Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   best roof top/sky top bar in BKK? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/best-roof-top-sky-top-bar-in-bkk-516218/)

Janak626 Mar 27th, 2005 01:55 PM

best roof top/sky top bar in BKK?

for one opportunity to be sky high in BKK at sunset with a great view of, well, as much as possible, where?? thank you (I'll be out of the way in a week with all of my questions.)

dperry Mar 27th, 2005 02:35 PM

I love the bar at the top of Banyon Tree resort in BKK

rhkkmk Mar 27th, 2005 04:59 PM

the sky bar has gotten lots of press here recently....its just down the street from the banyon tree, at the corner of new road and silom...tall building with a hat on it or a crown

rv224 Mar 27th, 2005 06:53 PM

There is a sky bar at the baiyoke hotel - the tallest hotel in bangkok.

wein Mar 27th, 2005 07:04 PM

the newest roof top place is Sirocco bar n restaurant at the top of State Tower not far from the Oriental hotel.

rhkkmk Mar 27th, 2005 08:07 PM

the bar i was referring to is the shirraco bar at the state building....i'm told it is the best and probably the most expensive..

simpsonc510 Mar 28th, 2005 04:09 AM

I've been to Sky Bar, Baiyoke Tower, the Banyan Tree. There is no question, in my opinion, that SKY BAR is the best place to go for a view and drink and/or dinner. SKY BAR is the name of the bar at the top of State Tower. Sirocco is the name of the restaurant that is adjacent to Sky Bar at the top of State Tower. You can go to Sirocco to get a nice (expensive) meal, or you can just go to Sky Bar for a drink and see the view. Actually, I think you can go up to the top of State Tower and not buy anything... but you might feel a little bit chintzy if you do that. When you go to Sky Bar, be sure to dress nicely. The do have a dress code there.

simpsonc510 Mar 28th, 2005 08:20 AM

P.S. Sky Bar was rated the "Most beautiful bar in the world" by some British travel publication. Don't know the name. I only heard the rating.

The top of state tower has this huge golden dome. When you reach the dome, you go outside and step down this huge grand staircase (like a Greek temple) to either the bar (to the right) or to the restaurant (to the left). The air is soooooo fresh up there. And the view.... cannot be duplicated anywhere!

rhkkmk Mar 28th, 2005 08:22 AM

"fresh" air carol??? now that is pushing it in bkk

simpsonc510 Mar 28th, 2005 08:30 AM

Hey Bob, I was just checking out a link for Faces and I found a noting of State Tower and Sirocco. THEY said the name of the bar at the top of State Tower is DISTEL. I've never heard that one before!! I've heard all my BKK friends call it Sky Bar. Go figure...

By "fresh" I just mean that the air is cooler and there is a very lovely breeze up there. It's delightful! The temp is much nicer than on the city streets, for sure! Plus, you don't smell the exhaust from the cars and tuk tuks and buses.

There is also live jazz music up there. Do add it to your "must do" list for your next trip.

Carol

rhkkmk Mar 28th, 2005 09:27 AM

it is on my list, but i have crossed off sirrocco for dinner and will do faces an additional time...sir. just seems too expensive and pretensious perhaps..i like the biscotti atmosphere the best....we will do the bar at least once...the nite we are staying at the holiday inn...just one nite.... would be a good nite....we are trying a new restaurant that nite also on conveant rd...it is in a space of a newish place that we tried 2 years ago that did not make it...old thai house with charming interiors...the name is six degrees...42 convenant rd....near swiss inn hotel---across the street in a small soi....that's a happening neighborhood,,,,have you been there...off silom

simpsonc510 Mar 28th, 2005 07:54 PM

I've heard of 6 Degrees but have not been there.

glorialf Mar 29th, 2005 04:40 AM

Bob-- You're right to cross off Sirocco. Way overpriced and a bit pretentious for what it is. Seemed more like a NY restaurant to me and I don't need to go to Bangkok for that! The bar is the way to.i

Scotters Mar 29th, 2005 06:03 AM

If you want to see some pictures of Sirocco's then check this web site. http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/bui...te/state.shtml

watakeet Mar 29th, 2005 06:44 AM

The bar inside the dome in the state building is called "distil", whereas the bar out there next to sirocco restaurant is called sky bar. I've been to distil for drinks in february and went out there for a couple of minutes for the view but that day was quite windy. service there is very good, but the entrance to the building is way too funny... looks like it is still under renovation.

didibobi Mar 29th, 2005 07:13 AM

Are there any bar stools at the Skybar? It's not too clear on the website. I have a reservation at Sirocco for end of April, but if it's really pretensious, then maybe we'll just go for drinks. How expensive is it? How much would dinner for two without wine cost?

glorialf Mar 29th, 2005 07:59 AM

Sirocco was in the same price range as Normandie Room and, in my opinion, not worth it. Not that there was anything wrong with it but I really felt like I was in NYC. The view is great but you can get that at the bar.

simpsonc510 Mar 29th, 2005 09:56 AM

Beer is probably $5-6 and a bottle of Woodbridge wine is 3000 baht. There are a FEW bar stools. We ended up just standing both times I was there. But standing by the "edge" and looking down on the city was awesome!
Carol

rhkkmk Mar 29th, 2005 06:15 PM

if you go onto sirocco's web site there is a menu with prices...its at the top of the cost bracket for bkk...