Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

best route from Kansai Airport to Kyoto?

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to determine the most convenient way from Kansai Airport to Kyoto station, and it sounds like it's the Haruka Express (about 73 minutes and $27).

Is there a faster or cheaper train to Kyoto?

If not, would it be wise for me to purchase a 1-day "Kansai Area" JR West Pass and take the same Haruka Express?

I am already planning to buy a 4-day "Sanyo-area" JR West pass from a JTB office today. I could add on the Kansai Area pass to my order, because I've heard that it may be difficult to buy these passes in Japan.

thanks for your help.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:12 AM

There's no faster, but there is cheaper. Take a look at www.hyperdia.com and you will see that there is a local line to Osaka and with one or two connections you get to Kyoto. It takes about 16 minutes longer but costs half as much.

Thing about the Kansai Pass is (I am pretty sure) that it does NOT cover Limited Express trains. Maybe there is an exception for the Haruka L'Ex, otherwise you would have to pay the surcharge and that would end up costing more (i.e. the pass + surcharge would cost more than buying the Haruka ticket).
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion mrwunrfl. I'll forget the Kansai pass and find the best route upon my arrival at the airport.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 06:14 PM

We just got back from Japan 1 week ago. Besides having a JR pass, we bought a Kansai Thru Pass. You can use it to travel from the airport, but I think you have to go through the Namba station for connections to Kyoto ( I wasn't paying very good attention cause someone else was doing the navigating). It was really a good deal for us because it worked on busses and subways too, not JR stuff though. As I'm looking at the booklet now, it almost sounds like you might be able to use JR from the airport. It states, "The ticket can be used on all lines for Kansai International Airpot when traveling to Japan by plane ........ Fare is charched for using Nankai Rapit Express Railways." It also gave us discounts to attractions. We bought it at the Kansai tourist info at the Kansai airport. Also, unlike what it said on the internet, the usage days did not have to be consecutive. Of course, it won't be a good deal unless you will have other uses for it besides the airport trip. You can also buy some for Japanese residents too if they will be acting as your tour guides. 3 day/5000; 2 day/3800. We didn't want to activate our JR pass right away.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 06:16 PM

That quote should have read "...from Kansai International Airport..." not 'for'.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 07:29 PM

I took a look at the Thru Pass at japan-guide.com and it says that it can't be used on JR trains. Am not clear about the description of use that pass for Kansai airport. It seems to say that you can use it on the Nankai line to Kansai airport but you would have to pay if you used a Nankai limited express. Implication is that the pass would cover Nankai local trains to the airport.

Also found a Nara page saying that the pass is good on JR (I don't believe that one) http://www.pref.nara.jp/nara_e/00/
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM

From what we were told, you can't use it on JR, but that quote (in my above post) that I took from the booklet we were given, made it sound like the airport was an exception. I didn't see that till we were home. The person at the airport where we bought it was very helpful & I'm sure if asked, she would clear up this issue. My daughter & her husband used it to get to the airport from Tenri when we flew out. We didn't use it when we went to Nara, but that may have been cause it was so close and they didn't want to burn a day on the pass. It is good on the Nankai line, except for the Rapid Express. Here is a site by them http://www.surutto.com/conts/ticket/...dex.html#about