Best Price, Best Car Rentals in Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am considering a driving tour from Bangkok South toward Koh Samui and Krabi in mid September. What Bangkok based car rental organization offers the best cars at the best price? Not looking for the cheapest but the most reputable. Also, what is the drive like between Krabi and Phuket?
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 06:47 PM

avis is about the biggest in thailand...hope you don't intend to drive in bkk and its surroundings...its not easy and poorly marked...

would you consider hiring the car from hua hin...??

the driving in the area around HH is very easy and little traffic...

this will be the rain and flooding timeframe...are you prepared for that??
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:16 PM

I have done several driving tours in Thailand and would recommend Budget. They are usually the cheapest and have a good range of (new)cars. If you go on to their website www.budget.co.th you can download pdfs of their "great drives" of Thailand which contain maps, detailed directions for a variety of suggested drives (inc Phuket. They also include recommended places to stay and visit en route
The one time I used Avis the car was old and dirty ( apparently all they had despite my having booked months in advance!) - never again.
I would suggest picking up the car at the airport as it is a straightforward, well signposted drive out on the expressway to the south. The budget office is across the road from terminal 1 next to Dorn Muang railway station and if you are staying in Bangkok pre drive it is easy to get the train from Huamlampong station. I can't comment on the drive between Krabi & Phuket as we went north to Khao Lak, but I have heard it is spectacular. Have fun!
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking of driving south from Bangkok to Hua Hin and then as far south as time and weather allow. Have flexible time frame and I'm not much of a beach sitter though I love the water and air.

Another option would be to fly to Phuket, rent a car there and then move South and east. I'm understanding weather in September is better on Gulf side. I'd like to see Andaman and Gulf of Siam towns. With this option I would miss Hua Hin. But maybe this doesn't matter all that much.

What is the drive like from Phuket to the Gulf Side? Is it mountainous and slow or a straight shot. Map didn't look too promising

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:37 AM

Just remember one thing.. IT"S YOUR FAULT.. if you get in an accident in thatiland if your a farang it's automaticly your fault.

also NOTE that the road you took a couple of hours ago heading one dirction. may now be a bus lane going the opposite dirctions.

NOTE. motorbike go all dirctions let alone sidewalks.

do as the local farang do..always cary about a 1000 baht in hundred's in case you need too bribe a police for some reason.
-----------------
IF your comming from a thirtd world contry then you should alrady no the game. ..
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:01 PM

crell has said that it is easy to drive through bkk and that the roads are well marked....i have not driven myself, but i have often been a passenger who is interested in where he is going and i have never seen one single sign that points you in any direction, other than pattaya.... most signs have the names of areas, like bang noi or streets like sukhumvit....as off ramps...the highways have huge interchanges and i feel that one really needs to know where they need to go in order to get there...if you are familiar with bkk and its surroundings then you might and i mean might be fine...the drivers are crazy and unpredictable....as orgy points out you are at fault and have baht ready....plus traffic is very heavy and there are no rest areas or service areas...IT WILL NOT BE EASY... once out of bkk it will be easier but the singage is not great...sorry to disagree...i was not going to reply but i felt i had to...
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:02 PM

my avis cars have always been clean and almost new....budget is a good option as well...i think they are all thai owned franchises...
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:27 AM

If you are heading south I would strongly suggest you take a taxi or limo to Hua hin and rent from there. The routes taken by drivers varies as to time of day/day of week, they know the routes and these differ as certain parts of the expressway system get clogged up any time of day at different points.

There are no 'signs' such as 'South' or 'Southern Destinations', 'Hua Hin' or even Phetchaburi until you are well off the expressway system. There is also a place where the sign is directed to Somat Prakom where although the arrow points right you need to go left! I 'always' use a driver into and out of Bangkok even after all these years or I drive to a shopping mall on the outer suburbs and cab to/from the center.

I will post a spearate one on the routing south
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:43 AM

Bangkok to Hua Hin ( 180 km/ 110 miles ) about 2 hrs 30 by taxi or Limo.

Hua Hin good place to overnight. Budget Car rental is at Hua hin Grand Plaza, Avis has several locations. I would go for Budget because they have more locations across the country.

B 1,300-1,800 for compact sedan.

Now these are options which you can include or not depending on your schedule:

Hua Hin - Dolphin Bay ( 30 kms/20 miles ) 30 mins. This is the Sam Roi Yot National Park area, although a short drive lovely place to stop. In same area are Evason, Aleenta, plus other accommodations.

Dolphin Bay - Bang Saphan ( 120 km/75 miles ). From here you can stay on the mainland or take a 10 minute boat to Koh talu island resort, quiet, snorkeling, leave car on mainland as only a motor-boat.

Bang Saphan-Chumphon ( 125 km/80 miles ), best place is the Chumphon Cabana Resort, from here you can take a Jet power Catermaran to Koh Tao for the day trip for more snorkeling and diving, makes a nice day out. Leave car at resort.

Chumphon - Surat Thani ( 170 km / 110 miles ), if you are taking your car across you have to go another 60-80 km to 'Don Suk' for the Car ferry for Koh Samui.

When you return from Samui you head back towards Surat Thani and take the turn to Phuket 20 km before Surat Thani Town.

From Hua Hin all the way to Surat Thani is dual highway, easy road, watch for speed cops and don't cruise in right hand lane as they are over the ridges waiting !

Road from Sura Thani towards Krabi and Phuket is normal single road, very windy, lots of bends. After about 90-100 km junction signposted left for Krabi or right for Phuket and Phang Nga, from there on to Phuket well signpsoted but 4 turns in total so you have to watch for them.

Fuel/services, lots, always go for PTT Gas station areas, Blue and red on white, these usually have 7-11s, they all have food places, many have coffee houses, some have even KFC. All toilets are squat downs. Fuel for a car is now aroun B 24 a litre, lot more than it used to be ! If you can get a Diesel car all the better as fuel about 30% less for diesels.
Don't take a Suzuki Jeep, they really give a loussy rough ride, under powered, not that stable, a small Corolla/Civic size should do.

Note what has been said about licenses. Don't drive after dark as lighting/trucks, non lit vehicles etc just make it a pain. I have reduced my own driving to a minimum.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Forgot the Krabi-Phuket:

From Ao Nang head along good road to Phang Nga, left it becomes dual highway all the way to the bridge across to Phuket, continues dual all the way to the turn-offs for the beaches. Easy. Not much scenary, better scenary is on the Surat Thani towards krabi/Phuket section.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Note that getting a car+driver from each hotel/resort that you spend the night is really recommended in my opinion. It costs no more than a rental and you can actually get to see a lot of the scenary as opposed to concentrating on the driving. In most of the locations you stop at you would have no need for a rental and getting about easy by local transport, tuk-tuk, taxi whatever.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:49 AM

I really should get my thoughts together at one time!

From Chumphon you can take the Jet-Cat to Koh Talu, this actually Island hops then to Koh Phangan and Samui, if you used a car+driver then from Chumphon you can 'Island hop' to Koh Tao, Koh Phangan and Samui.