Best places to bring parents when they visit Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am a new expat to Thailand, residing in the north in Mae Hon Son. I am thrilled my parents just announced they plan to come visit Thailand this May. As a newcomer to the country I don't know a lot about the best places to visit, and specifically the best places to visit at this time of year. I know in my province May is the hottest time of the year - are there parts of Thailand that are good for visiting at this time of year? No one really likes to do sightseeing in sweltering heat.

I would really appreciate any advice about areas that might be comfortable in May (and what to see/do there if you feel so inclined to share).

Thanks!

mp413
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 09:18 AM

Its gonna be hot everywhere. Bangkok is probably the best bet, as you will be able to spend a lot of time in air conditioning.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:04 AM

brad is right....

maybe some place way in the north around the golden triangle would be the coolest, but still plenty hot...

they need to see some of bkk of course...

hua hin might be a nice place by the shore also...the hyatt is really nice there....i always think it is cooler nearer the ocean
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 11:26 AM

Four of us were in Thailand Feb. 10-26. It was hot then, so I can only imagine what May would be like. However, our time in the north, including 2 days in your adopted hometown of Mae Hong Son, was much better weather wise. At least the nights were cooler. We LOVED our stay at The Fern Resort, right outside of Mae Hong Son. Peaceful, quiet, good service, etc. 35 Thai bungalows, all nestled in a remote, jungle-like setting. Has a nice pool! While in Mae Hong Son, we rode an elephant (such fun!), took a longtail boat ride to visit the Karen Village (known as "the long neck village). We also spent 2 nights in Pai (Belle Villa resort, another very nice place). We enjoyed renting a 4-wheel ATV for a fun (though dusty) ride around the area -- had a guide. We're 65+ so it is doable for "senior citizens." Also went to the Hot Springs there & to Pai Canyon. There is also a cave with a subterranean river in the area that you can ride on bamboo rafts. Cool (literally) & fun! Can't remember exactly its name. As others have mentioned, whatever time of year you need to go to Bangkok. So much to see there! Good luck!
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for these replies! Actually in Mae Hong Son we're at the hottest time of the month, and apparently it's hotter than most other parts of the country. (See this very cool interactive map: http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php.)

So almost anywhere - beaches, Bangkok - will be cooler, but question is, where will be be rained out? The map is useful but doesn't tell you what the precipitation is like (i.e. raining slightly all day, or major downpour for only an hour or two - which is much better for traveling.)

Any thoughts?