Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Best Quiet Hotels for first trip to Bali (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/best-quiet-hotels-for-first-trip-to-bali-631297/)

alioop Jul 16th, 2006 09:52 AM

Best Quiet Hotels for first trip to Bali

It's our first trip to Bali to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We're looking for a hotel with nice grounds, gardens, Balinese feel, and luxurious rooms and baths. Would like something very clean and newly renovated if older hotel. We will have 2 weeks and are thinking of staying half the time at the beach and half near Ubud. Which hotels on a nice beach would be the most quiet (no jet skis, vendors, etc.) We would like to spend between $100 - $200 a night.

For the beach are thinking of Legian (if we can wrangle a deal), Nusa Dua, Ritz Carlton, Intercontinental or Grand Hyatt.

We are looking at Ibah, Alila Ubud, Kayumanis, Uma Ubud, Maya Ubud, Puri Wulandari and Royal Pita Maha in Ubud. Having a very hard time deciding between these hotels.

Also, should we stay at more than 2 places for a 2 week stay. Again, we want to combine relaxing with touring.

Thanks for any advice.

Kathie Jul 16th, 2006 10:07 AM

I wouldn't recommend any place in the Nusa Dua area, as it's a sterile tourist enclave. Look for Marmot's recommendations for places to stay along the more northern coast of Bali. She always has great suggestions.

StanKase Jul 16th, 2006 10:55 AM

The Four Seasons-Sayan in Ubad is more than $200 (with lower tourism there past 2 years it may be $250, but a deluxe room on the river is "heaven on earth" The food is excellent but expensive but worth at least 1 dinner there. We spent 4 nights there and would rank it in the top 3-4 of all 50+ boutique and medium sized resorts we have visted. Get a guide for 2 5-6 hour tours of the jungle, monkey preserve and rice fields. Try NOT to go through the hotel and you can get a driver and guide with a very comfortable A/C van for $15-$16/hr. tops. We paid $12/hr in 2002.I think they will pick you up at the airport Denpesar for the 25 mile trip to the resort.

Craig Jul 16th, 2006 01:58 PM

We were there for 2 weeks and stayed at 3 places - the beach is no big deal so I would not make that a priority. The farther north you go, the quieter it is. If you are looking for a very quiet place at the top of your price range in the north (maybe a 3rd stop), consider Damai Resort - absolutely beautiful - do go for the deluxe rooms with the whirlpool "spa". We also stayed at Maya Ubud - very nice - only 5 minutes by shuttle or taxi from town.

marmot Jul 16th, 2006 04:38 PM

alioop, none of the beaches in southern Bali is quiet in the sense of being deserted and pristine. Jet skis are restricted in most areas, but vendors are everywhere.

All of the areas that your are looking at -- Nusa Dua, Jimbaran, Seminyak -- are heavily populated, so if you want to get away from it all you'll need to go somewhere else.

I appreciate Kathie's compliments but in fact I haven't been to Northern Bali for many years so I'm not up to date on how it's developed. Basically the Legian gives me everything I need in a beach resort so I just keep going back there.

I happen to really like the combination of the Legian and beach at Seminyak. The beach itself is lively but the peaceful grounds and beautiful rooms allow you to get away from the action. At the same time it's close to restaurants and shops so you can take advantage of "civilization" without suffering interminable cab rides.

Nusa Dua is a tourist enclave. The beach is long and sandy but when the tide goes out you have to walk half a mile to get to the sea. The Grand Hyatt is an enormous resort. The gardens are lovely but it is definitely international in feel not Balinese.

The Ritz Carlton is also a large multi-faceted property that is isolated but self-contained. It is located on a cliff overlooking the sea. Great views but to actually get to the beach you have to go down (and eventually up) many, many steps.

The Intercontinental is an older property that has had a lot of recent renovation. The grounds are very nice. Jimbaran is a fairly good beach but has suffered from natural erosion. The down side is that you're close to the airport and watch airplanes all day and night. There's a nice community nearby plus the seafood restaurants on the beach are popular.

I think all of your choices in the Ubud area are good ones -- they all have pluses and minuses. I've not stayed at Kayumanis yet, but that's next on my list. It's really lovely.

taitai Jul 17th, 2006 04:53 AM

I have stayed at all the Amans, the Ritz and the 4S in Bali. I would strongly vote for the Ritz in Jimbaron. It was a great hotel and an exceptional deal for the money. Yes, the beach is a bit of a pain but it has a great pool and a wonderful staff and is simply beautiful. We even left the Amandari a day early to go back to the Ritz we liked it that much.

In the Ubud area, if you can swing it, stay at the Four Seasons Sayan. It is simply the most wonderful place ever. Even if it means you stay somewhere cheaper in Jimbaron to swing the Four Seasons, do that. It is that great..we didn't ever want to leave.

Have fun, Bali is wonderful.

taitai