Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Best route suggestions needed for BKK, Siem Reap & SIN or Kuala lumpur (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/best-route-suggestions-needed-for-bkk-siem-reap-and-sin-or-kuala-lumpur-876727/)

lovefood Feb 6th, 2011 06:02 AM

Best route suggestions needed for BKK, Siem Reap & SIN or Kuala lumpur

Hello everyone,

We are planning a trip to BKK, Siem Reap (Ankor Wat), Singapore or Kuala Lumpur in December. We are using AA airline miles which affiliated with Cathy or Japan. The below is my questions.
Should we fly into BKK and fly back from Singapore or Kuala Lumpur to USA? We need Halal hawker places and restaurants. Kuala Lumpur or Singapore for Halal Food? Should we fly into Bangkok 1st from USA? 2nd- Bangkok to Siem Reap? 3rd- fly back from Siem Reap to Bangkok? 4th- Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore and then fly back to USA.? My husband has a weak stomach, for that reason, do you think Singapore is better than Kuala Lumpur? Please advise us. Thank you!!!

Kathie Feb 6th, 2011 07:49 AM

Both Singapore and KL will have clean, safe Halal food - both restaurants and hawker stalls. There are flights between Siem Reap and Bangkok (Bangkok Air), Siem Reap and KL (very cheap -Air Asia) and Siem Reap and Singapore (Silk Air). Personally, I find Singapore a more interesting city than KL, but KL will be less expensive. Choose the one that appeals to you most.

I think you want a circular route so you don't backtrack...
either US to Bangkok to Siem Reap to KL or SIN to US

or

US to KL or SIN to Siem Reap to Bangkok to US.

Hanuman Feb 6th, 2011 08:47 AM

Between JAL and Cathay Pacific I would choose Cathay.

Agree with Kathy that Singapore will be more interesting than KL.

RJames Feb 6th, 2011 09:03 AM

I agree with Kathy and Hanuman, try to get yourself booked on CX flights as far as possible. CX is based in Hong Kong, they have flights from SFO, LAX, JFK and will soon start a flight from ORD. You could also connect via Vancouver or Toronto, Canada depending on which part of the US you are in.

Travelling btw KL and Singapore is very easy, there are frequent buses on this route and it takes about five hours, so depending on how much time you have you could include both cities. You could do this:- US to BKK fly to Siem Reap, fly to KL (Air Asia will be cheaper than Silk Air), travel by bus to Singapore, fly back to US from Singapore.

lovefood Feb 6th, 2011 12:36 PM

Thank you all. I will post a new question regards to hotel, once I have confirmed the flight with Cathy.

lcuy Feb 6th, 2011 12:53 PM

Flights between Siem Reap-KL are much cheaper than BKK- Siem Reap, so I wouldn't backtrack into BKK on your way to Singapore.

I did this exact route last fall: Bkk - Siem Reap on Bangkok Air, then Siem Reap-KL-
Singapore on Air Asia. I've been to both KL and Singapore, and find S'pore a lot more interesting, unless you plan to venture out into the Malaysian countryside.

If your husband has a weak stomach, yes, I think Singapore would be a better choice than KL as well.

rhkkmk Feb 6th, 2011 05:46 PM

i agree with lcuy.... sin for sure....look at the intercontinental hotel