest.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

By all means...I will eat out all other nights except the one night to slurge on the traditional ryokan...I am also aware not all ryokans take single travelers...Im just looking for the ryokan with the best traditional menu....any suggestions?
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:45 PM

I've stayed at the Hiiragiya Ryokan and we spent two nights there. The food each night were wonderful and the breakfast were equally as good. Out of the 10 plus dishes per each dinner we enjoyed all of them but I wouldn't know if they are considered the best or not since I haven't try the other famous Ryokan in Kyoto - the Tawaraya Ryokan.